Protein bar help

Options
Hi Guys

Im looking for a protein bar that is high protein and low carb and doesnt contain lots of rubbish sweetners, do any exist?

Replies

• patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys

Im looking for a protein bar that is high protein and low carb and doesnt contain lots of rubbish sweetners, do any exist?

Can you define 'rubbish' sweetener? If you're looking for low carb and no-sugar AND no artificial sugar, that's an uphill battle. If you're looking for protein with natural sweetener (such as dates) your carb count will go up.
  • foxyhotgal
    foxyhotgal Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    natural sweetner is fine :) i dont want things like malitol really xx
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Thanks for clarifying :) How much protein are you looking for? 5, 10, 30?

Larabars are delicious- made of figs and nuts. They aren't THE most protein packed item- but they are whole and natural. Due to the nuts they aren't for the cal-shy and fat-feared; the cals and fats are good ones though. Have you tried them?
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I reckon the Kashi nut bars are pretty good. also some health food stores make up bars with nuts and seeds, so it's all natural ^_^
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I have been eating Luna bars.
    The nutz over chocolate is my favorite.
  • Startraveller
    Options
    Luna bars are my favourite. High in protein but I'm not certain about the sugar content. I like them because they don't taste like you are eating sawdust.
  • KateB1982
    KateB1982 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Thanks for clarifying :) How much protein are you looking for? 5, 10, 30?

Larabars are delicious- made of figs and nuts. They aren't THE most protein packed item- but they are whole and natural. Due to the nuts they aren't for the cal-shy and fat-feared; the cals and fats are good ones though. Have you tried them?

Lara bars are fantastic. I just bought a box of peanut butter ones - yum!
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Make your own! So easy and you can put all your favorite stuff in!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/make-your-own-primal-energy-bars-in-10-easy-steps/#axzz1oThParD9

These ones are great but make sure you use fine sea salt instead of grinding your own. I also added chia seeds and goji berries to mine. They last a really long time in the fridge!

You can also add some egg and bake them instead.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I've become a fan of Quest Bars.
    Quest bars have the best nutritional profile of any protein bar on the market bar none. 20g of protein, 4g non-fiber carbs, and no harmful sugar alcohols or other junk.

http://www.questproteinbar.com/
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the Luna Bars, but I do know that the Clif Builder Bars are VERY good. They have 20 g of protein, 30 carbs and have no artificial sweeteners or sugar alcohols.
  • firststeps77
    firststeps77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think Quest bars are the best. My favorite is coconut cashew....170 calories, 20 gms. protein, 17 gms. fiber, only 2 active carbs!
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i typically go for larabars or pure protein bars.
  • Kevww1982
    Kevww1982 Posts: 76
    Options
    I think Quest bars are the best. My favorite is coconut cashew....170 calories, 20 gms. protein, 17 gms. fiber, only 2 active carbs!

yeah quest bars are awesome.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    pure protein bars -- and they taste really good. Low fat - High Protein - decent carb
  • jenniferlynn12
    Options
    I love pure protein bars... 20 g protein, sugars are 2-3 but they do have malitol (just looked)-- they do have "stuff" in them but they taste really great, keep me full and give me protein so I can take the "stuff" :)
  • idahoprincess72
    idahoprincess72 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My trainer recommends Balance Bars. There are some pretty good ones available. When I asked about the Luna Bars (because they are SO yummy), he advised against them. He said they are high in soy, which either contain or increase estrogen (I truly can't remember which), and that will cause bloating, emotions, and all that fun stuff.
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I like the luna bars
  • Justice96
    Justice96 Posts: 29
    Options
    Im not so knowledgeable on protien bars but ive heard from Kym Lyons from the Biggest Loser that you want a protien bar that has all natural ingredients like nuts, dried fruit, oats ect. Also your protien bar should contain ingredients that you can pronounce and the list should only have around 6-8 ingredients.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    PhD Diet Whey do some good ones...about 181kCal a bar so lower than most in the calories and bad stuff but good for protein and other nutrients. Taste OK too... very chewy, last a while...longer than a choccie bar, taste fine, texture a bit off but no worse than any other protein bar... Like a hard grainy fudge texture. (I like chocolate cookie flavour)