HELP!! - awkward fat distribution

Options
this morning, my boyfriend noticed my ribs and said that maybe i should stop trying to actively lose weight.

i'm 5'5"; at the end of the summer, i weighed 156 lbs. i currently weigh about 131.5 lbs. when i look in the mirror, i can see my collarbones and ribs-- so my upper body looks thin-- but i still have really wide hips, my butts not as firm as i want it to be, and i have a good smattering of cellulite. my lower body jiggles when i walk, lol :(

what do i do? should i cut back on weight loss and see if maintenance calories and toning exercises will help me even out my fat distribution? what toning exercises would you guys recommend? anyone else struggling w/ this problem-- and what have you tried??

feel free to look at my food diary. maybe what i'm eating isn't helping and/or creating this problem...?

thanks, guys!

Replies

• Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It seems to me like you have a pear shaped body and that most of your weight is distributed in your lower half: You lose overall body fat and your upper body looks emaciated while your lower body still looks plump... and not in a good way.

You could try and eat maintenance/slightly above maintenance and try a body recomp, but this can take years.

I don't know what you do for exercise, but people are probably going to tell you to start lifting heavy weights. Things like squats, deadlifts, bench press, over head press, etc. You'll need a nice solid muscle base underneath your skin to get rid of cellulite and give you a nice firm butt.

However, you will always be pear shaped, but you can do things to make sure that you rock that pear shaped body.
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    seeing as how we are sisters, I have the exact same problem/body shape :p except at least your legs aren't as bulky as mine!

Maybe drop your weight loss down to .5 lbs/week and try some pilates/yoga exercises that focus directly on your lower body...I did pop pilates booty blast today and it is a KILLER. I can see it becoming a regular part of my workout routine.

I've also heard that long distance running is also a great way to lean out legs.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    This is also how my body works. I'd suggest heavy weight lifting and eating at a small calorie deficit. I took it one step further and just finished a bulking cycle. Building muscle all over my body, including my upper body, made me look more proportionate (I think).

For heavy lifting I'd recommend any of the following:
    New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women
    Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts 5x5
  • ryvenna
    ryvenna Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ladies!
    Bump
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    That's how my body is too. It was the same (visible ribs) even when I was pregnancy. I haven't figure out what to help it, well the ribs part. I think my body looks proportional, the hips vs. shoulders. So just work on arms, shoulders and chest.
  • Tulukki
    Tulukki Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You and I have a very similar problem. I currently need to lose about forty pounds but you can still see my ribs XD I can confirm that long distance running DOES lean out your butt and your legs. I was a long distance runner in high school and I LOVED how my butt looked then. I recently was in a car accident and broke my leg in four places so it will be awhile before I can start running myself, but if there was any exercise i could suggest to help with your problem then this is it!
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My body is the same way. I generally call it good right before my ribs start showing, which puts me at about 17% body fat. This still leaves me with a moderate layer of thigh fat and a squishy rear. It's just how my body is, and I look on the bright side and embrace the fact that I will always have a booty :)