Must conquer sugar addiction!

Options
I am a serious sugar addict. I eat about three times more sugar than I should, I think about sugar twenty times a day, about 80% of what I eat is mostly sugar. Yesterday is was donuts, the day before it was skittles and I can't stop at just a few! Despite my almost constant snacking, I am always hungry.

I know I need to just do at least a week with no sugar at all, but I just don't know if I could make it. I'm about thirty pounds over weight and I'm sick of it!

Does anyone have advice? I'd love to hear from a former sugar addict who was able to kick it for good.

Replies

• Cupcake888
    Options
    I would love to hear what others have done because I crave sweets a lot!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I just...quit. Well, mostly. I still have a little refined sugar but definitely not on a daily basis or in the amounts I used to. You will find that the less you eat, the less you will crave it. I get a headache now if I eat too much sugar.

I don't worry about the natural sugar in fruits, veggies, and dairy though.
  • carlaunderconstruction
    Options
    I still am addicted to sugar, but not on the small level that I was. In May 2011, I cut it out completely along with another couple of things I thought might be irritating my gut, and I went through serious withdrawl for about a week and a half. All I thought about was sugar, I got headaches, and I just felt aweful for a few the first few days. Once I got threw that, I felt much better, than I had in a long time. I last a month with no sugar, before I somehow broke and starting consuming refined sugar again. I try to only have sugar in moderation now, and like the previous posting I do not worry about naturally occuring sugars in my daily intake.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    There are two schools of thought - give up sugar snacks entirely, or, replace *most* of your sugar calories with more nutritious food, but allow a little bit of sugar in moderation. Different people are successful at each strategy. The trick is to figure out which works best for you.

I'm definitely in the latter category. I haven't cut sugar entirely out of my diet but I've cut back loads. I have a doughnut now and then, or a cupcake, but it's definitely rare. The last time I had dessert was on Valentine's Day. I DO have a small bite of chocolate or a hard candy (like one jolly rancher) once a day to satisfy my sweet tooth. But for some people that would be enough to trigger a binge. It's just different for everyone.

If you have poor impulse control, it wouldn't hurt to work on that a little. Discipline, in general, is a good life skill!

Some practical tips: in order to avoid fighting temptation, don't keep treats in the house. Avoid the vending machine, or quickmart, or any place you can buy sugar-y crap. Instead pack your own snacks from home in case you need a quick bite when you're out. At restaurants, just don't look at the dessert menu! I also find that having a piece of fruit with every meal helps quell the cravings.

Good luck!
  • Clarea85
    Clarea85 Posts: 5
    Options
    Not sure if it will be of any help but it worked for me.

I was using diet coke to keep me full but was under eating and constantly craving sugar and chocolate so decided to kick the diet coke addiction which also meant caffeine. Granted its pretty hard but my sugar cravings are non existent. What I also found is foods I thought I loved I actually don't like.

Maybe one to try is really savoring what your eating and find is it actually what you like. My list was over 400 food items and so far I have only got about 40 foods I really love. Of which only one is sugar based.
  • 20pounds2012
    Options
    I really think I have no impulse control because once I start I can't stop, so going cold turkey is what I really need to do. I'm just so scared of actually making a commitment because I don't think I could follow through and I think I would just discourage me even more. I don't know what to do, but I cannot keep going on the way I have been.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Sugar makes me crave more. If I don't eat sweets, I'm much more satisfied. I still like sweets, but I don't expect them every day.

One thing that helped me withdraw was making more things from scratch -- for instance, I had a yogurt maker, and I gradually decreased the amount of sugar in my yogurt, as I began to prefer a less sweet taste.

Adults naturally start to prefer less sweet things than they did as children. It just happens as your taste buds age.
  • Davis1818
    Davis1818 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I could have written half of these! I actually stopped for about a year and then just one time and bam, I can't stop. Am too, trying to give them up completely. For good. I need help too!
  • frootbat31
    Options
    You should look up 'sugar sensitive' or 'sugar addiction', because its like the sugar gives more than just the usual 'rush'. I'm a sugar addict and need to watch myself around sweets. Here are a few tips;
    -Don't buy or keep sweets in the house. It forces you to take an extra trip to get out there and and find some.
    -Drink water before eating sweets. This cuts down on the amount of sugar you'll eat.
    -Be sure you're getting all your nutrition. Take a supplement. Sometimes cravings is how the body is telling it needs something and we misinterpret the signals for the wrong food.
    -Allow yourself sweets, but in very small amounts. Instead of a candybar, I go to the bulk candy section and get small pieces of candy there. If I eat out, I will share a dessert rather than narf down a whole piece by myself.
    -If you do eat sweets, make sure it has something more than just sugar. I eat cereal bars or yogurt covered raisers.
    Good luck!
  • Marina614
    Marina614 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what is MFP politically correct or not but I know I tell the truth so here goes! LOL I was addicted to sugar mostly found in foods. White flour based food, white starch foods, high sugar fruits and sweets. You name it I craved it. I also got extremely ill and was hospitalized 3 times with an acute intestinal disease. I took charge of my life last year when I was told I had to have colon re sectioning surgery. I started a whole food diet and I incorp a whole food meal replacement every single morning with out fail. I have been sugar free since last July/August. I have no cravings or high/low blood sugar any longer. I am 51 and med free and I avoided major surgery. Bonus I released 24 pounds and 26 inches too :)) Results from all testing in Dec is I do not have to go back for 5 years! It can be done with diet. I am more then happy to help. Please friend me :)
  • jmariesb
    jmariesb Posts: 7
    Options
    I craved sugar constantly as well....until I gave it up cold turkey. I threw out all the sugary junk in our house. My biggest help has been frozen fruit. I freeze grapes, peaches, strawberries, whatever and then allow that in the evening as my dessert. It is so good and so satisfying. I won't lie and tell you it will be easy, the first three days were pure hell for me (and everyone around me too..LOL) But honestly once you get over that first rough patch it gets so much easier. Now I rarely even want anything sugary anymore. When I do I have a small piece of very dark chocolate and that takes care of it. I lost my first 20 pounds this way. now I'm going to try and start on new habits to lose the rest :) Good luck.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I agree with what was said about making sure you're meeting your nutritional needs. Not only does filling up on sugar mean you're likely nutritionally deficient, being low on iron can give you cravings. Ice cold Pepsi is popular, and don't try to talk them into diet Pepsi or even regular Coke. It's gotta be Pepsi.
  • lnorwood81
    Options
    I am currently following Dr. Mike Dow's Diet Rehab program. The book explains what you are lacking, either you are serotonin or dopamine deficit, or both. I'm serotonin deficit, therefore I crave sweets. I'm also a binge eater with sweets. I'm in the first week into the program and my body is going through withdrawal and I feel like crap. But I know I can ditch the sweets.

I've lost 75 pounds within the last year. And when people around me said I was becoming too thin (even though i disagree), I started binging on sweets...that was 4 weeks ago. Every time I had a rough moment of the day, i would turn to sweets. On Easter, I couldn't just have a small slice of cake, I eat a full meal and then had 5 slices...and I wanted more! I thought I could stop on my own and I can't! I would suggest this program to anyone who wants to stop their negative eating patterns and change their lifestyle to postive self talk and healthy eating.
  • jenhaze
    jenhaze Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how you were making out with Diet Rehab? I'm in week 3 and LOVE it. I too am addicted to cake. You're not alone. I mean LIterally!