Flounder is not "Unda da Sea"...

Options
PixieGoddess
PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
...he's in my freezer! :devil:

So the last time I was at the grocery store, I was picking out the weight (ie, price) of tilapia that I wanted and failed to realize that I had wandered into the flounder. I've never cooked flounder (don't think I've ever even EATEN flounder) so I thought I'd come to the forums. Is it similar to tilapia, and thus I could use the same recipes/sauces/herbs? Or does anyone have any delicious things they've done with flounder?

Suggestions appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• cdcro
    cdcro Posts: 21 Member
    Options
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options

I had very bad flounder experiences recently. Fell apart totally, didn't hold up like tilapia does. My husband and I are currently living in separate cities and he fixed flounder with the same disappointing results. The first time, I tried to pan fry it. So I tried poaching it. Same darn thing. I did get it in the frozen food section of Wal-Mart, and I usually think some of their foodstuff is sub-par but I was there and picked it up anyway, against my better judgement. I have decided to hate flounder.
  • cdcro
    cdcro Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The key is to use an actual fish turner (aka big spatula) and don't move it so much. Most home cooks turn/poke/prod/flip food way too often. Add a little oil to a hot pan then add the fish and season, don't turn until it's basically cooked thru, flip and let the other side set and you're done. I read on here where people bake tilapia for 30 minutes and I just can't imagine how bland that destroyed fish must taste. All fish is good fish and every once in a while I’ll pick up something new or different and use recipes/techniques geared towards the fishes natural oil content. Relatively dry fish like tilapia, halibut, flounder, haddock etc.. can all be cooked the same, while oily fish like tuna, salmon, trout and mackerel can all be cooked the same.
  • Monkee8088
    Monkee8088 Posts: 143
    Options
    take the fillets and rinse them (gets rid of any freezer fishy-ness), then dry well and sprinkle with salt and pepper, dust with a little flour (you can skip this part but gives it a nice texture), then put a small amount of olive oil or butter in a nonstick pan and cook a few minutes on each side. now you can just squeeze lemon over top of fish or squeeze lemon into pan to deglaze and make a little sauce. SOOOO GOOOD!!! and as long as you watch your amount of oil, butter, and flour... its pretty low calorie :)
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    It's been a while but THANKS EVERYBODY!! I just breaded it lightly with flour, salt, and pepper, and fried it with a little olive oil. I let it sit in the pan until I thought it was going to burn and then flipped it - it was a perfect yellow-gold color! It was DELICIOUS!! My boyfriend hates fish, so Lent is a challenge for him, but he LOVED IT!!! Thanks, everybody! :flowerforyou: