How do you like your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I LOVE OATMEAL

Favorite ways:

For plain oatmeal, I like to do "PB and J" oats. I mix 1/4 c rolled oats with 1/2 c water, microwave until done. Add 1.5 T peanut butter and 1.5 T jelly

Other favorites:

"Serious Cereal" by Fitnessista *great for after a workout or before a long day where you have a late lunch or something
    http://fitnessista.com/2010/08/serious-cereal/

1. In a bowl, add 1/3-1/2 C oats, 1/2 scoop protein powder of choice (Sun Warrior is my fave), cinnamon, pinch of sea salt, a lil vanilla extract and some Stevia or sweetener of choice
    2. Mix well to combine. Add 1-2 T of your favorite nut butter and using a spoon, break up and stir until mixture resembles crumbly cookie dough.
    3. Top with at least 1 C milk of choice, and then add fun toppings. Get crazy I love goji berries, cacao nibs, banana, peaches, strawberries… the possibilities are endless.

And the breakfast cookie by Fitnessista: ** this is great because you make it the night before for a quick breakfast!
    http://fitnessista.com/2008/11/something-worth-waking-up-for/

In a small bowl, add 1/3 cup oats, 1 tbs nut butter of choice (I used raw almond) and 1/2 scoop protein powder (tonight was chocolate Designer Whey)
    Stir to combine and use the spoon to break up the nut butter until you have a nice crumbly mixture:
    Add 1/8 cup milk of your choice (For me, unsweetened vanilla almond milk) and mix until fully moistened
    Now the fun part- pick the mix-ins! You can get creative with this one– I’ve tried banana, raisins, pumpkin, chocolate chips, ground espresso beans… add anything you like
    Tonight, I decided on 1/2 mashed banana that was looking a little ripe
    Stir in your mix-ins of choice and season (I used a little Stevia and cinnamon)
    Plop the mixture onto an appetizer-sized plate and with the back of your spoon, flatten it into a round shape with equal thickness throughout
    Put the cookie in the fridge overnight. It will harden slightly from the nut butter and the oats will soften from the milk.

I usually adjust the recipe to be 1/4 cup oats instead, because the original is too big!
    I always use a banana as a mix in.

Another idea is baked oatmeal:
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/03/15/cookie-dough-baked-oatmeal/

Cookie Dough Oatmeal Cake
    (Serves One!)
    1/2 cup oats (50g)
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    sweetener, such as 1 1/2 T maple syrup or 1 to 1 1/2 packs stevia (I omitted, but I’ve cautioned y’all before about my lack of sweet tooth.)
    1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (60g) (Or sub banana… it’s awesome this way!)
    1/4 cup milk, creamer, juice, or water (I used 60g)
    1/8 tsp salt
    Handful of chocolate chips (and a few for the top, too!)
    Optional: unless you like the taste of fat-free baking, add 1-2T oil, vegan butter, or nut butter (If oil, scale the milk back a little. If vegan butter, scale the salt back a little.)
    Optional: 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cinnamon (If you like cinnamon in chocolate chip cookies)

Preheat oven to 380 degrees. Combine dry ingredients, then mix in wet. Pour into a small baking pan, loaf pan, or 1-cup ramekin (or, for mini boats, two 1/2-cup ramekins). Cook for 20 minutes, or more until it’s firm. Finally, set your oven to “high broil” for 3-5 more minutes (or simply just bake longer, but broiling gives it a nice crust). Don’t forget to spray your ramekins first if you want your cakes to pop out.

Some other great oat recipes by Chocolate Covered Katie:
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocolate-covered-recipes/all-things-oatmeal/

hope you try some of them! xox
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    in a bowl.
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    With fresh blueberries and almond milk. mmmm....... :)
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I make fruit compote in advance for use with things like oatmeal and for flavouring low fat yogurt. All I do is throw a punnet of blueberries or strawberries into a saucepan with a tablespoon of water and a teaspoon of honey, heat and mash up, and store in the fridge once cooled. Then when I want it I just take a spoonful or two for stirring into stuff.
    That or a couple of dozen raisins/sultanas with cinnamon put in before heating. *shrug*
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Ingredients:
    * 2 tablespoons fat-free vanilla yogurt
    * 1 tablespoon pumpkin butter
    * 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Nutrition: 137 cal., 2 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 44 mg sodium, 27 g carb., 2 g fiber, 4 g pro

:D SOO GOOD
  • wboswell88
    Options
    bump
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I like to eat Krasdale Quick Oats for morning. They are tasteless unless you put some imagination in use. I would take 6 egg whites and mix it up with 1 cup of oat (like omlet), and add some seasoning or salt (if you don't have seasoning).
    Believe me that the taste is great and the food is very rich and healthy ;)
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I hate oatmeal!
    But it is the only thing that stays with me all morning.
    I add a very, very small amount of walnuts, almonds, dried fruit with it.
    It works for me!
  • lisapet2012
    Options
    I eat organic oatmeal with flaxseeds, almond breeze and honey or brown sugar
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Try this... Rich in protein - perfect post workout meal : ) and soooo yummy!

http://foodiefresh.com/2012/02/06/dark-chocolate-cottage-cheese-oatmeal/

o.m.g. next time i crave dessert this will be IT!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    i ground quick oats into a flour, mix in 1 egg white, a pinch of salt, and enough almond milk to make a batter. PANCAKES BABY!!
    i use sf syrup or low sugar jelly. :)

I LOVE this idea! Thanks!!!
  • kaiteboo
    kaiteboo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If I have the time I like making carrot cake oatmeal!

1/4 cup Carrot - Shredded (or carrot baby food)
    1/2 unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 tbsp Chopped Walnuts
    1/4 tsp Cinnamon spice
    1/4 tsp Ginger spice
    1/4 tsp Nutmeg spice
    1/2 cup Quaker Oats
    1/4 cup dried raisins
    and sometimes I sprinkle sweetened Shredded Coconut on top
  • 00Steph
    00Steph Posts: 10
    Options
    I like to add pumpkin pie spice to my oatmeal!! Its super good, and an alternative to cinnamon when it gets boring! :)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    check out chocolate covered katie's website. Lots of great baked oatmeal (boatmeal) ideas. She has tons of cool ideas period actually!

If I'm eating mine out of a bowl as opposed to baked, I add frozen blueberries, flax and chia seeds....yum! I also like chopped apples and cinnamon.
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I actually just made some oatmeal a few mins ago and it turned out pretty good. I used 1/2 cup Quaker oats, 1 Tbsp. Polaner Sugar Free Strawberry Preserves with Fiber, .2 of a Tbsp of Nature's Way Coconut Oil and 3 packets of Splenda. Made a pretty big bowl, 186 cals, 5g protein, 7g fiber. =) Wanted to put fresh strawberries too but I was out of them and didnt know it til after.. lol
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    Old fashioned Oats - 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup of high protein granola + cinnamon + 1/4-1/2 cup of berries (frozen wild blueberries always and lately fresh strawberries added in ) + tsp of raw turbinado sugar + water - 3 minutes in the micro and then I top it off with almond milk!!
  • heatherlh83
    heatherlh83 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I don't anymore. I'm so sick of that **** lol. I'm making pancakes out of it right now though. 1/2 cup quick oats, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup egg whites, 1 scoop protein powder. Blend oats first, add other stuff, blend again. Spray pan and cook like regular pancakes.
  • emilyal83
    emilyal83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    5 minute Quaker Oats- 1 cup water and 1/2 cup oats
    mix in 1 tsp brown sugar
    1 tsp agave (I like the amber)
    1/8 cup (or a sprinkling) of sliced almonds
    1.5 tbsp of ground flax seed
    1/4-1/2 cup milk

Seriously my most favorite breakfast! This is also great on cream of wheat...yumyum!
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm boring. I like steel cut only with a little milk and a teaspoon of brown sugar. Mmmm mmmm good.
  • KitchenCourses
    Options
    Here are a number of ways to make it a little more interesting from my blog! Enjoy!

http://kitchencourses.com/oatmeal-toppings/