Scentsy... How to find customers?

Options
ranae32
ranae32 Posts: 59 Member
I started selling Scentsy last month ( scent warmers) and this is the first time i have ever owned my own buisness. I am just wondering how to get my name out there and where and how to find customers. im not the pushy type so i am thinking this may be difficult for me? Any thought or advice?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Give out free samples? That will set up reciprocity at least.
    Make sure you read some books on sales, too.

And whatever you do - do not put flyers on cars.
  • ranae32
    Options
    The only thing with samples is you cant really use them unless you have a warmer...

Ha ha i HATE when people put flyers on my car!!!
  • maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love the stuff, but you've got some stiff competition out there with Bed, Bath and Beyond selling the same thing at half and sometimes a third the cost.

You might start out by having a gathering or two where people can smell the goodness. Mmmmm. Have them bring a friend and leave a registry on the coffee table or something where folks can jot a name and number down if they'd like to have a party.
  • Pams_Shadow
    Pams_Shadow Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You might see if your local beauty salons, nail shops and tanning salons would let you leave your catalog/card on their counters. Might try your local trendy shops too.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Are you from around Idaho by chance?

I'm asking because that's where Scensty started, basically in my neighborhood, and we have *TONS* of people doing that stuff.

From my personal experience you have to network. Around here the popular thing to do is hosting. If you have other girl friends, especially social butterflies, use them to your advantage. Get a girls party thrown together... even if it's not solely for your business and just bring your stuff along. It can make for good entertainment and a good way to get your name out.

Also make yourself very accessible. Customer service is really important and if someone decides to buy products from you specifically you'll want to make it easy to do so.

I also have an aunt that makes her own lotions and other scents and she sells it at street markets or events. You can contact the coordinators for events and ask for a spot with a booth. I'm not sure on all the details but it's a great way to get out and meet your community.

Scensty stuff is awesome! Hope you enjoy it.
  • ranae32
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the ideas! i definetly do have some competition... And no im from Oregon but i bet Scentsy is huge in Idaho because thats were it began. I have been looking for saturday markets or places to have a booth but i dont know where to start...
  • ranae32
    Options
    Anymore ideas for me?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I know you are mostly looking for ideas, but you aren't supposed to advertise on here. It is against the site rules.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You could have little parties with friends of friends and acquaintances like they do with mary kay or tupperware and stuff.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    donate to silent auctions, benefits things like that, this stuff is like crack. me and my wife avoided it for years, now we change our scents out every Sunday when we clean. our kids love that they get to pick them out.
  • twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It's getting that time of your that craft shows are going to be starting...so you could pay for a booth to get your name out...I had a Scentsy lady one time give me her business card and she had small heart samples in little bags stapled to it...good luck! I have my own candle business and facebook and craft shows is where I get all my business
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with Mary Kay
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I know you are mostly looking for ideas, but you aren't supposed to advertise on here. It is against the site rules.

it's ok. www.wicklessrusk@scentsy.us is not a valid web address :ohwell:
  • nmj1988
    nmj1988 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    MMMM i love my scentsy!!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's always the finding the customers whatever you're doing. Helps to get the word out to people that know but they have to know... one neighbour tried to help me out but was telling people that I could fix their tv's (vacuum tube stuff) when I do computer hardware / software tech support / upgrades etc. One line anyway. Eggs, worms, rabbit (garden gold) etc are some of the other product lines I've covered before and will again. Just need more than just word of mouth.
    Shows would indeed be a good line if you can get a booth (check with the company, some of them don't "let" you do tradeshows for their products. I know there are 3 shows coming up in the next month I'm planning to attend and 2 or 3 have already passed me by for this year.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

it's ok. www.wicklessrusk@scentsy.us is not a valid web address :ohwell:

Oh, good. Carry on, then.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Have an open house and invite other direct sales people to participate. This is really best done near Christmas. You can offer to do fundraisers for charities (if scentsy does this). Or just host a party at your home or the home of a close friend or relative to announce your decision. Again, all this only works if scentsy does parties. I am more familiar with companies like Pamper Chef.

Your upsell should have some ideas.
  • afordham
    afordham Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm a thirty-one consultant and I have left my business cards and fliers on business bulliten boards, doctors offices, salons, banks etc. Another good one I have seen is leave your catalog in public bathrooms on the counters. Host an open house or online party. The ideas are endless use your imagination :)
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of the product (being from UK) but books like 'Dee Blick - Marketing on a Shoestring Budget' might help.

Facebook is great for low cost ads and you can target these to your locality or people who have certain interests. If you do a Twitter search you could look for people who are on the hunt for (whatever your competition is - candles etc) and see if you could try and convert them?

Can you only sell through catalogue sales? If you could make your own local website are there any perks you could give (free local delivery etc) that they couldn't get elsewhere?

Also the thing people said about samples might be good - again not sure on the product but could you leave one free at offices for them to use with some business cards for their employees?

Maybe look into scented business cards?

Theres a million things you can do really just need to work out which will give the best return for your money x
  • ranae32
    Options
    I ment (.scentsy.us) not @ but i just found out im not suppose to write anything to promote my business in any way so i am having to put a end to this. thanks anyways though.