FLAXSEED OIL

Options
Hello all my Fitness Pals!
Just have a question concerning Flax seed oil. I have been taking 2 tablespoons a day, but that is 220 calories !! Just to drink some oil that is not filling at all. I guess my question is has anyone else been taking this? Is it worth the calories? ...... FYI I started takeing the oil becasue I heard it is very good for you and will help if you have dry skin .

Thanks !

Replies

• TalosValheru
    Options
    Dry skin? I hadn't heard that before. I did a quick search on Flax and found this:

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flax#Flax_seed

It did not say much of anything about helping Dry Skin. Other searching found things like "When smoothed on your skin, flax oil can help lock in moisture and prevent water loss through the skin. Applying it can also improve your skin’s dry dull appearance and even improve the appearance of fine lines, both of which certainly make you appear younger."

Other aspects I foubnd showed that the fat in Flaxseeds can help your body store the right kind of fats and increase it's metabolic burn rates. (I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on television, I just know how to use a search engine like everyone else. :)

Flaxseed oil is a very beneficial thing when taken with enough water. Not enough water can cause bowel blockages which aren't any good for anyone.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Why not take the Flax Seed Soft Gel Caps?

I take them per Doctor's order for my heart. My mother has heart disease and we are doing everything we can to make sure my heart is on a better path than her's. My Doctor recommend's Flax Seed to everyone. It's a good thing! Try the capsule, they aren't very expensive and only 10 calories each.
  • Emery313
    Emery313 Posts: 33
    Options
    talosvalheru, thanks for the information however, I know how to use a search engine, I dont live under a rock haha (thats how I discovered it in the first place) I am more interested in peoples experiences with taking it. I do appreciate the information you found though.

Seminolegirl9 -Thank you for replying with information on your own experiences. I have the same issue, my dads parents both have heart disease and I want to make sure I do everything I can to keep a healthy heart. I was going to take the pill, but I read that drinking the oil is a much better way to get benifits from it becaused it has not been processed. They also said that the oil needs to stay cold and be protected by the sunlight. IDK though, thats why I was just curious if it really does matter. Thank you for all of your help though!
  • michael300891
    Options
    Just remmeber that, if its 10 calories, it cant really have any flaxseed oil in: In fact, probably less than a gram (9kcal/g of fat)(It probably has a lot of other stuff aimed at keeping your heart healthy). You need fat in your diet and flaxseed is one of the best sources. How much you need depends on what your getting from other sources - You dont have to supplement if your already getting all the essential fatty acids you need. =)
  • o4joyed
    o4joyed Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    About a week ago I started taking oil but will most likely stop when this bottle of oil is gone. I too am taking liquid oil and it's in a brown bottle that has to be refrigerated. I'm on a weight loss program that said they wanted us to begin taking the oils and not count the calories. I can't get past the fact that I'm ingesting that amount of calories and don't get to eat them!! Not only that, but it's expensive! A $30 bottle will last me 11 days. I figure I can eat avocados and nuts and use olive oil. Once upon a time people ate their nutrients, they didn't buy them and drink them.....that's my thinking anyway.
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    flaxseed and hemp oil are extremely beneficial but they do carry a lot of calories. They do help with dry skin whether you are applying it topically or taking internally. I would maybe try eating salmon and avocados for the good oils. That way you are getting food to go with those calories and not just drinking oil. If you are having issues with dry skin the fish and avos will help as will drinking plenty of water and if you have a juicer I suggest juicing in the morning. Particularly green juices. I have seen tremendous benefits from this.