For momma's

Options
My baby boy who isn't a baby anymore starts pre-school tomorrow!! I'm so excited, but omygosh i am such a ball of emotions! I wanna be happy, i wanna bawl! Ahhh! How did you handle the first day of pre-school for you baby? *sorry, not really weight or calorie related, just wanted to see what ya'll went through and how you handled it.

Replies

• Startraveller
    Options
    My baby is graduating high school this June. Talk about emotional rollercoaster. It's hard to let go and not be the center of their life anymore (they will have lots of friends and sometimes come home crying because someone made them feel bad). But there are so many rewards and benefits. It's like when they crawled, then walked, then ran! You just move with them. Good luck and enjoy the fun with him!
  • ChristineW82
    ChristineW82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. It gets easier letting them go to school!

The worst part for me was when my oldest daughter started she began sobbing and begging me to stay. :sad:

We have to let them grow their independence though.
  • leann74016
    leann74016 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, i hope my son doesn't cry and want to go home or want us to stay! I want him to be like see ya mom! lol! It will be so hard if he cries :(
  • jansomma
    jansomma Posts: 1
    Options
    Remember its our job as parents to give roots and wings. This is the start of the wings. Good job.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    You know day 1 was a breeze for my daughter. It's a new environment, lots of new things to explore. Day 2 was still ok. Day 3, watch out for Day 3. She didn't want to let go of my husband, lots of crying and holding on. My daughter cried for another week at drop off, and was fine after that. My friend's son took a little over a month before he stopped crying. So it depends on the kid. Good luck.
  • BLR2JLR
    BLR2JLR Posts: 38
    Options
    I am very close with my 2 girls (age 14 soon to be 15 on Sunday and 18) being a single mama and all. if you think preschool is tough wait until they go away to college I cried packing her stuff and when I took her and all the way home. You cry because you love them and because your proud of the people they are becoming . I cried from daycare all the way to college  it will be ok and your son is going to love the new experience.
  • momswanson
    momswanson Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I cried when I left both of my girls at their respective colleges, as did my husband, and then I cried like an idiot when my oldest daughter graduated from college last June! I still miss my girls terribly everyday and wish that they could be home where I could feed them and take care of them, but I gotta say, my husband and I love our new empty nest, less chaos, drama, and fewer schedules to work around. I guess it is a part of getting older!:wink:
  • Jodi827
    Jodi827 Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks for all the words of wisdom. My daughter starts Kindergarten on the 23rd of August and I'm sure I'm going to be a wreck. Kids have many more obstacles than we did when we were younger. It scares me! :sad:
  • RainbowBrite86
    RainbowBrite86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My son starts in a couple months, I know the feeling :(
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My boy didn't cry when we took him to preschool days after he turned 3. I think part of it is that he loves the bus ride. Even if your kiddo does cry, just turn and go, and don't prolong it. The teachers are good about distracting the kids and they usually stop after a few minutes. If you stay there and make it a big ordeal, it'll be harder on the kid (and you, too). It's hard to let go, but it's really neat to see how they grow being around different people. And beware the bad habits they pick up, too!
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My nest will be empty by the end of summer. One will leave for college out of state and the college one who has live at home WILL have a job and be moving. You just need to give them roots and left them find their wing. Not easy but it is what is meant to be.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Preschool is as much a training exercise for us as it is for our babies. Everyone is different, but for us preschool wasn't that bad - my baby wanted to be there, she had loads of fun and looked forward to going. It was only a short class - 2 hours, 3 days a week - so it wasn't a huge amount of separation anxiety for her parents. :)

However, when she started kindergarten I bawled the entire 2 and 1/2 hours she was gone that first day. I had to dry up and cucumber my eyes before I went to pick her up, I didn't want her thinking anything was wrong. I wound up being a parent helper in the kindergarten class 1 day a week - which was a HUGE help for my separation anxiety. (My daughter had absolute zero separation anxiety - she was probably sick of looking at me all day every day hehe)

The first day of school every year I still cry. It doesn't get any better. 3rd grade - omg where does the time go?! I really miss the 2 year old version of my daughter so so so much, but of course I love the 9 year old version! During this stage (and probably every stage I'm guessing) It's almost like getting a whole new kid every year. *sniff*
  • leann74016
    leann74016 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! :) I know this is going to be great for him and learning experience for us both, but just wished it didn't have to come so fast! lol I'm glad i get to go and drop him off the first day of school but the rest of the days my husband will do that b/c i have to be at work by 8am :/ So hopefully it will get easier. I will be home about the time he gets home from school while im on my lunch break so that will be wonderful!!! :)
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I stood with a group of other moms, all of us sniffling and trying not to cry when my oldest went to preschool. She did not want to be there either, it took a month for her to stop screaming and clinging when it was time to leave. When my second daughter went, nothing. She ran right in and and I was happy for the time alone with my son.

But my son is going to his Nana and Papas at the end of the month for a week....I have nver been away from him overnight, and realy not for more then 6 hours (that happened once) I"m having a hard time with him leaving. Hes 2.5, and really, if Ihave an hour away from him (or any of the kids) its shocking.
  • HeatherFP13
    HeatherFP13 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Oh...this thread made me tear up this morning! My kids are 7 and 3. I love them to bits! I can't believe how fast time is going. It seems like no time ago they were just babies. Ahh! I can't imagine them growing up and moving out. Yikes! I do think school is a great step for them though. It gives them a little bit of independence without them being gone for long. It's very important (that...and to leave them with a babysitter once in a while.) I ended up in the hospital for over a week last year, and I was so thankful they had some time without me. It would have been so much harder for everyone if they had never been without me before then. Don't get me wrong, we missed each other like crazy (by day 5 in the hospital I was a big old crying mess after they came to visit me and went home). Anyway...on the first day of school every year, I have a group of friends that gets together. We get our kids to school, and then get together for coffee and gabbing. It helps distract us so we aren't hung up all day on missing our kids. Sometimes it involves a few tears, but then we pull ourselves together. It helps to know that others feel the same way. Good luck!
  • caseyann20032003
    caseyann20032003 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old started in September of this last year....I was so worried about everything! I was worried he would hate it and was sure he would cry and I would have to pick him up because he couldnt handle it....but you know what? He loved it, still loves it and did not shed not one tear...and having him come home and tell me about all he learned that day is amazing! Just ask me I will swear my little man is a genius :) lol!!