Les Mills Body Pump

Options
How many calories on average does a person burn doing an hour of Body Pump?

Replies

• aj_gettingfit
    Options
    How many calories on average does a person burn doing an hour of Body Pump?

That really depends on your fitness level, weight, etc. Most people have to wear an HRM to get an accurate read on their heart rate.
  • 52baltimoreravens52
    52baltimoreravens52 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just wasn't sure how to log it in under my exercise tracker.
  • ericakordes
    ericakordes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me - it ranges from 350-500 calories. Based on my HRM.
  • tinattinat
    tinattinat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just wasn't sure how to log it in under my exercise tracker.

In the cardiovascular section in the database, there is a "strength training". I use that for my Group Power which is the same as Body Pump.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    WOO HOO! Another RAVENS FAN! 8)!

I take a Body Attack class and usually burn between 500- 550 calories per my HRM-stats entered 42 yr old female.

In the Baltimroe area?
  • HJSilva
    HJSilva Posts: 29
    Options
    I log it as strength training and get about 150....but I'm only 5'1".
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i was told to log it as curcuits!
  • leezer85
    leezer85 Posts: 3
    Options
    bump!
  • catic
    catic Posts: 156
    Options
    You can burn anywhere between 300 to 900 calories depending on what you put into in. I log it under cardio.
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Not nearly as much as body attack or combat, but I'm guessing around 300 ish for an hour? I feel like that's a humble underestimation.
  • helenrachel123
    helenrachel123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    On the les mills side it says you can burn anywehre from 350 to 500+ calories doing the class, I have aired on the side of caution and as a 5ft 4in female usually log it as 300 calories but no that this is probably not accurate.

Has anyone else also noticed that by doing body pump 2 to 3 times a week they are actually starting to weigh more? I managed to lose 3 pounds at the start of joining MFP about a month or so ago and then then more exercise in general/body pump I have done have put the 3lb back on plus a bit more yet my clothes still fit???
  • catic
    catic Posts: 156
    Options
    muscle :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I'd log it half half as strength & circuit. Can burn differs depending on weight.
  • hhgrif0107
    hhgrif0107 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Invest in a good heart rate monitor that shows calorie burn. Well worth the investment. Then log it under cardio yyou can create your own workouts there.
  • LimaSprout
    Options
    I agree with chrisdavey. I think logging half as circut, half as strength is a good balance.
  • maeleemae
    Options
    I'm a Les Mills Certified Bodypump Instructor. Anywhere from 350 to 600 calories. It's all relative to how much weight you use, true effort and enthusiasm given, and if you do the exercises with the proper technique. I've seen in my classes some members (always the same few) who cheat when it gets hard, i.e., not squatting or lunging fully, laying on their mat when a plank gets difficult, etc. I'm 57 years old, and teaching Bodypump has totally defined and ripped my body. :heart: Bodypump!!!
  • Adventure9
    Adventure9 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree with the folks recommending HR monitors.

Based on threads on this MFP Community forum, I got out my old heart rate monitor and started learning how to use it again. It's been awesome to assess different forms of exercise and their calories burned. It makes it much easier and based on what everyone says, more accurate. By using HR monitors, I've been able to figure out more personably more enjoyable ways to burn calories.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Fun, Very Intense
  • Lynnreeves
    Options
    Glad to find this page I was wondering how to input the calories also.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    The information in this thread is actually a bit outdated since MFP does have BodyPump listed in the exercise database. Make sure you're searching BodyPump or any of the Les Mills classes as one word, not two. "BodyPump" not "body pump". I still use my HRM for all exercises but there's no need to call the class "circuit training" or anything too generic, anymore. Unless you really want to :smile: