Today, Im blaming genetics...

Options
Since they still havent created a sarcastic font- I will preface, that yes - I am being sarcastic - however.... I would still like to blame my genetics on my difficult weightloss journey.
I am 50% Swedish (dad's side)- long line of Swedes - we women are a burly bunch (at least in my family).
Everyone on my dad's side of the family is "stocky" (to put it lightly).
The women are just BIG. all-the-way-around. sturdy. solid. big-boned.
However, my mom is a little slip of a woman - everyone on her side is teeny-tiny. I tower over her.
I didnt inherit a single thing from my mom, except my fabulous sense of style & my sparkling personality.
My mom is super short. Im pretty tall. My mom has tiny lil legs. My legs are like tree trunks. My mom has a very large chest & carries all her weight around the middle. I am small chested & have a very long, narrow torso. We are complete opposites.
So i KNOW I got my "frame" from my dad's side of the family--- the stocky, sturdy, solid Swedish ladies. (thanks dad)
Kinda bummed - how do you fight genetics - I realize I have no choice but to accept it and move on. But seriously, its annoying & today Im blaming my genetics.

Replies

• kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

Hey my parents are from Germany and all the woman on BOTH sides in my family are at least 5'10.. I have aunts that are 6'2, uncles at 6'7.. we are all larger and loud..

I am with ya though - need to accept and move along is the only rational thing to do at 30 years old but I hate it too.............. :sad:
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    and of COURSE they didn't pass along their natural blonde hair!!!!!! I have to pay $150 every other month to keep THAT look up!! :laugh:
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    HAHA! YES - I cant believe I forgot to mention the hair!!!!
    And yes - the Swedes, the Dutch, the Germans - how did they all get so big????
    Vikings :drinker:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Got German, Swedish, and Norwegian on Dad's side and Italian on Mom's side. The women I descended from on Mom's side especially are some scary looking women. :wink: I'm not very big, but the genetics do not make staying in shape any easier!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Embrace your big frame! I hated being "big" when I was a teenager but now I think it's awesome. I like to tower over little tiny petite women.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I definitely hear ya... my Native nation is not known for being willow-thin. :laugh:
  • TNTwedell
    Options
    Got German, Swedish, and Norwegian on Dad's side and Italian on Mom's side. The women I descended from on Mom's side especially are some scary looking women. :wink: I'm not very big, but the genetics do not make staying in shape any easier!

HAHAH! Scary lookin women - they really can be, right? geesh:noway:
  • Incredmrse
    Options
    I'm Swedish, too, from my Dad's side as well. I have the same problem with the narrow long torso and the tree trunk legs. I know it's a healthier way of gaining weight, but it still sucks majorly trying to lose weight from the trouble areas since that is where I gain first and lose last. So right now with my smaller torso, my proportions are even more skewed :/
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya girl...I'm German too....or at least 75%...and I'm the shortest in my family at 5'9"...but I'm stockier like my dad...drats!!!!

Give a girl some love here...I didn't get it - so I work my *kitten* off ......
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Actually, you inherited exactly half of your DNA from your mom! =p
  • vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    My mothers side of the family is native american and we have good "birthing hips" and "squaw legs" which translates "big ole bottom half". So, i'm definately feeling your pain
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    My grandmother grew up on a dairy farm in Germany. I like to joke that I've got the German milkmaid build --- which, if you didn't know, means that I've got the makings of someone who could carry a cow on each shoulder.

I don't mind it, though. It gives me Amazon potential.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Sigh... yeah... when my sister and I used to complain about this problem to my mom, she would make a frowny face and say, "Oh, my poor dainty little daughters." I was taught to be kind and respectful, but there were occasional thoughts of me using my tree-trunk legs to kick her when she'd do that to me. :) ROFL!

Once in a while it bothers me when I think that I can work and work and drop a hundred plus pounds and I'll still be big. Shoot, I could be 15% body fat and still be big.

But I can move heavy furniture. :)

Shannon
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    so what i do know about my family is i'm Native American and Irish so I'm short and round but have beautiful eyes. I'm fighting (have been since 15) high cholesterol like way old man high. i'm at super high risk for heart disease and kidney disease so yeah i have been blaming genetics for the last week as i'm sweating and grumbling haha but i'm one of the skinnier ones of my family so it could be worse right? right?
  • JMVice
    JMVice Posts: 6
    Options
    I too take after my father's side of the family for my frame. We are Polish and while average height at an almost 5'6, I have the family hips. I am pear-shaped to a "T". I have found that while I cannot change the internal structure I focus on symmetry. I work my upper body-shoulders, chest for a more symmetrical shape and try to pare down the pear so to speak. :happy:
  • Nicci93
    Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I am majority Irish, German, and a teeny tiny bit French. I got the stalky builds of the Irish and German people... my sister? Teeny tiny France -.- sigh...

Darn you broad shoulders!!! Though I do like having curves =) Makes an hour glass figure possible!!!
  • TNTwedell
    Options
    I'm Swedish, too, from my Dad's side as well. I have the same problem with the narrow long torso and the tree trunk legs. I know it's a healthier way of gaining weight, but it still sucks majorly trying to lose weight from the trouble areas since that is where I gain first and lose last. So right now with my smaller torso, my proportions are even more skewed :/

completely!!! and agreeded - its "heathier" to carry weight this way... but its not as pretty. Oh well
  • TNTwedell
    Options
    BIG HIGH FIVE to all my stocky, broad, tree-truck-leg ladies! You made my day.... we feel the pain, embrace the genetics and move on to the gym, I guess .... :heart:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

completely!!! and agreeded - its "heathier" to carry weight this way... but its not as pretty. Oh well

Really? I'd much rather have big hips/thighs and *kitten* than a belly. Boobs would be nice, but eh' they are overrated.
  • questhaven
    questhaven Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My parents are Italian and Irish and I’ve been “blessed” with the same “birthing hips”. The first time someone told me that I almost punched them! :)