How to chose the best whey powder????

Options
Good Day,

I have been looking into some protein powder idea's as I feel the "post work-out" timeline to get some protein in you isnt working for me....Its much easier to have a shake ready when your done working out then running home and making a fast dinner in this "time frame" ... I am looking for a low calorie good tasteing one?? anyone help please :)

Replies

• Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I recently started using Bluebonnet Whey protein. It is one of the purest whey protein powders I could find. Derived from grass fed cows, not treated with hormones or antibiotics, no artificial sweeteners or flavors and no added sugar.

It mixes up well. I usually just shake it up with water for my post workout recovery and it is pretty good.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    There are so many it ain't funny!. But a hint, whey protein Isolates as opposed to whey concentrate is a purer form of whey that has been microfiltered and tends to have less calories and fat per serving. You can also get soy protein which is good as well. Alot of proteins will have a mixture of both isolates and concentrate. I personally use Optimum Nutrition gold standard. It tastes good and doesn't have too much fat or carbs.

On a side note, Don't worry too much about how quickly you get protein after a workout. Modern studies indicate that the post workout protein synthesis "window of opportunity" is much longer than an hour, closer to 24 hours! Some studies even indicate that ingestiong protein immediately post workout isn't optimal, suggesting that waiting an hour will give you a better absorption. The protein "window" myth is unfortunately still found in some circles.Below, I copied a excerpt from a website that lists the studies. Hope this helps.

.......Tipton and colleagues (2003) examined responsiveness of protein synthesis for a day after a workout, and found it to reflect a 24 hour enhanced level. That’s right folks, a FULL DAY! This means that having a morning shake will have the same impact on muscle protein synthesis as one consumed following the workout!

These results shouldn’t be too surprising because we’ve known for over a decade that postworkout protein synthesis is jacked up for this long (MacDougall et al., 1995), but if you’re discovering this for the first time, then it’s pretty exciting!

Some research suggests that even 48 hours after the workout our protein synthesis levels can be elevated by ~33% (Phillips et al., 1997), giving us an even longer period during which we can maximize our muscle growth with protein drinks.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i use whey iso burst.. i love it, lots of flavours as well
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein - 100% Whey Protein. I get it from bodybuilding.com. Love it! I read the better powder mixes with water easy and doesn't clump. It has 120 calories and for 1 scoop. I mix with 8 oz water and some ice. Good luck!
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've been using Dymatize Elite. You can get it at bodybuilding.com or GNC. Mixes really easily with water, doesn't clump and tastes fantastic, particularly like the Gourmet Vanilla flavor.
  • punchieprincess
    Options
    Consumer Reports did an interesting study and reported on it about your topic. They had some interesting things to say about a popular shake. It is worth googling.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Good Day,

I have been looking into some protein powder idea's as I feel the "post work-out" timeline to get some protein in you isnt working for me....Its much easier to have a shake ready when your done working out then running home and making a fast dinner in this "time frame" ... I am looking for a low calorie good tasteing one?? anyone help please :)

Look for something on the label that says, Cross-Flow Microfiltered.

- Gaspari Nutrition's Myofusion
    - Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard
    - MusclePharm's Combat Powder
    - Truetein
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    . You can also get soy protein which is good as well. .

avoid soy in anythiing if you can. soy is garbage filler.
  • michael300891
    Options

Out of curiousity, whats wrong with soy? :S
  • WorkoutMaine
    Options
    Google top whey proteins of 2012 and they list the top 5 and why.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm fairly new to using protein shakes and so far have been using the meijer brand (a store brand) whey. No complains, stats look pretty ismilar to the more expnsive ones and it tastes pretty good
  • DBBA21
    DBBA21 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Buy the cheap one. Theyre all just protein anyway.
  • ravihira1892
    Options
    I personally use MyProtein impact whey powder unflavoured, low calories & great supplement for a protein boost!

If you want 5% discount off www.myprotein.com then use code: MP129269.

Great savings guys :).
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein - 100% Whey Protein. I get it from bodybuilding.com. Love it! I read the better powder mixes with water easy and doesn't clump. It has 120 calories and for 1 scoop. I mix with 8 oz water and some ice. Good luck!

This......But it depends on where you live..

LINK
    > http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/protein.htm

I like GS because its low in Carbs and Cals leaving me more room for food. I used an allmax whey and it was about 20cals higer per scoop and carbs were about 4G higher also
  • almonds1
    Options

Out of curiousity, whats wrong with soy? :S

I will just add an article

Protein powders have become a staple in the diets of bodybuilders, fitness competitors and athletes. While there are many variations on this popular dietary supplement, one is gaining considerable attention. Soy protein is often chosen by vegetarians or those who simply prefer a more natural protein when compared to its counterparts, whey and egg protein. Soy protein is derived from the soybean plant and is available in two forms: concentrate and isolate. Both aid in lowering cholesterol and the chances of developing coronary disease, but soy protein isolate comes with its share of drawbacks.

Digestion

According to the American Dietetic Association, soy protein isolate contains antinutrients that can actually delay your body's ability to digest food and absorb nutrients into the blood stream.

Hormonal Imbalances

All soy products, and therefore all soy byproducts, contain phytoestrogens. Phytoestrogens are plant derived compounds that have the ability to mimic the effects of estrogen in the body. They can have a negative effect on the hormonal balances of men, women and children, including the enlargement or depression of the thyroid gland, which could lead to rapid weight gain or loss.

Toxins & Contamination

The method by which soy protein isolate is processed and manufactured involves acid washing it in aluminum tanks. As a result, large amounts of aluminum are placed into the finished product. In addition, nitrites and chemical flavorings are used to add flavor. These chemicals have been linked to the development of certain cancers, allergies and even Alzheimer's disease.

Reproductive Concerns

Soy increases estrogen activity in the body. Men that consume large amounts of soy protein isolate on a daily basis may experience a reduction in sperm count or a lower libido. It is important to note that this only refers to the consumption of large amounts of processed soy isolate proteins, not natural soy protein foods such as edamame, soy beans or unprocessed soy products.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    This is always a good topic to get people amped up but new studies are pretty much saying that the "Post workout window" is a bunch of bunk. Not really a need for "fast digesting protein". Google it for yourself though as I am not qualified to tell you one way or the other..

Body Fortress has a whey protein isolate that has 30g of protein for 130 calories and it is cheap. I try to get as much from my food as I can but as most of you know it is very hard, especially if you are trying to watch calories.
  • billthekill
    Options
    There are so many it ain't funny!. But a hint, whey protein Isolates as opposed to whey concentrate is a purer form of whey that has been microfiltered and tends to have less calories and fat per serving. You can also get soy protein which is good as well. Alot of proteins will have a mixture of both isolates and concentrate. I personally use Optimum Nutrition gold standard. It tastes good and doesn't have too much fat or carbs.

On a side note, Don't worry too much about how quickly you get protein after a workout. Modern studies indicate that the post workout protein synthesis "window of opportunity" is much longer than an hour, closer to 24 hours! Some studies even indicate that ingestiong protein immediately post workout isn't optimal, suggesting that waiting an hour will give you a better absorption. The protein "window" myth is unfortunately still found in some circles.Below, I copied a excerpt from a website that lists the studies. Hope this helps.

.......Tipton and colleagues (2003) examined responsiveness of protein synthesis for a day after a workout, and found it to reflect a 24 hour enhanced level. That’s right folks, a FULL DAY! This means that having a morning shake will have the same impact on muscle protein synthesis as one consumed following the workout!

These results shouldn’t be too surprising because we’ve known for over a decade that postworkout protein synthesis is jacked up for this long (MacDougall et al., 1995), but if you’re discovering this for the first time, then it’s pretty exciting!

Some research suggests that even 48 hours after the workout our protein synthesis levels can be elevated by ~33% (Phillips et al., 1997), giving us an even longer period during which we can maximize our muscle growth with protein drinks.
    ^^^
    This pretty much sums it up.

PWO meal isn't nearly as important as it was thought to be.
    The important thing is that you get all your Macros including protein for the day in the 24 hour period. I try to get 1gram of protein per pound of lean body weight.

I try to avoid protein powder all together now. I only take them so I can meet my protein requirement when I'm a little short for the day. Real food has much more satiety than a protein shake.

I do take BCAA drink while working out. there are a couple of studies that show a increase in testosterone when taking BCAA (Specifically L-Lucine).
  • almonds1
    Options
    This is always a good topic to get people amped up but new studies are pretty much saying that the "Post workout window" is a bunch of bunk. Not really a need for "fast digesting protein". Google it for yourself though as I am not qualified to tell you one way or the other..

Body Fortress has a whey protein isolate that has 30g of protein for 130 calories and it is cheap. I try to get as much from my food as I can but as most of you know it is nearly impossible, especially if you are trying to watch calories.

exactly... Animal protein works best!!! Its still your best intake of protein hands down
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Consumer Reports did an interesting study and reported on it about your topic. They had some interesting things to say about a popular shake. It is worth googling.

Shame they didn't go onto every type of food which will contain the same... whey is simply cows milk, well the whey part of it, the casein part is used elsewhere. Milk that lots of people drink. How else doe you think it contains it? A great way to sell a none news story.