Frustrated- new to site

Options
Hi all! I am new to this site though I have been using LoseIt for the last 4 weeks. I switched because I think this database is better. Anyhow.....

I am SO frustrated. I have been working really hard, watching my caloric intake then adjusting my fat, protein, carb intake. I have been consistently under my calories and have been working out as well. Although I feel good that my cardio endurance has improved, I haven't lost an ounce!!

What frustrates me even more is when that banner says 'If every day were like to day, you would weigh ***** by such-and-such date'. UGH! Well every day has been that way for four weeks and the scale hasn't budged.

It's taking everything I have not to just throw in the towel and go back to pasta and fried food. I mean, why am I depriving myself of things I LOVE for nothing??

Btw, I also get crazy that I can workout just as much as my fiance and he burns twice as many calories. What the ?? LOL

I would appreciate any ideas or words of encouragement. (Please don't tell me I don't need to lose weight though- thats another thing that makes me crazy.)

Stats-
41 yr old female, 5'2", small frame
Aug 2011 -- 128 (no work outs, just cut down on calories)
January 2012 ---- 117 (started tracking and working out)
Now- 117

Replies

• Homer1963
    Homer1963 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know it doesn't seem like you are losing any weight but you can tell by your body figure that things are moving around for the better. Don't give up till the end of March. I too lost 10-lbs in Jan with just changing my diet and have been going to the gym every day 7 days a week the whole month of March and I only lost 4-lbs and I lost those in the last 2 days. I have gone up and down all month by losing 4-lbs and gaining it back over the weekend. I have not took the stance that no more drinking on the weekends. I am taking my Thursdays and that is the only day i will drink. The weekends are off limits because i eat whatever because of the fact I am drinking.

I know it's frustrating as I am there with you on that, but lets see how this next month goes before you throw in the towel. I think you will be surprised what you see. If nothing else I will buy you a new scale that will show you what you want to see...:)

I think this new site will helps us more then the Lose-it site so lets give this site a chance and see how is next month goes.:bigsmile:
  • FRGHTRAIN
    FRGHTRAIN Posts: 12
    Options
    I know the scale dosent show it love but i keep telling you i can tell the difference . You are much more toned and "firmed up" :) dont let that scale bring you down, remember muscle weighs more then fat and you are turning into my lil buff muscle machine !!!!!
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The first thing I see is that you only have 12.5 lbs that you want to lose. You are not going to see the results the same as someone that has 112 lbs to lose so you must be patient.

Also if you make your diary public we could see what you are eating and maybe give suggestions on how to change it to help with the weight loss. Taking a stab at it I would say check how much sugar you are eating as Ive seen people here say that too much sugar will inhibit your weight loss. Also be sure you are eating pretty clean.. as few processed foods as possible that way you limit your sodium and you are not carrying any water weight.

Have you measured to see if you are losing inches?
    Good luck.. patience is the key as it will be worth it in the end even though I know you want results sooner than later!
    Im sure you feel better and look better now you just have to get that scale to budge!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    At your weight you should be creating a small deficit, lifting some weights and focus on losing body fat and not weight on the scales. You should take measurements and go by those instead.

Good luck!
  • Quel1970
    Quel1970 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support (especially Homer and Frghtrain). I'm REALLY trying to stay positive but damn its hard. ANd I won't through in the towel (though I may destroy the scale) simply because I do FEEL better.

I can climb the stairs easier, do things around the house, etc. Besides, I have to get my cardio up so I can keep up better on the golf course! :)

As far as making my food diary public, I have no problem with that. I do NOT eat a ton of processed foods. 90% of my meals are at home and I prefer real food. I do not eat breakfast, never have, never will. I eat when I am hungry and I am just NOT hungry in the morning. (I used to weigh 105 for years and didn't eat breakfast then either so.....)

I think this 1200 calories a day is too much and it 'yells' at me to eat more. Thats how I got this heavy in the first place... UGH!
  • Quel1970
    Options
    Ok. I weighed in this morning and was down .5. At least its something.

I looked at the last four weeks and did some calculations. Adding up my calorie deficits, the total was 4,922 calories UNDER for four weeks. Scientifically speaking, I should have lost 1.4 lbs (3500 calorie deficit = 1 lb).

I know I need 1200 calories a day just to function (my BMR). So doesn't it make sense to take
    1200 x 7 days= 8400
    8400-1750 (half a lb)= 6650 needs to be consumed per week to lose .5lb
    6650/7=950 calories per day

SO, I actually need to have a balance of 950 calories a day to lose 1/2 lb a week. Which means I have to eat less OR exercise more. Which means I need to burn 250 calories a day through exercise. Oh my....
    Which is nuts when 45 min on the treadmill@3.5 mph only burns 152 calories. I would have to do 75 min to reach 250 calories burned. I better get going.....
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    nevermind you are not even eating 3 meals a day so I am wasting my breath
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is what you need to eat in order to live. You shouldn't eat less than that. You only have a small amount to lose, so you should be eating 1200 if you're sedentary. If you're lightly active (you do some exercise 1-3 times a week) then you should be eating more like 1350.
  • Runnergirl163
    Runnergirl163 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What keeps me going when I want to throw in the towel (scale, weights, whatever is handy) is I have a very firm picture of what my life would be if I DIDN'T keep going at it. I didn't gain all my weight overnight, I can't expect to lose it all overnight. I do understand the frustration of plateus and here's how I deal with them.

First, add weights. As a 41-year old woman, weights will be very good for you. They'll shock your muscles into activity, and ultimately your metabolism. And they are great for building your bones...very important for women our age, so we don't end up all hunched over. Milk alone will not save us. Don't worry about "bulking" up, unless you are taking male hormones for some reason, and also don't buy into the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" crap. Sorry, but it's my biggest pet peeve. One pound of muscle equals the same as one pound of fat. The difference is the muscle takes up less mass, therefore is smaller. Doesn't weigh more, just takes up less space. Some of the others suggested measuring yourself, and I do recommend that. Sometimes the Digital Devils are pure evil, so you need to know that you're doing well without their affirmation!

Secondly...eat breakfast. Now, I say this as a person who does not leap out of bed and immediately eat. But you should "break the fast" at some point in the am. I am up anywhere from 5am to 7am, and usually eat my first meal of the day around 8:30am. Even if it's a simple yogurt with some high fibre cereal mixed in. Or, if you don't like to eat that early, try a smoothie with some frest fruit, yogurt or almond milk, protein (I like PB in mine) and/or spinach. They're green, but oh, so good for you.

Sadly the older we get (49 and counting), the harder it is to lose weight. I remember thinking about aerobics in my twenties and dropping 10 pounds!! Now I go to boot camp 3 times a week, run 3-4 times a week and watch what I'm eating. Not nearly as fun, but then I do something awesome, like complete a marathon, and I wonder how my twenty-year old self would have done. Cut yourself some slack. You are worth this journey, regardless of how long it takes.

Kudos from Canada for trying.

:smile:
  • Quel1970
    Options
    Thanks for your responses.
    I have never been a breakfast person, I don't think I should eat when I am NOT hungry and I have ALWAYS believed in calories in, calories out. However, at this point, I am willing to try anything and I have read that in order to boost my metabolism, I need to eat more frequently so I will try it. I also read that it can take 30-90 days for metabolism to change??

Regardless if the scale budges, I really enjoy the workouts! It has given me more energy and I know for a fact that I am stronger. So even if I never get into my 'other' jeans, I am going to keep up with the work outs.

Thanks again!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    nevermind you are not even eating 3 meals a day so I am wasting my breath

I'm glad you didn't waste your virtual breath, it probably would have been used to sprout some pseudo-science about eating more to boost your metabolism anyway...

Quel, I won't tell you that you don't need to lose any weight :P, but given that you do not have a lot of weight to lose, it is going to take you some time to shift it so please be patient.

A couple of pieces of advice, or food for though (albeit far from professional advice) would be to mix things up a bit.

Firstly, if you are not a breakfast person, then don't eat it. Don't use your calories to choke down a meal when you don't want it. Have a look at the Intermittent Fasting program (such as the one on the leangains website). This may help. Just remember that whatever you choose to follow, be it 6 meals a day or two, shouldn't be a chore and something that you dread doing. You do well to hit your macros so I dont really think you have to change the core of your diet. Just make sure you are only on a small defecit with your calorie settings though, you don't really want to lose more than 1/2 pound a week (1lb max!) at your size.

Can you change up your exercise routines? Change the frequency of your workouts, or the type of workouts (ie maybe a bit less cardio and more weights). Whatever it is, just do something different for a couple of weeks, it'll keep things interesting and can help bust through a stubborn plateau.

Some things to think about anyway. Best of luck!
  • johncaraher
    johncaraher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Stats-
    Now- 117

I think you should ignore the scale entirely. 117 pounds is perfectly appropriate for a 5'2" woman - the calculator I'm looking at pegs the BMI at 21.4 and says your weight is in the 11th percentile (compared to American women of the same height and age). Losing 10 pounds puts your BMI at 19.6; the same site says this is 2nd percentile and classified as being underweight by the World Health Organization.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Stats-
    Now- 117

I think you should ignore the scale entirely. 117 pounds is perfectly appropriate for a 5'2" woman - the calculator I'm looking at pegs the BMI at 21.4 and says your weight is in the 11th percentile (compared to American women of the same height and age). Losing 10 pounds puts your BMI at 19.6; the same site says this is 2nd percentile and classified as being underweight by the World Health Organization.

Pay no attention to BMI. If anything get a good body fat test done and go by that, BMI is too generic and pretty much useless. Just go to what YOU are happy with.