Looking for advice! and supportive friends!

Options
Gknee11
Gknee11 Posts: 15 Member
Hi everyone... I could use some motivating friends!
For those of you who have been around awhile and/or are having success losing weight, I have a few questions...

I'm 210lbs and 5', goal calories 1200, high protein, low carb... thoughts? Carbs have always caused me to gain and are my go to comfort/emotional eater food. I'm eating fruits and a protein bar a day, but no starched/breads/rice.My goal is a fit/strong 150. I l
Diet pop? Do or don't?

I'm sick of salads with balsamic vinegar... good dressing suggestions? Preferrably low/no sugars/low carb/low Cal?

Anyone eat Paleo/Primal? Thoughts?

Thanks!!!!!

Replies

• BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Salad dressing, I like to squeeze lime juice, a teaspoon of ground parmesan cheese.
    Not for everyone, but I like it.
  • rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    Options
    First of all...welcome to the journey!

Regarding the diet pop - don't. Water is your best bet....always.

Regarding the salad dressings...that I am not sure....if I encounter any information on that I will let you know.

Feel free to friend me if you wish.

I'm not doing a low carb thing.....just basically watching what I eat...if I do eat carbs...then it is early in the day...towards the afternoon and especially evening I try to limit my carb intake.

Again...good luck with your efforts....you will find plenty of inspiration and support on this site. :smile:
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    Hi There! Re: diet soda-just don't do it! Re: dressings-I always make my own. Usually some mustard, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and a packet of raw stevia or just lemon juice a little salt and a packet of stevia. You can make a million different combos. I have even made a strawberry vinagrette with fresh strawberries. Re: paleo, primal diet-not sure of all the nuances of those diets but I am a clean eater: veggies, dark leafy greens, little fruit, organic, small amounts of fish, the occasional piece of ezekiel bread. I love it. the easiest "diet" to stick to in my opinion. Feel free to friend me :)
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Welcome! I'm doing the 17 DD (basically, fruits before 2 pm, certain veggies in abundance, and lots of protein). You're free to friend me and check out my diary. :)

I don't do diet pop, although now and then I will indulge. For the most part, I drink water, tea, coffee, and sometimes juice...

For dressing, I've grown fond of a little sunflower oil, some red wine vinegar, and a squeeze of lemon and/or lime. It's so good!
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone... I could use some motivating friends!
    For those of you who have been around awhile and/or are having success losing weight, I have a few questions...

I'm 210lbs and 5', goal calories 1200, high protein, low carb... thoughts? Carbs have always caused me to gain and are my go to comfort/emotional eater food. I'm eating fruits and a protein bar a day, but no starched/breads/rice.My goal is a fit/strong 150. I l
    Diet pop? Do or don't?

I'm sick of salads with balsamic vinegar... good dressing suggestions? Preferrably low/no sugars/low carb/low Cal?

Anyone eat Paleo/Primal? Thoughts?

Thanks!!!!!

We have similar stats. I started at 205lbs, and am also 5"1 (I think - im Australian and we use different measurements lol).

Diet soda - nope. Not worth it for your teeth and body let alone your weight loss. Ditch the protein bar - this is likely higher in calories and fat than a museli bar. Dont be scared of carbs - I have bread for breakfast and most days a potato for dinner. Understand the difference in carbs and keep it in moderation. Leave the salad! There are so many other tasty, low calorie options out there! Im not primal or anything, but I do eat clean mosty. Nothing processed if I can help it. Exercise!!! Its hard at first, but it becomes addictive! Eat your fruit and veggies - not negotiable. Ive successfully lost 60lbs in around 10 months - this is doable if you have the commitment, drive and motivation. Good luck!!
  • gurganuss
    gurganuss Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms has zero calorie dressings in a lot of flavors. There are a lot of lowfat foods you can enjoy!!!
  • stowens75
    stowens75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    good luck on your journey. I am currently on the same path that you are starting Oct 1 -216 Mar 1 -177 it can be done even during the hardest part of the year to do it in The holidays!! just keep it clean and don't be afraid to try different things. you can do whatever you put your mind to.
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    I eat any salad dressing I want. Instead of putting it on my salad though, I order it on the side and dip my fork in before I spear the veggies. Instead of 2 or 3 tablespoons, I usually eat about a teaspoon (25-35 calories). You'd be surprised how littel it takes to get the full flavor.
  • 228lrt
    228lrt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I like the Paleo Diet, lean meats and fruits and vegitables. It has worked for me. I essentially stay away from all dairy, grains, and starchy foods and have had good results.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I have been here since June and lost ...well my ticker says 42 but I will grudgingly admit that it was probably 52 .... I just didn't know my true start weight but a doctor did once tell me 214.

anyway.

I have an occasional diet soda (carbonation isn't good for you) as well as pizza, fast food, restaurant food, lots of fat both 'good' and 'bad', etc. Not in huge quantities but none of that stuff prevents you from losing weight. The only thing that prevents you from losing weight is eating more calories than you burn in a day. I also have never eaten as low as 1200 calories.

But if you want to be healthier than me, good for you! The only thing I will tell you is to eat at least half of your exercise calories. MFP adds them so you will eat them. You did not gain or maintain your current weight by eating 1600 calories so eat them.
  • jojoffmedic
    jojoffmedic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am new here, was told to go here by a friend, seems like a really easy site to use. I have a long way to go, i would like to lose over a 100 pounds. It has been an uphill battle. I am the perfect yo-yo. We are thinking about maybe starting a family but i do not want to be a pregnant whale, its unhealthy for the baby and me. So we will see! i have a goal so now just sticking to it will be the issue. I plan to use this site regularly. Take care all and i look forward to taking this journey with you.
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Water! Live by it. Soda is fine as a treat occasionally, but anything overly processed is not great for your body.

I hate balsamic vinegar personally. Some dressings I enjoy are sesame/soy/ginger/rice wine vinegar, dijon/white wine vinegar/lemon juice/olive oil, strawberries/champagne/olive oil/champagne vinegar. So easy to make yourself!

Good luck! Add me if you need some support... I'm 5' too :)
  • RachChizo
    RachChizo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I love this app and it has been my best pal in health ever. I love the flexiblity - ate too much? Then burn if off! I could never be bothered counting calories and most of the time I didn't know if what I was choosing was healthy or not? MFP makes it easy.
    I have used this app on and off for over a year now and when I stick to completing my diary, I am able to shed the unwanted kilo's at a healthy rate without too much pain.
    Feel free to friend me - It's really motivating to have people encouraging you.
    Healthy dressing - my favourate is a little bit of honey, mustard and balsamic vinegar.
    I don't eat all the right things, but I know when I indulge - I need to make time for serious exercise. I am happy if I am under the calories for the week so I can burn extra calories some days and still feel okay about indulging especially at social events.

I have reached my goal weight and my challenge now is to maintain it. Initially, my goal is to keep on this healthy cycle for a year.

Rach
  • meghanmarsh
    Options
    Welcome to MFP; I am pretty new myself. Also doing 1200 calories and hoping to lose 50-60 pounds; I am 5'3. What I have found is that you can have most anything you want as long as you account for it. Working out 5-6 days a week really helps me to gain exercise calories and allow me some of the foods that I love to eat.
    1. Forget the pop--even diet is bad for you in a lot of ways. Try mixing water with some low calorie gatorade, that works well for me.
    2. I too have dressing on the side and you WILL be surprised at how little it takes.
    3. I don't know anything about either of those diets.
    I don't eat any meat but I do eat fish. I am trying to be mindful about eating more whole, unprocessed foods. I admit that it has been slow going though; however, I am not giving up on it. Feel free to friend me also if you would like.
  • Bestermom
    Options
    02/13/12 weighed 353 today 331 I have lost 22 lbs since 02/13/12 and am going to see a dietary counselor. She advised not to drink any liquid calories soups, pop, juice, ice cream etc or Diet sodas and to drink at least 64 ounces of water a day. Also, I found if you drink your water 30-60 minutes before you eat a meal you are less likely to eat as much. I also do not eat for 30-60 minutes till after my meal so I stay fuller longer this helps prevent snacking. I am a diet pepsi-aholic so she told me as long as I only drink 1 a day for now its okay. I have been eating any of the fat free salad dressings do not really care for the Ranch but if you make a nice big salad and add a piece of baked chicken breast the bad taste goes away the french fat free or Italian fat free I think are the best. If you hit your calorie goals and exercise each day you will lose it. I really like the Special K cereals for breakfast each day and Special K makes the 90 calorie bars that have helped me with the chocolate cravings. Have not had any candy since. I also was a chip person and Special K makes the cracker chips they are really good and low in calorie. I use Thomas multigrain muffins as a substitute for bread. My Doctor and counselor have advised to stay away from anything that is white pasta, bread, rice etc. I also do not do the protein bars I make sure I have a piece of baked chicken, fish, beef etc each day to take the place of the protein bars this stops me from snacking as well so you will not use your calories up so fast each day. Hope this helps.