Healthy munchies!?

Options
Hi. I am new around here, so pardon me if this is a duplicate to a similar post. I am a grad student in the midst of working on a dissertation. Unfortunately, my tendency is to snack while writing. It brings me comfort in the midst of an anxiety-inducing process. While I try to fight the urge by drinking water, I have moments where I give in. Ideally, I will reach for fruit, pretzels, celery, carrots, and/or water. However, I'd love to broaden my arsenal of healthy snacks. What are your favorite healthy munchies? I also welcome ideas for beating my munchies urge.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and support.

Replies

• devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Oikos greek yogurt. It's got a good chunk of protein and is tasty!

Chewy Granola Bars
    Homemade trail mix
    Carrots/Dip

Honestly though...I "try" to eat a bunch of meals a day to combat most of the snacking. Or else I'll drink a big glass of water and chew tons of gum. :laugh:
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I portion out a bowl of nuts or whatever snack and log the whole thing right away. Then I savor each one and see how long I can make it all last.
  • cnhanson
    cnhanson Posts: 26
    Options
    baby carrots with 2 T hummus.
    Cheecha puffs.
    berries.
    I agree with the other person who said to log the food first then eat it.
  • SuzyQq02
    SuzyQq02 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Do you like tea? I find that drinking hot drinks tends to help me curb the urge to snack because it's more of a "process" than gulping down tons of water. I like both coffee and tea, but if you're worried about caffiene, there are some great herbal teas out there to eliminate the caffiene issue.

I don't envy where you are! I remember the endless paperwriting in grad school and it wasn't even a dissertation program. Best of luck!
  • marlanc92
    marlanc92 Posts: 11
    Options
    I love Chobani Greek yogurt. It's so good.

Special K Cracker Chips
    Wheat Thins
    World Table Brand Snacks
    Nabisco 100 Calorie Snacks
    Fiber One Oat Bars

All of these offer you great taste and a calorie range from 100-140 calories.:-) Also Cape Cod Brand 40% reduced-fat potato chips are also a great and healthy snack.:smile:
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Do you like tea? I find that drinking hot drinks tends to help me curb the urge to snack because it's more of a "process" than gulping down tons of water. I like both coffee and tea, but if you're worried about caffiene, there are some great herbal teas out there to eliminate the caffiene issue.

I do this too. Caffeine is actually a natural appetite suppressant anyway.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Annie Chun's Roasted Seaweed Snacks

These are amazing if you're doing low-carb. I could polish off three packs in a sitting eating these like chips, easily...and each pack is only 60 calories each, 2g carbs, 2g fat, 2g protein. They aren't too sea-tasting, if you're used to eating seaweed in sushi and miso soup.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Emerald Cocoa Roasted Almonds. :love: Hell yeah.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I slice up a red pepper, I'm slightly obsessed with them, nice and sweet :smile:
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I make popcorn on the stove. I use 1TBS of Coconut Oil, but Olive or other healthy Oil would work well too, and 1/2c kernels and it makes a TON!! Like 14 - 16 cups popped. I throw some seasonings in the oil so that it sticks to the pop corn. 4 cups is like 160 calories and a ton of fiber and 1g fat per cup.

You can also make it fat free and reduce the calories by putting some kernels in a brown lunch bag in the microwave. Just roll the top down and pop like any other microwave pop corn.
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Mom2M_and_O Posts: 214
    Options

^^^ THIS ^^^^ :laugh: The Cinnamon Roast ones are fabulous, too!
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Annie Chun's Roasted Seaweed Snacks

These are amazing if you're doing low-carb. I could polish off three packs in a sitting eating these like chips, easily...and each pack is only 60 calories each, 2g carbs, 2g fat, 2g protein. They aren't too sea-tasting, if you're used to eating seaweed in sushi and miso soup.

I've heard about these, where do you get them?
  • TheLastBeginning
    TheLastBeginning Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/511613-103-healthy-snacks

This was a pretty awesome post with lots of ideas!
  • maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Watch out for those cute little "baby carrots." They are loaded with sugar and can kick your appetite into high gear.

I LOVE Kale chips. Crispy, delicious and nutritious!

http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/03/baked-kale-chips/

I use a healthy dose of Nutritional Yeast for B vitamins

Trader Joe's carries the seaweed snacks. Cheaper than Whole Foods.
  • celeste_xo
    Options

^^^ THIS ^^^^ :laugh: The Cinnamon Roast ones are fabulous, too!

OH MAN. i love the cinnamon roast ones!! I've never tried the Cocoa Roasted almonds though... I'll have to try those.. yum!
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    For me snacks are usually about wanting the taste of something, rather than actually being hungry. So I try to snack on things that take a few minutes to prepare (to slow myself down!), that take a while to eat (ditto), and/or that give my mouth something crunchy so I *feel* like I've eaten something. And I always try to include some protein.

Making tea or skim milk hot chocolate, peeling a grapefruit and cutting carrot sticks all take prep time. Anything that comes in small units takes longer to eat - just eat one at a time so they last - nuts, raisins or grapes, RF wheat thins (w/ a little cottage cheese), popcorn, even Cheerios. (I feel like a toddler eating one at a time! If I put them in a bowl it's tempting to scoop up a bunch and eat them fast, but if I put them on a plate and they're all spread out, I'm pretty much forced to eat them one at a time.) Also, I seem to get more satisfied from a snack if I've actually had to chew whatever it is! - I like yogurt, but as a snack I just don't feel as if I've had much of anything. So I'll mix a few ounces with some Kashi to get the crunch. And adding fruit/nuts as well makes it even more filling. Slice up an apple and put PB on it - only need a tiny bit on each slice to get the flavor. JetBlue has started handing out something called Popcorners, which aren't too bad if you don't pick the flavored kind.

One other suggestion someone gave me, to avoid mindless eating, was if you're going to have that snack, stop working, go have the snack and concentrate on that, and then return to the work. That way you can actually enjoy what you're consuming!

Good luck finding some oprions that appeal to you!
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Apple slices + peanut butter.

Almost better than chocolate. ALMOST.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Since I live on the run, I usually take a bunch of snacks with me. Some of my favorties:

Dried fruits with not extra sugars
    Nuts
    Veggies with Hummus
    Celery with natural peanutbutter
    Homemade trail mix
    Homemade granola bars
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    bump

Great question :)
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I slice up a red pepper, I'm slightly obsessed with them, nice and sweet :smile:

I like those red bellpeppers alot too... And the yellow and orange ones. I get a bag of the Tri-Colored Baby ones.. And with Wishbone sweet & spicy lowfat salad dressing, to dip them in. :wink: