Elliptical

Options
Has anyone else used an elliptical as their main source of exercise? And have you gotten any results?

:smile:

Replies

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I use it ALL the time. It's my favorite cardio. My sister got AMAZING results on it cuz that is all she uses. I get bored so I jump around a lot when it comes to cardio machines.
  • weaverc
    weaverc Posts: 158
    Options
    I love the elliptical. I am a cardio junky. You can definately burn a lot of calories that way.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else used an elliptical as their main source of exercise? And have you gotten any results?

:smile:

I use the elliptical,stair stepper, and treadmill for my cardio- atleast 45 minutes a day- plus 45-60
    min of weight training
  • denitchy
    denitchy Posts: 445
    Options
    I find you burn a lot of calories with it, but you need to build muscle also. I was told by a trainer that while burning calories is necessary so is weight training. I found that I hit a plateau, but when I added the weights into the mix, I started losing again.
  • Luludog1
    Luludog1 Posts: 119
    Options
    I use the eliptical and have lost 45lbs using it as my sole cardio
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    30 minutes every morning,,, I eat most the "exercise calories" I earn on it,,, otherwise I'd be miserable.

Does it work? I guess so,,, 55 pounds in 7 months. :smile:
  • MRSWESSON
    MRSWESSON Posts: 107
    Options
    I was using the stair master burning about 300 calories in half an hour, but i now use JUST the elliptical...I LOVE IT!!! I've not only lost just as much on it (actually it says 500 calories in 30 minutes) but I've also seen much more tone and definition in my legs and notice my mid sections sweats a lot more with it.

I never get bored on it because i can change the incline and resistance on it to go harder or higher or fluctuate i LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! :heart: :love: :heart::love::heart:
  • angievan26
    angievan26 Posts: 212
    Options
    I have just started using it and I love it. I also walk and do a stationary bike for cardio and I also do weight training. I feel like I get a great workout from it.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    i normally jog but i do the elliptical about once a week. I used my heart rate monitor this morning to see how many calories i burn on it and it was more than i thought. I was on for about 47 minutes and burned 430 calories. I had it on the setting of 6 about 75% of the time and would jump to 8 for the rest
  • goldk
    goldk Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I love the Elliptical! I recently joined the Y and tried it a couple of weeks ago. I thought I was going to die after 10 minutes. Then I realized that the incline was a little too steep for a beginner. Now 2 weeks later I can go for 65 minutes with a pretty steep incline (some good music on the iPOD and Headline News on the TV).:laugh: Make sure you enter your weight and age :smile: I can burn 700 calories in 65 minutes. The biggest bang for an hour cardio workout (at least I think so... I'm not a runner).
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap one, though not price wise........mine doesn't have the ability to change the incline, but I can turn a knob to change the tension. I use mine 6 days a week, 45 minutes to an hour in the morning, 10 minutes or more at night. I walk 45 minutes, 5 days a week at lunch. I'm only up to steady 2.5 miles an hour on the elliptical with bursts of 2.8. Burns 100 calories per 10 minutes.
  • Candothis
    Candothis Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been using the elliptical for about 3 months now and it is all I do. The program I use is interval training on level 12 - 14. My HR ranges from 150's-160's and (according to the maching) I burn anywhere from 900-1000 calories in 45 minutes. So far I've lost 20 lbs.
  • patty09
    patty09 Posts: 105
    Options
    waaauwh

Is an elliptical trainer the same as a cross trainer. I bought a simple one recently. I am a beginner and do knob 3 for 45 min 250 cal. That sounds not that good even though I was proud on myself. here i read 600-1000 cal. That means I must speed it up!!!
    I will do my best tonight!
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    HATED the elliptical. I couldn't stand that your feet had to move in a specific position. However, it's much easier on my knees. Now I try to do at least 20 minutes a day. Have diet issues keeping me from losing more weight, but I can definitely tell how much a difference it has made in my life. I can beat my 7 year old son in a foot race! I don't get winded going up stairs anymore! Who cares what I look like - that is a significant and fantastic change.
  • mouser79
    mouser79 Posts: 68
    Options
    I do at least 30 minutes everytime I go to the gym, just started on MFP on Saturday but I fewel i get a good workout
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    waaauwh

Is an elliptical trainer the same as a cross trainer. I bought a simple one recently. I am a beginner and do knob 3 for 45 min 250 cal. That sounds not that good even though I was proud on myself. here i read 600-1000 cal. That means I must speed it up!!!
    I will do my best tonight!

I personally don't know how they are burning that much in that short of time, I'm thinking maybe height and weight are programed in............I could be wrong. It takes me an hour to burn 600 calories and it has taken me a few months to be able to get there. If your a beginner then don't push yourself too hard, take time to build up your stamina.
  • MrsMoore143
    Options
    [quote

I personally don't know how they are burning that much in that short of time, I'm thinking maybe height and weight are programed in............I could be wrong. It takes me an hour to burn 600 calories and it has taken me a few months to be able to get there. If your a beginner then don't push yourself too hard, take time to build up your stamina.
    [/quote]

I just dont eat my exercise cals so i know im not eating too much of them...:smile: on here it say i burn 313 cals in 20 min...