Natural sugars...

Options
Well, I'm concerned that my diet's got too much sugar incorporated in to it. I'm always over the recommended sugar intake on MFP...But the thing is, they're all 'natural' sugars from fruit mostly. I absolutely LOVE fruit (and veg of course, but more so fruit), and I do have a sweet tooth, so, I suppose I've just replaced the massive amounts of 'added' sugar from unhealthy foods with these sources of natural sugar. I suppose I'm trying to lose weight, but to be more precise; to become healthier.
I've heard that fruit really isn't such a good idea if you're 'watching your weight' because of the high amounts of carbs and sugars they have.

BUT the way I see it is that considering that I quite literally don't touch any artificial sugary foods, it's okay, if not good for me to have the fruit...

Opinions? Should I be more watchful of the amount of fruit I eat on a daily basis?

Replies

• SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm no help to you on this subject as i have the same question. I had an apple today and wow did not know they had so much sugar. I"ll wait with you to see who has some help on this. Thanks for asking about it:)
  • Woooolywool
    Woooolywool Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know, it's hard to believe at first, huh? And not at all a problem.
    I just hope some more people share their opinion on it. :)
  • fishgoddess
    Options
    I'm no help. I went over my sugar at breakfast with a banana and a teeny tiny mandarin orange :-/
  • Embell0830
    Embell0830 Posts: 105
    Options
    Sugar is a big thing with me because so many times people forget that sugar can play a big part in weightloss especially if you have PCOS like me. I considered my self a pseudo self taught expert on the matter and please take what you will from what I have to say. I'm sure many will agree with me on some level and some people respond saying I'm an idiot, but hey that's their opinion.

Sugar is sugar natural or not, they body processes it all the same (information provided to me by a pharmacist who is also a nutritionist). The reason sugar is better from fruits and veggies is not the sugar itself, but all the vitamins, fiber, and other nutrients you receive from it. I tend to go over my sugar also, especially since I eat a banana every day, which has 22-27g of sugar in it.

One thing I have read consistently is that when you eat something sugary you should a protein with it, so that your blood sugar doesn't spike. Also supposedly you used keep your grams of sugar under 9g per meal, which is really hard when it comes to eating fruit, but this is something to consider (keep in the back of your mind) when it comes to processed products (if this applies to you).

Berries tend to be the lowest in sugar, which I find funny, because I think they tend to be sweeter then most fruits.

Be mindful of your intake to maybe two pieces of fruit a day, because sugar is every where naturally, ie nuts and carrots. Skim milk is full of sugar, so if your a milk drinker maybe look into coconut or almond milk as an alternative. I hope I provided you with some good infro that you can use. (for those out there that want to rant and disagree with all I said, please feel free to do so, this is what I've learned from professionals, college, and my own weightloss yo-yo journey)
  • Woooolywool
    Options
    Thank you! This is actually really helpful for me, and I really appreciate it. :)
    I sort of thought about it all along the same lines. I'll try to limit the amount of fruit that I have daily to the two...instead of the 5 or more (eeek! ha)

Thanks! :)
  • caat1rules
    caat1rules Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar regardless of the source. Yes there are different types of sugar but your body can’t tell the difference. People dismiss it because it is from fruit, why? because it does have other nutritional value, however, it is easy to overdo it with fruit.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your needs. I don't think many people are overweight because they eat too many apples. That being said, if you are diabetic, eating lots of fruit may not be "healthy." Find what works for you.

As a rule, whole fruit is better than juice because the fiber slows the uptake of sugars into your bloodstream. I try to eat protein and fat with my fruit (yogurt, peanut butter, cheese, etc) so that my snacks are more balanced.
  • Hanablu2
    Hanablu2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a big thing with me because so many times people forget that sugar can play a big part in weightloss especially if you have PCOS like me. I considered my self a pseudo self taught expert on the matter and please take what you will from what I have to say. I'm sure many will agree with me on some level and some people respond saying I'm an idiot, but hey that's their opinion.

Sugar is sugar natural or not, they body processes it all the same (information provided to me by a pharmacist who is also a nutritionist). The reason sugar is better from fruits and veggies is not the sugar itself, but all the vitamins, fiber, and other nutrients you receive from it. I tend to go over my sugar also, especially since I eat a banana every day, which has 22-27g of sugar in it.

One thing I have read consistently is that when you eat something sugary you should a protein with it, so that your blood sugar doesn't spike. Also supposedly you used keep your grams of sugar under 9g per meal, which is really hard when it comes to eating fruit, but this is something to consider (keep in the back of your mind) when it comes to processed products (if this applies to you).

Berries tend to be the lowest in sugar, which I find funny, because I think they tend to be sweeter then most fruits.

Be mindful of your intake to maybe two pieces of fruit a day, because sugar is every where naturally, ie nuts and carrots. Skim milk is full of sugar, so if your a milk drinker maybe look into coconut or almond milk as an alternative. I hope I provided you with some good infro that you can use. (for those out there that want to rant and disagree with all I said, please feel free to do so, this is what I've learned from professionals, college, and my own weightloss yo-yo journey)

Good Advice she is right about this. I also have pcos so sugar wreaks havoc. The fruits have fiber which is better than fruit juice almost all the fiber is taken out and i also agree with milk products. When you look at labels always look at the fiber content it helps to counteract the sugar. Foods that are fat free, reduced fat ect have a lot of sugar to account for taste because fat taste good and when they remove fat they replace with sugar. The sugar is worse then the fat to a degree. Almond milk tastes real good, try it I hope you like it. The poster I quoted did a good job giving you advice.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm old school. I have never in my life heard anyone getting fat from eating too much fruit. Processed sugar ofcourse isnt best for you but fruits I got no problems with
  • smoten
    smoten Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i am always over on my sugar, but it is due to natural sugars like in fruit. i was thinking about this today too. Good point though, about no one is overweight by eating too many apples! that kind of puts it in perspective. I've been really looking at my fiber lately and realized that a lot ot the high fiber foods have more sugar in them, so i guess its a bit of a trade off.
  • Woooolywool
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
    All this advice is great, it's proving really useful and interesting to gain insight to the different perspectives to it all. :)
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. A great thing you can do though is to pair any fruit you eat with a protein, like a few nuts, or an egg white. Slows down the absorption of it, so that your blood sugar does not experience a spike.

I talk about Low GI etc in my blog, if you're interested ^_^

http://tasteslikehealth.wordpress.com/
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Fat, obscures blood sugar readings, this is why eating things like nuts and high fat content foods along with sugar will produce a low blood sugar reading. This doesn't mean that eating foods high in fat is good with sugar...

Sugar found in fruits have fiber and water (I know this doesn't explain why it's okay to eat fruits high in sugar) but from what I understand (perhaps it is bro science) that sugar is released or digested slowly in fruits or things high in water and fiber (I am guessing the sugar is tied to the fiber or pushed through with the water) but concentrated forms of processed sugar has to be digested directly by the body with nothing to bind it with. Perhaps this is why diabetics tend to drink a lot of fluid when they consume too much sugar as well as the body trying to get rid of the excess sugar.

If you are trying to lose weight and you are trying to make sense of sugar with calories, I can say that because fruit has a lot of sugar, it has a lot of calories (but not compared to refined, processed foods) but say compared to other natural food sources (no processed foods) like starch based foods: potato, the potato does not have a lot of sugar and even rice does not have a lot of sugar but it has calories to give you the energy you need.

If you want to eat oatmeal but feel it has no taste, you can add a small spoon of brown sugar to your surface food (never add salt or sugar while you are cooking because you will hardly taste the sugar or salt).

Lastly, most of what I said can be found on Dr. John McDougall's web site so I encourage you to learn more about his dietary lifestyle and more about sugar.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=gpfPnlgnrJQ&feature=g-user-u&context=G27ec2c2UCGXQYbcTJ33YTcuMPMGBQpCua_qdkv49poWvu-OyHWqE
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Fat, obscures blood sugar readings, this is why eating things like nuts and high fat content foods along with sugar will produce a low blood sugar reading. This doesn't mean that eating foods high in fat is good with sugar...

Sugar found in fruits have fiber and water (I know this doesn't explain why it's okay to eat fruits high in sugar) but from what I understand (perhaps it is bro science) that sugar is released or digested slowly in fruits or things high in water and fiber (I am guessing the sugar is tied to the fiber or pushed through with the water) but concentrated forms of processed sugar has to be digested directly by the body with nothing to bind it with. Perhaps this is why diabetics tend to drink a lot of fluid when they consume too much sugar as well as the body trying to get rid of the excess sugar.

If you are trying to lose weight and you are trying to make sense of sugar with calories, I can say that because fruit has a lot of sugar, it has a lot of calories (but not compared to refined, processed foods) but say compared to other natural food sources (no processed foods) like starch based foods: potato, the potato does not have a lot of sugar and even rice does not have a lot of sugar but it has calories to give you the energy you need.

If you want to eat oatmeal but feel it has no taste, you can add a small spoon of brown sugar to your surface food (never add salt or sugar while you are cooking because you will hardly taste the sugar or salt).

Lastly, most of what I said can be found on Dr. John McDougall's web site so I encourage you to learn more about his dietary lifestyle and more about sugar.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=gpfPnlgnrJQ&feature=g-user-u&context=G27ec2c2UCGXQYbcTJ33YTcuMPMGBQpCua_qdkv49poWvu-OyHWqE

I was referring to the protein found in nuts, hence why I also suggested an egg white...
  • jenniferdances1
    jenniferdances1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't really worry about my sugar if it comes mostly from fruit. I mean, I've never heard of anyone getting fat from eating too much fruit. lol (I'm no expert though so I may be completely wrong.)
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    The sugars in fruit are kind of balanced out with all the fiber, vitamins and minerals. If all you ate was fruit, and you ate enough of it, you could certainly pick up some weight. If it has calories, and you eat enough of it, you are going to have more calories coming in than going out, and .....

That said, if you ate a couple of pieces of fruit a day, you are doing well. Fruit is part of a balanced diet (carbohydrate, mostly), along with protein and fat. Eat a varied diet, keep the calories under control, and enjoy the rest of your day.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It's such a crock that fruits affect weight loss due to sugar.

I'm a type 2 diabetic and the only fruit I have ever seen even raise my blood sugar *slightly* is pineapple. Even bananas - renowned for their high GI index - don't bump my blood sugars anywhere near a processed food with an equivalent amount of carbs. Most fruits are highly fibrous and that slows down the whole digestion and therefore the insulin and glucose spike. Package sugar with fiber and you totally reduce the effect of the sugar.

Look at any culture in the world that eats large amounts of fruit and you are unlikely to find any obesity epidemic going along with it.

Not to mention that fruits are packed with other good stuff, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals... eat yer fruit!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    For someone who doesn't have particular problems (such as insulin resistance), I don't find that your macros really matter that much as long as you get the minimum amount needed for fats and proteins.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It's such a crock that fruits affect weight loss due to sugar.

I'm a type 2 diabetic and the only fruit I have ever seen even raise my blood sugar *slightly* is pineapple. Even bananas - renowned for their high GI index - don't bump my blood sugars anywhere near a processed food with an equivalent amount of carbs. Most fruits are highly fibrous and that slows down the whole digestion and therefore the insulin and glucose spike. Package sugar with fiber and you totally reduce the effect of the sugar.

Look at any culture in the world that eats large amounts of fruit and you are unlikely to find any obesity epidemic going along with it.

Not to mention that fruits are packed with other good stuff, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals... eat yer fruit!

I am saying that food has calories, and if you want to lose weight, you have to eat foods that are calorie dilute, so yes, I am advocating a calorie reduced diet but with many qualifiers.

I believe that to be full, to have nutrition and to not eat concentrated calorie foods is best. That said, fruits are great to eat but watch your calorie intake if a person wants rapid weight loss. Sugar is, after all, an empty calorie.

Someone who only needs to maintain their weight can probably live with fruit.

Best case, in my opinion, eat your calories without sugar (starches like potato, rice, corn, beans) and eat one or two servings of fruit or add a small spoon of brown sugar added on surface food and make sure you eat your veggies for nutrition and to feel full so you don't binge.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I'm old school. I have never in my life heard anyone getting fat from eating too much fruit. Processed sugar ofcourse isnt best for you but fruits I got no problems with

Old school or not--sugar is sugar. Source doesn't change how your body processes it and the body doesn't know what it came from.