Coconut Oil vs Virgin Coconut Oil

Options
kdw_130
kdw_130 Posts: 18 Member
Just looking for some more information. I have been reading a lot on these boards and other websites about the benefits of coconut oil and decided to try implementing it into my diet. At the grocery store today the regular coconut oil was ~ $10 for ~450g (forgive me, I don't remember the exact numbers), and the virgin coconut oil was $13 for 250g, so quite a bit more expensive.

In the reading I've done so far it seems like the difference lays mostly in the extraction of the oil from the coconut and preparation (I believe the virgin oil is never heated and therefore in it's purest form, but I also thought one of the benefits of coconut oil was that it didn't lose it's health value when heated). A lot of the websites (which I know are not always accurate) have made it seem as through the regular oil has the same benefits.

When I compared the labels it seemed the nutrition information was farely similiar. There was a difference in that the regular oil was "aroma free" and claimed to not influence the taste of food when used for cooking. However, the virgin oil has a slight aroma.

I did end up (grudgingly due to the price difference) getting the virgin because I read on one of these boards it was better, but do not understand why, and therefore am looking for more information.

Thanks!

Replies

• luckygirl007
    luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Look for the "unrefined" extra virgin. Extra virgin meaning the first press and more nutritious. There are some cheaper brands that are used for deep frying. These are not unrefined and not organic or extra virgin. For taste and quality you did the right thing. I look for it to go on sale and stock up. Jarrow or Barleans I have found are the best.
  • mlmcquinn
    mlmcquinn Posts: 41
    Options
    I am with you in the curiosity. I bought the basic kind because I hadn't heard anything about the virgin vs regular debate. Our grocery store only had the regular kind. The kind I bought has no flavor at all, but says not to use it for deep frying. The kind my mom got online tastes very lightly like coconut, but was twice the price. I haven't read anything yet that has convinced me that the health benefits are less with the "non virgin" type. If anyone has some conclusive science on this, I'd love to hear it.
  • Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There is a ton of information on the websites Tropical Traditions. Their coconut oil is fantastic and they have a lot of free recipes and information.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Well-timed, I just read this in the last couple of days, it should answer most questions:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut-oil-health-benefits/#more-3572