How do you like your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i like mixing in my own unsweetened applesauce and some cinnamon, and i think you might like that mix :)
    (and if you're feeling wild throw in some walnuts or almonds!)

and sometimes i'll throw in half a scoop of protein powder. strawberry, chocolate, vanilla, whatever flavor, it all tastes delicious!
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I eat old fashoned oats cooked on the stovetop, with 2T sunmaid dried fruit bits cooked in at the same time, 1 tsp cinnamon, drizzled with agave syrup or 1 tsp brown sugar.

Or the oats mixed with 1 scoop strawberry protein powder, sliced strawberries and bananas and a drizzle of agave syrup. Yummy!
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Usually I add 1/2 scoop of protein powder, cinnamon, hemp hearts, and peanut butter or nutella. Recently though I'm really loving just a little brown sugar and cinnamon. You can also add frozen fruits like blueberries or peaches but remember to thaw them first otherwise they cool your oatmeal too fast...learned that one the hard way.
  • LilRiver
    LilRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My favorite sweet variations...

1) peanut butter, banana & honey

2) maple syrup & chopped mixed nuts (or pecans if I have them)

3) apple butter, chopped apple, & chopped mixed nuts

4) apple butter & dried berries

5) peaches, milk, & chopped mixed nuts (sometimes with a bit of brown sugar if the peaches aren't overly ripe)

But my true love is savory oatmeal...

1) spinach, onions, mushrooms, parmesan, salt & pepper (sautee the onions & shrooms in a bit of olive oil, add the spinach to wilt it, then add the already cooked oatmeal and sprinkle with a bit of grated cheese and a pinch of salt & pepper... heaven!)

2) scallions, & turkey sausage

3) salsa & avocado

4) fried egg, scallions, & cheddar (this is super filling and great if you know you'll have a late lunch)

5) spinach, goat cheese, olive oil & nuts

(yes, I know the idea of "savory oatmeal" is disgusting, but try it -- it is amazing.)

And whether you're going for sweet or savory oatmeal, and if you aren't watching sodium, a pinch of salt in the water or milk is a magnificent thing. It doesn't make the oatmeal salty (well more than a pinch probably would), it just makes it better. Also, if you're going for a sweet oatmeal and want it creamier, bananas are your friend! mash up about a quarter of one and then leave the rest of the banana slightly chunkier and you'll get a nice creamy oatmeal that still has a bit of texture.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    If I have the time I like making carrot cake oatmeal!

1/4 cup Carrot - Shredded (or carrot baby food)
    1/2 unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 tbsp Chopped Walnuts
    1/4 tsp Cinnamon spice
    1/4 tsp Ginger spice
    1/4 tsp Nutmeg spice
    1/2 cup Quaker Oats
    1/4 cup dried raisins
    and sometimes I sprinkle sweetened Shredded Coconut on top

OMFG I think I love you. (No homo)
    And you have Hello Kitty cake. Yep, I love you.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I eat them plain (GASP) or with a scoop of flavored whey protein. Chocolate, peanut butter & chocolate, or strawberry flavored whey protein is what I keep around.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    love this thread keep the ideas coming!! I have a bunch I am going to try!!
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    With banana and flax seed. If I can spare the calories, then walnuts too!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Quaker oats and a sliced-up banana.
  • Agefyter
    Agefyter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    McCann's 5 minute Steel Cut oats, plain, with one glorious fried egg on top. It's my grits substitute.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Normally on the stove, but I have been very lazy lately, so I've been having quick oats haha.
    I looove it with a teaspoon of peanut butter, a scoop of vanilla protein powder, 5 Almonds and some fruit :)

Oh and a quarter cup of soy milk of course!!
  • katiema79
    Options
    I like mine simple, just a touch of butter (just to taste really) and a Tbsp on real sugar. It is worth it for me, just makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    But my true love is savory oatmeal...

1) spinach, onions, mushrooms, parmesan, salt & pepper (sautee the onions & shrooms in a bit of olive oil, add the spinach to wilt it, then add the already cooked oatmeal and sprinkle with a bit of grated cheese and a pinch of salt & pepper... heaven!)

2) scallions, & turkey sausage

3) salsa & avocado

4) fried egg, scallions, & cheddar (this is super filling and great if you know you'll have a late lunch)

5) spinach, goat cheese, olive oil & nuts

(yes, I know the idea of "savory oatmeal" is disgusting, but try it -- it is amazing.)

I am a fan of savory oatmeal too. Here are pics of one I put up on another thread. I added bacon, sauteed onions, grated cheddar to the oatmeal (sometimes I'll cook the oatmeal in chicken stock instead of water).

120226_breakfast1-1.jpg

Then topped it with a couple of eggs over easy.

120226_breakfast2-1.jpg

Depending on your tastes, put a little drizzle of maple or Cholula hot sauce or both on top.
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Slenpda brown sugar with blueberries! Yum! My favorite breakfast.
  • amaryllis88
    amaryllis88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever tried making my own oatmeal, but a few things I like to stir in are pieces of pecans, raisens, and sometimes for a sweet treat I'll stir in some dark/milk chocolate pieces, and it's so delish!! :smile:
  • scatgash
    scatgash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Scotts Porage Oats, cooked on the hob with Oatly Oat Milk and then chopped mango on the top :3
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    lately with brown sugar and maple syrup - but it's a LOT of carbs sooo, i don't eat it that way often. it's good with berries & honey though, also. that's my go to.
  • Erchu12
    Erchu12 Posts: 9
    Options
    For me it's kind of simple. I like my oatmeal thick and with a hint of cinnamon. And it must have a noticeable sweetness.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SherriLynnCase
    Options
    I have always said I make the best oatmeal EVER ;) I use Quaker old fashioned oats (not quick cook) 1/2 cup of dry oats to 1 cup of light vanilla soy-milk! I used to make it with a splenda and 1/4 cups of dried cranberries (added as soon as I start heating up the soy-milk along with fresh nutmeg.) and some sunflower seeds (added last). Since I started counting calories I omit the cranberries and sunflower seeds, but leave the nutmeg (to me that is the key) and splenda. I just tried a recipe from one of the "Hungry Girls" cookbooks! She suggests adding an extra cup of water and cook it for 15 mins, this makes it extra creamy and a larger portion. It was really good. Good luck finding what you like......there are so many ways to make it and it can be fun looking for new recipes!!