Sodium

Options
omg, I made my food diary public this week and I got some really good feedback, one of the items was to list/track my sodium.... boy, am I glad I am doing this because I am going way over every day, so I need to pay attention to this because I fear it may be sabotoging me! :grumble:
Ya'll are probably already tracking, and it has taken me year to catch onto this! :blushing:

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    It took me a month to catch on :) The first time I saw it I was at 4000 a day! HOLY COW!

It was tough to find food that I liked eating that was low-sodium, mainly because I was eating lunch meat. Now I buy the meat and slice it myself- works a lot better.

Hopefully this will be a big piece of your weight loss puzzle! :flowerforyou:
  • OhLaceyOh
    OhLaceyOh Posts: 30
    Options
    I DONT THINK IM TRACKING MY SODIUM. MAYBE I SHOULD
  • ianconway
    ianconway Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    What meat and brand do you prefer that's low-sodium? I noticed that the Oscar Meyer Deli Fresh Smoked Turkey is about 370 per serving.

Sodium is the only thing that I am having a time with right now. My Calories, Sat. Fat, Carbs and Protein are all there; just not the sodium. On the average, I'm going over by about 500mg per day it seems.
  • oohnee1
    oohnee1 Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I have been going over too even though everything else has been on point. Today is bad because I had subway and for dinner I'm going to have to make it quick so I'm grabbing 2 fresco crunchy tacos from Taco Bell. I guess anytime you get fastfood its going to be a lot higher in sodium.

228288.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • 2catowner
    2catowner Posts: 94
    Options
    What meat and brand do you prefer that's low-sodium? I noticed that the Oscar Meyer Deli Fresh Smoked Turkey is about 370 per serving.

Sodium is the only thing that I am having a time with right now. My Calories, Sat. Fat, Carbs and Protein are all there; just not the sodium. On the average, I'm going over by about 500mg per day it seems.

I like tuna, I guess I need to look for low sodium tuna - this is not something I look at when I shop, so this will be a new thing - i watch for a good balance of carbs, fat, protein etc, now I have to look at sodium also-- :noway:
  • 2catowner
    2catowner Posts: 94
    Options
    It took me a month to catch on :) The first time I saw it I was at 4000 a day! HOLY COW!

It was tough to find food that I liked eating that was low-sodium, mainly because I was eating lunch meat. Now I buy the meat and slice it myself- works a lot better.

Hopefully this will be a big piece of your weight loss puzzle! :flowerforyou:

oh I know! I'm at 3206 and i haven't eaten my dinner yet... :cry: Hopefully I can cook a lower sodium meal tonight, and tomorrow is my day to weigh....:ohwell:
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Low sodium meat is almost IMPOSSIBLE to find if it's pre-sliced. I went to Whole Foods and NADA. Kroger? HA HA

I go to the butcher section and buy plain ol' meat. Cook it plain in a pan then slice it up.

I've done turkey and chicken so far. Ham is reeeallly difficult to find.

You can't buy things like Butterball or and other plastic wrapped meat- they add a brine solution to it to 'tenderize' it. You'll need to go to the butcher stand and get the meat.
  • ianconway
    ianconway Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Low sodium meat is almost IMPOSSIBLE to find if it's pre-sliced. I went to Whole Foods and NADA. Kroger? HA HA

I go to the butcher section and buy plain ol' meat. Cook it plain in a pan then slice it up.

I've done turkey and chicken so far. Ham is reeeallly difficult to find.

You can't buy things like Butterball or and other plastic wrapped meat- they add a brine solution to it to 'tenderize' it. You'll need to go to the butcher stand and get the meat.

If you get it from the Butcher how do you find out what the Nutritional Info is?
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky - i have naturally low blood pressure. I actually had to increase my sodium intake after a few months of losing weight (doctor's orders).

I don't eat a lot of processed foods, so have never had trouble with my numbers.
  • gemiwing
    Options

If you get it from the Butcher how do you find out what the Nutritional Info is?

It's the same as any other cut of meat. Depends on the cut, animal and ounces.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm ALWAYS over on sodium because I have soup for lunch. I try to get the low sodium versions but I'm always over. Ugh!!!