Heart rate monitors - wrist size?

Options
Odd question. I'm far enough along in my fitness journey that I think I'd benefit from a heart rate monitor. Hearing everyone here rave about Polar HRM, that's what I'm going for (probably an FT7, it fits fairly well into my budget).

I'll probably be ordering online as they're cheaper, and I live in kind of a small town where it's hard to get much variety. My problem is that I have really tiny wrists. 5.5" around. Will the bands go that small? I'd hate to get it only to find it's too big!

Replies

• bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Odd question. I'm far enough along in my fitness journey that I think I'd benefit from a heart rate monitor. Hearing everyone here rave about Polar HRM, that's what I'm going for (probably an FT7, it fits fairly well into my budget).

I'll probably be ordering online as they're cheaper, and I live in kind of a small town where it's hard to get much variety. My problem is that I have really tiny wrists. 5.5" around. Will the bands go that small? I'd hate to get it only to find it's too big!

They have lots of adjusting holes on it so I think your good!
  • KaraGrr
    KaraGrr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the FT7 but i had the FT4 and there are a TON of holes on the wristband...like all the way around the thing. I'm pretty sure it would fit an infant.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Yes it will go that small, the notches go almost the entire length of the band, you're good. :-) (I have the FT4 and my DH has the FT7 and they are both that way, VERY adjustable)
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    Thank you all! I can't wait for my tax return to come!
  • joannaengel
    Options
    I have the same problem with my Garmin being too big for my wrist, I bought some wrist sweatbands and wear one underneath, works like a charm!
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Haha.....I have small wrists too....and ankles.......(my hips make up for it).........my chest strap was looser today! NSV yes.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Haha.....I have small wrists too....and ankles.......(my hips make up for it).........my chest strap was looser today! NSV yes.

Speaking of the chest strap, yeah I'm about to have to order the Small size replacement b/c I always adjust it as small as it will go and it's not staying put anymore. Woo-hoo! :-)
  • georgia98_98
    georgia98_98 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT-7 & I was afaird of it not being big enough,, I have large bones, so w/ saying that... Mine fites.. I have main on lose (where it spins around) & still have four holes left & for the small part my son that is 6 yr. likes to wear it & yes it fits... It has 25 or 28 holes altogether... heart rate usa is the cheapest I found @ around $76.00... My chest band goes from a med. to xxl.. came with that one & is pently of room... I am 235... I just went w/ my chest size for bras, lol:laugh:
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm in Canada, so heart rate usa is out, but thanks for the suggestion. :) Will probably go with the FT4 actually, since I just read that the big difference is data transfer, and since I log here anyway, I don't really need that.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    I'm in Canada, so heart rate usa is out, but thanks for the suggestion. :) Will probably go with the FT4 actually, since I just read that the big difference is data transfer, and since I log here anyway, I don't really need that.

If you're just looking for general heartrate and calories, FT4 will do the trick.