How do you like your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• loranch
    loranch Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I like to add 1 tsp brown sugar, couple spoonfuls of greek yogurt and 1/2 cup blackberries or blueberries.
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    It's hot here in Texas and I don't like hot cereal in hot weather. I found you don't even have to cook oatmeal! Measure out 1/2 c. oats, 1 tsp. vanilla and scant 1/2 c. water in a bowl the night before. Depending on what fruit I'm using, I add 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 2 tsp. brown sugar or honey. Next morning, add 1/2 c. fresh fruit and nuts. My favorites: cranberries, apples and almonds. Blueberries and bananas. Apples and pecans of walnuts. Blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. Strawberries and bananas. Apricots. Peaches. It's delicious cold. Yopu can add milk if you want but I usually don't since I have a nonfat decaf latte with it.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Brown Sugar & dried fruit!
  • donnaforbes1
    Options
    I found a recipe for a slow cooker oatmeal. It involves steel cut oats, some spices and apples. Its supposed to make your morning oatmeal taste like apple pie. Now that HAS to be good!!! I am going to test it soon!
  • mharaway
    mharaway Posts: 1
    Options
    Try Quaker Old Fashioned oats right out of the box in a bowl with some skim milk, blueberries, walnuts, banana and a little flax seed. It is really refreshing change of pace from cooked oatmeal. Very much like musli from Europe this way.
    Also, take the same ingredients above and hit it with a hand blender until smooth and you have an amazing tasting smoothie that is easy to take on the way out the door. Awesome.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try some of these! Sounds delicious!
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I prepare it according to the package instructions but, I add some brown sugar, cinnamon powder, & ground nutmeg.
  • BethTaylor93
    BethTaylor93 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I put my steel cut oats in the crock pot at night and wake up to a hot, healthy breakfast.

Crockpot Steel Cut Oatmeal

1 cup steel cut oats
    4 cups water
    ½ cup milk
    2 tablespoons butter
    dried fruit (I used golden raisins, but you can add apples, figs, whatever you like)
    cinnamon to taste

Add all ingredients to crockpot. Stir well. Cook on low overnight
  • BethTaylor93
    BethTaylor93 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Here is another one I tried over the weekend...yummy!

1 cup water
    1/2 cup quick cooking oats
    1 banana, chopped (best if overripe)
    2 tbsp shredded coconut
    Pinch ground cinammon

I bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. In go the oats, chopped banana, coconut, and cinammon. I turn down the heat to medium/low and simmer while stirring frequently for two or three minutes. And that's it! I always top it with a splash of milk and sometimes a sprinkling of brown sugar. Okay, sometimes more than a sprinkling!
  • zenithfern
    Options
    I typically eat my oatmeal heated up with two teaspoons of granola on top for the more natural sugars instead of bumping a bag of white or brown sugar on top. I feel like the granola adds more texture and a little more flavor that just the plain oats.

If I'm feeling a little creative I may add half a banana sliced on top.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My current favorite oatmeal is to take 1/2 cup of quick cooking oats, 1/2 cup of vanilla almond milk, and 1/4 cup of "plum amazins" which are just chopped up dried plums, and stick it in the microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes. So yummy. that would be good with raisins or craisins too, I guess.

I also like it with a tiny bit of butter, chopped up apples, a bit of cinnamon and turbinado sugar.
  • comet_wow
    comet_wow Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Love oatmeal, bumping for later
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    i make both steel cut oats and old fashioned oats, really depends on how much time i have since the steel cut ones take 30 minutes.

for the old fashioned rolled oats:
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    1 cup almond milk
    1 teaspoon raw honey
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

steel cut oats
    1/4 cup steel cut oats
    1 cup almond milk
    1 teaspoon raw honey
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4-1/2 cup water at the end since them become very thick

i also add raisins from time to time
  • iWinn2
    iWinn2 Posts: 6
    Options
    I love quaker homecooked oatmeal. I like mine smooth as opposed to tasting the flakes of oaks. To obtain the smoothness just allow oaks to soak in the water for few minutes prior to turning on the stovetop burner. If you like them oaty then heat the water then stir them in. Super easy to cook. use twice as much water as oats. so for a single bowl just put 1/2 c oats in pot and add 1 c water. I enjoy mine with a bit of brown sugar,raisins, and a little milk (all added after removal from burner). Since joining myfitnesspal I've learned to cut out the butter & raisins (the raisins added over 100cals) I could do without. The oatmeal is 300cals and over 50carbs all by itself. I find it to be one of the best fuels to start my day if I intend to start with exercise. I secretly love oven-buttered toast added to my oatmeal for the joy of tasting the butter lumps. However since fitnesspal I have learned to do without my lil lumps as well. Enjoy!
  • dodie62
    dodie62 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I put 1/2 cup of almond milk, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 c. old fashioned oats (or 2 TBSP steel cut), and 1 c frozen blueberries in a dish and mix. Cover and put in the fridge overnight. In the morning, I pull it out, barely nuke it (just to take off the really cold chill), add a scoop of vanilla protein powder and mix it up. SO GOOD and filling! Sometimes I add a TBSP of crushed raw almonds to it too.
  • Justice96
    Justice96 Posts: 29
    Options
    To save time I use packaged regular oatmeal. Adding with my oats some cinnamon, and fruit like strawberries, blueberries, bananas. Yumm.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe for a slow cooker oatmeal. It involves steel cut oats, some spices and apples. Its supposed to make your morning oatmeal taste like apple pie. Now that HAS to be good!!! I am going to test it soon!

I used a similar (or maybe the same one) recipe and, yes, like having apple pie for breakfast! Yum!
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    bump -- Lots of great ideas here! I never thought of using cocoa powder in my oatmeal!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Blueberries, Flax seed, and agave nectar! Mmmmmmmm.