Losing weight slowly isn't so bad after all

Options
Hi everyone,
I have been struggling to lose weight since I've had two big boys. I gained 50 pounds with the first. I very quickly lost 45 of those pounds! I was doing great, just had some toning to do. Then I had another baby. I only gained 26 pounds with this one. I lost half of it very quickly, but because he was born over the holidays I gained the weight back, without knowing it. I weighed myself on Christmas day on our new scale (what kind of gift is that anyways? LOL). At that point I took a stand to lose the weight. Well, it's been over 2 years now and I still haven't reached my ideal weight. What I have found, though, is that the weight I do lose stays off. I lost 20 pounds, but still have 20 more to go. (Because I was not my ideal weight when I got pregnant in the first place). Anyways, I said all of that to say this: I've learned that with my new metabolism and increasing age...ok, I'm not old, but still, in your 20's you lose some of your youth....I can at least understand where I am and accept it. I averaged almost 1 pound in a month, rather than 1 pounds a week, like I aimed for in the beginning. I rearranged my "goals" on my fitness pal page and it helped me to make more reasonable goals. I was trying to eat so few calories that every day I'd have to exercise more to make up for the extra calories intake. Now I can eat almost 400 calories more a day and I don't feel so much like a failure at the end of the day. My goals are for a more stretched out weight loss program...and ultimately, it will work, because the weight I have lost, generally stays off. (unless I have a bad weekend...but I get it off very shortly). So, my success is that I have understood my situation and can happily eat and exercise...and can maintain my weight with a slow and steady weight loss that I can handle and enjoy. I hope this helps those who are struggling with the calorie intake/exercise outtake.
Thanks for everyone's encouragement. It has been a long road. (And I do plan for a tummy tuck once I finish having babies ;) )
Suzanne

Replies

• maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Always good to evaluate and make the best goals - sometimes what we start out with is such a romanticized, unrealistic goal. Better to accept what is realistic, make the best choice for YOU, and continue with your journey than it is to give up and say "it's too hard" or "this isn't EXACTLY, PERFECTLY what I planned before I knew better". What a great realization and change in goals! Keep up the great work!!! :flowerforyou:
  • MRSWESSON
    MRSWESSON Posts: 107
    Options
    I agree 100%. I've lost weight very quickly in the past, and gained it back just as quickly. This time around I am working hard at it, but not too concerned with shedding 20 pounds in a month :ohwell:

I am loosing more slowly then in the past, but I am also training myself to eat right and I notice more muscle peeking out through my cunkers :wink:

A pound lost is much better then a pounds gained no matter how long it took to loose it, slowly but surely wins the race :laugh: I'm such a nerd:glasses:

:heart: I love your outlook on your weight loss time line and if more people would be less concerned with how many pounds they lost this week and more focused on how many pounds they kept off this week there would be a lot less discouragement :bigsmile: Keep it up, results are results and in the end you will look back and be elated that you did loose slowly.

HUGS!
  • skearns
    skearns Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree too. This time I'm keeping it off. When you lose it too fast, you don't change your habits, and that is the most important thing of all.
  • Itscrunchtime
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I wasn't sure if this post would get many replies...but I guess I was wrong. Thanks for the encouragement!!!!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    You're doing great!
    :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!