guilt and eating

Options
im supposed to eat 1200 callories a day (according to this site).. but when i sit down to a meal.. no matter HOW many calories it has, i have this terrible guilt feeling.. and expecially when the meal leaves me really feeling full! i also constantly step on the scale.. most likely adds to my guilt of eating..
anyone else have eating guilt? or should i just go get therapy now. :)

Replies

• TheBombshell
    Options
    Yes I am very close to goal weight.I have lost 7kg and looking great I would HATE to put on the weight again.So I experience feelings of guilt about food and these feelings can lead to a binge and worse guilt feelings.You are not alone.I feel at times like I am losing my mind and need to get a grip.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Stop obsessing with the scale. It will drive you nuts. If you aren't already there.
  • Megclark37
    Megclark37 Posts: 111
    Options
    You took the words out of my mouth. I feel so guilty eating certain things, even though I eat VERY healthy now.. I constantly weigh myself- 5 times a day.. at least. It's pretty obsessive. I measure or count out everything I eat (I even count out goldfish) It's really frustrating so I totally understand how you're feeling. Feel free to add me- there's more I'd like to tell you!
  • FitSid
    FitSid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You should see your doctor about how you're feeling with the guilt and what not.
    Explain to them the obsession with weight loss, guilt can be the early signs of an eating disorder.

I am not a doctor or a professional so please don't take my word for it I could be totally wrong, however there is no harm in seeing your doctor anyway :flowerforyou:
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    No? Eating food is a natural part of life, I feel guilty if I stuff myself but to feel guilty over eating ANYTHING? Not normal.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Chuck out the scale. Only bad things can come of it.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same thing. You can over come this. I knew I had to consume at least 1200 to keep my body running and not harm myself but it was hard, 1. I was never hungry so I felt like I was force feeding myself. and 2. I did feel guilty just the same. Makes no sense, I know but I do understand. I still weigh myself a few times day and it actually had the reverse affect than I was cautioned about. I got to know my bodies changes. For example, I am always roughly 2 lbs heavier when I go to bed than when I wake up. It also showed me when I was retaining water with TOM symptoms, so I did not panick when I saw a 4lb gain..it went away in a few days (with out altering calories, it was TOM water retention). I only recorded and really noted the Sunday morning scale reading here. The rest was just a habit I guess. I would add things like Flax Seed, or use milk in my shakes instead of water, ect.. just look for small (yet still healthy) ways to push up the calories if you are not a big eater. Please do not dip below 1200 and try to eat clean whole foods so you do not feel guilty (that is what helped me). I did reach my goal in a decent amount of time, and I actually started eating my exercise calories back in (which in the beginning I was afraid to do) and I also noticed once I started eating them...my energy level went up as well.
  • Megclark37
    Megclark37 Posts: 111
    Options
    I agree with seeing a doctor. I know I shouldn't be talking.. but I got diagnosed with anxiety and OCD around this time last year, but it has gotten a TON better with therapy/medication
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Why should you feel guilt? Food is a basic necessity... Do you feel guilt when you need to refuel your car? If you don't eat, you will die. You should only feel guilt if you are constantly putting junk into your body instead of good nutrition. Getting healthy is the reason we are here... Not to starve ourselves.
  • dandybug
    dandybug Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I've gotten to my goal weight and I find myself paranoid about gaining it all back. Sometimes I really don't want to eat at all. There are days I almost have to force feed myself the 1200 calories. I try not to beat myself up about it. If there is a day a week, where I can't get in as much as 1200 calories, it doesn't mean I have an eating disorder. Just like having one cheat day a week doesn't mean I'll gain all the weight back. I find it helpful to journal about my fears. It really helps to get out all my worries and really be honest about my body image to the pages of my journal. Good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    No guilt for me. Not over what I eat.

I'll feel guilty if I forget to refill the dog's water bowl and don't notice it's empty until he runs outside to drink from a puddle in the yard.

I'm NEVER going to feel guilty for giving my body the fuel it needs.
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    I also obsess over the scale as well, weighing myself at least twice a day, then I ***** and moan at night when I'm a pound heavier.. ugh
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • angelwings38
    Options
    You really have to figure out the role the scales have in your life. They can be uplifting or depressing, but in reality all they show are numbers. What works best for me is to look at trends and to only record my weight once a week. If I weigh myself more frequently, I start either obsessing or eating. It is part of my method for developing will power.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Food is just food. Weights and logs are just data. The purpose of a program like this is to control the eating by separating it from the emotional overlay. I would agree that counseling would be good to try to understand what emotions you are attaching to food. I was thinking that some creative outlets would be useful, like keeping a journal, writing poetry, music, art, etc. Maybe even food photography or still life painting, to find a wholesome outlet for your emotions.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself is going to make your weight loss journey so hard. I have decided to weigh myself only once a month. Just to keep myself on track. If I haven't gotten the appropriate results in a month, then I know to adjust my diet and workout.

Please don't feel guilty about eating. Food is fuel to create energy so you can live. You need it.

Be grateful and proud when you eat healthy. You know why people pray over their food? It is to put themselves in a grateful mindset and it makes for a more positive eating experience. You can send bad energy through your body with those negative thoughts while you are eating.

Be proud that you have made the decision to be healthier.

:) BC
  • mrosem87
    mrosem87 Posts: 31
    Options
    I felt the same way! I used to weigh myself everyday (sometimes, more than once) even though I knew that the scale wouldn't budge after just one day, lol. AND because of the scale, I also felt guilty when I ate and was miserable with every calorie. But after reading posts on MFP and talking to some people here, I realized those were bad habits that I needed to get rid off. Soooo my scale is now hidden so that I can stop obsessing about numbers.