HRM Longevity - Advice Please!

Options
Any advice on how useful a HRM would really be? I just use the MFP defaults for everything at the moment - the only ones I can verify independently are the treadmill ones I earn at the gym, and MFP is normally a bit below the treadmill (which takes account of age/gender/weight/HR). I see lots of people raving about them, but are they really beneficial in the medium to long term, or do people stop using them after the initial enthusiasm? I don't want to spend £100 (looking at the Polar FT40) on something that ends up gathering dust in a drawer!!

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    the polar seems to be the most popular. I loved my ventus till it broke down. I should get a new one back shortly as it never really worked properly. It is great because it more accurately counts your calorie burns. I miss mine boohoo. Get one, you will love it!!
  • kbandeko
    kbandeko Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just got one at the advice of MFP friend and the gym calculations were under for me. I got mine on EBAY at a reasonable price. Hope this helps.
  • lucybell333
    Options
    Thank you both - I think I may invest in one!!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 110 that I use for workouts (HRM) and for my run (GPS capable). I've used that thing 4-5 times a week for over the last year and a half or so.

Totally worth it for me. I can't say for you though - would you be committed to using it?
  • HayleyMcFadden
    Options
    I've had one for the past 6 years and I still use it religiously. Before I started on MFP I would use it to track my fitness - putting the data into a spreadsheet and graphing it (yes I know a little bit geeky). But now I use it on MFP and find it extremely helpful in tracking calories exerted through exercise. So much more accurate than MFP especially if doing something that's not on the database.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I HATE working out without mine.

I got one from Walmart "Sportline" for $50. It's great and works great and well worth the money,
  • Mom_4_More_Muscles
    Options
    I've had one for the past 6 years and I still use it religiously. Before I started on MFP I would use it to track my fitness - putting the data into a spreadsheet and graphing it (yes I know a little bit geeky). But now I use it on MFP and find it extremely helpful in tracking calories exerted through exercise. So much more accurate than MFP especially if doing something that's not on the database.

THIS!!! :bigsmile: I'm a bit 'geeky' too....OCD you might say!! :wink: I love my POLAR HRM!! I heartily recommend one if you're wanting to be accurate in your numbers and get the best results from all your hard work!

Good luck!! :happy:
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to mine, and have used it regularly for years. I replaced my 8 year old Polar with another Polar (FT80) in November. I am a data freak, and am loving the ability to upload my workout data. It's interesting to me to see it in a graph. Right now, my Polar tells me that since Nov. 28, I've burned 90,410 calories in workouts! It also gives weekly and daily totals, and tells you what zones you were in and what percentage fat loss you had. It's also far more accurate and personalized than the general formulas used on the machines.
  • debcarv
    debcarv Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I totally love my HRM, have a polar and use it with every workout I do.. I want to know what I burn in calories not someone elses, I also found some of the totals on here to be more than what I actually burned.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    i love mine and highly recommend it. MFP's calculations for calorie burn were always higher than what the machines would say at the gym, and definitely higher than what my HRM says. WORTH IT IF YOU'LL USE IT!
  • lucybell333
    Options
    Fantastic - thanks for all the replies!! I am a total geek, so if I can get with with numbers I can download, I'm definitely sold! It'll probably make me work harder too, especially in those killer 30DS workouts I'm currently halfway through!!