PLATEAU HELP!

Options
So in January, I weighed 109lbs and even now in March, I STILL weight 109lbs. I cannot get rid of this weight. How do I overcome this plateau? It's mainly a problem with my stomach. I'm pretty happy with the rest of my body. I can see my hipbones slightly, my collar bone slightly, my legs could do with a nice tiny gap but my stomach fat will not budge and will not flatten. How do I do this?

I eat around 1000 cals a day, walk 20 minutes a day but I'm not sure what to do now and what exercises to help? Any really good DVDs apart from the 30 Day Shred and any gym workouts that will help?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Take a 2 week break from dieting
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I dont mean to judge but why would you want to lose more weight if you only weigh 109 now first of all you need more calories and then do some strength training and stomach crunches if you want to get rid of the flab but good lord girl eat something :wink: :heart:
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Eat more. 1000 is not enough for anyone. Eat at least your BMR, no lower. You should probably be eating 1500 or even more, depending on how active you are in a day.

As for your stomach, do some strength training. Lift a few 10lb weights. Do some squats. You may never get a leg gap - that depends on your genetics.
  • mollybalmer
    mollybalmer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think because I am small and have a medium frame, it doesn't look right. I'm only looking to lose a few pounds and tone up really. But thank you anyway. :heart:
  • cluhmarie
    Options
    The fact that you are only eating 1000 calories probably has a lot to do with it. For most people, eating less than 1200 calories per day puts their body into starvation mode, which causes the body to cling to or even increase belly fat. Nourish your body with what it needs and it will reward you!
  • jodee_donavan
    jodee_donavan Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This helped me.

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

oh and you need to try to eat more- you are putting your body into starvation mode under 1200 calories for an extended period of time
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? 109 is a good weight. You're one of those girls that thinks skinny and flabby looks good. You are WRONG. What you need to be doing is building more muscles like the chick in the link below. Adding pushups, situps, lunges, or any kind of resistance training for your every day routine will do wonders for you especially since you are at an ideal body weight. Being that you are at an ideal body weight, you should see some results in just two weeks without a lot of effort.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvOIAgZD0ZY&feature=g-vrec&context=G2526611RVAAAAAAAAAQ
  • SweetLittlePrincess
    Options
    have you tried Zumba or any other fun dance DVD's that focus on abs? I love them. I'm old, but my daughter is young, and she has lost several inches off of her waist JUST DOING zumba and inputting her calories on here. I've lost 9 pounds and 1.5 inches off my waist in 35 days eating 1200-1300 calories/day and doing Zumba, Jazzercise, and Turbo Jam DVD's. And I'm 51 years old, 5'2" tall, and all kinds of metabolism issues that go along with being older & short!! If you can find a class, it would be even more fun - and it torches calories while working abs in such a more fun way.
  • Krissy_b777
    Options
    I dont mean to judge but why would you want to lose more weight if you only weigh 109 now first of all you need more calories and then do some strength training and stomach crunches if you want to get rid of the flab but good lord girl eat something :wink: :heart:

This.
  • reef29
    reef29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I honestly donot think there is anything wrong with trying tone up your body. Don't be so fixed on anumber, rather strength train and you will see results along with maintaining a healthy diet. Eat lots of Veggies, fruit, protein to tone muscle and water!!
    Remember the number means nothing, its the inches and they way you look is how you can tell the difference. Good Luck and ignore any bad judgement!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I think because I am small and have a medium frame, it doesn't look right. I'm only looking to lose a few pounds and tone up really. But thank you anyway. :heart:

Remember that the number on the scale isnt' the end all-be all in fitness. If you're looking to tone up, you probably aren't going to lose pounds on a scale. You also can't spot reduce, but you can strength train and tone yourself. If you just want to be skinny (as your profile says), then that's another thing. But, as PP have said, eating 1000 calories is going to put your body into starvation mode (generally) and lower your metabolism and hang onto fat. You'd be surprised what happens when you eat enough food. MPF tells me that I should be eating 1360 calories a day to lose .5 pounds a week, but if I eat that, my progress stalls, so I generally aim for about 1450 and that is working much better. GL.

PS. Don't know how tall you are, but I would say 109 is a pretty heatlhy weight. I hope you don't want to look like an emaciated model. I saw you mentioned on your profile that society makes you want to be skinny. How about being healthy so you can live a long, healthy life?
  • mollybalmer
    Options
    I appreciate all that you guys are saying. I have decided to up my intake and trial how eating 1,360 calories a day will do. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it out of my head that I will be eating too much and I will, without a doubt, feel sick with myself.

I have tried Turbo Jam Fat Blaster but I haven't got the other DVDs. Is there any free videos that I can try or anything free Home Videos, excluding the 30 Day Shred?
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    I appreciate all that you guys are saying. I have decided to up my intake and trial how eating 1,360 calories a day will do. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it out of my head that I will be eating too much and I will, without a doubt, feel sick with myself.

I have tried Turbo Jam Fat Blaster but I haven't got the other DVDs. Is there any free videos that I can try or anything free Home Videos, excluding the 30 Day Shred?

I just gave you a link to a free one. Here it is again. You don't think she's hot?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvOIAgZD0ZY&feature=g-vrec&context=G2526611RVAAAAAAAAAQ
  • mollybalmer
    Options

I just gave you a link to a free one. Here it is again. You don't think she's hot?

Yes, I have watched it. I do think that this might be a bit too intense for me though as I'm on medication which drains me out a lot anyway. I prefer and do much better, workouts that are fun and distract me so I forget that I am losing weight.
    For me though, I think she is a bit too muscular and I know that I wouldn't want to look like that :L
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

Yes, I have watched it. I do think that this might be a bit too intense for me though as I'm on medication which drains me out a lot anyway. I prefer and do much better, workouts that are fun and distract me so I forget that I am losing weight.
    For me though, I think she is a bit too muscular and I know that I wouldn't want to look like that :L

It took 5 years for her to get to that point and she's 30 now. If you check some of her earlier videos, she's not as muscular. Point I'm trying to make is, you're at a good point to start toning up. Your stomach will shrink as you actually start exercising instead of walking 20 mins a day and her videos are good because she works out 15 minutes maximum a day. Perfect for lazy people and good for women that are at the ideal body weight. Check the link below to one of her earlier videos where she has less muscle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwmUgVrUJ4I&feature=g-vrec&context=G2e635c1RVAAAAAAAACg

Take note that there are thousands of men in her video calling her hot with 16 million views. Skinny and flabby is not hot.
  • mollybalmer
    Options

It took 5 years for her to get to that point and she's 30 now. If you check some of her earlier videos, she's not as muscular. Point I'm trying to make is, you're at a good point to start toning up. Your stomach will shrink as you actually start exercising instead of walking 20 mins a day and her videos are good because she works out 15 minutes maximum a day. Perfect for lazy people and good for women that are at the ideal body weight. Check the link below to one of her earlier videos where she has less muscle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwmUgVrUJ4I&feature=g-vrec&context=G2e635c1RVAAAAAAAACg

Yes, see that one is better, in my opinion. No, seriously, thank you. I appreciate your help a lot :D
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you have Netflix there are a number of good exercise videos. Nothing "trendy", but hey... FREE. At least, they are as long as you are already paying the monthly fee.
  • cluhmarie
    Options

Take note that there are thousands of men in her video calling her hot with 16 million views. Skinny and flabby is not hot.

Who cares about thousands of men's opinions? Or yours for that matter? I don't need affirmation from thousands of men or from someone like you who thinks "hot" is an ideal set in stone that is the same for all people, and you shouldn't either. You'll never be happy with your body no matter how many pounds you lose unless you can learn how to love and embrace yourself for who you are.