Does exercise really help with weight loss?

Options
The reason I ask, is because I became a lot more active in the past 3 months, and think I'm losing the same amount of weight as I was before when I was only counting calories. And I was really gung ho about this until I came across several people and articles saying it doesn't do anything to increase weight loss, only a change in diet does. What is the truth? I have been considering joining a gym, but I don't want to spend money if it doesn't make a difference.

Replies

• April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I would agree with that. Either way exercise isn't just for losing weight. It is to make you healthy. Stick with it you'll see the results.
  • privatenike
    privatenike Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a huge part of weight loss. It helps u to increase your metabolism, which helps u to keep burning calories even when u are at rest. Exercising also helps u to gain more muscle, and the more muscle u have the more fat ur body can burn. Like I said exercise is HUGE for weight loss but ur right with the dieting...ur diet plays just as big of a role. The two definitely go hand in hand. Keep up the good work with both and u will be happy with the results!
  • mythos23
    mythos23 Posts: 15
    Options
    Let's put it this way, muscle tissue by volume will weigh more than the same volume of fat, this is kind of general knowledge. The really fun thing about muscle tissue is that they take more energy to maintain that other tissues in the body. Where does your body get energy? By burning off the food you eat. so if you have a lot of muscle you will need proportionally more food.

I can see where people would get the idea that exercise wouldn't help weight loss but I just don't see the point of just diet tracking.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Here are some research conclusions:

Exercise helps w/weight loss in the following ways:

*aerobic exercise can expend larger amounts of calories, helping maintain an energy balance.

*higher intensity aerobic exercise can result in a higher resting metabolism, but probably only during recovery time -- no permanent changes.

*I have seen mixed research on the effects of resistance training--there were a number of studies done 10-12 years ago that suggested that a combo of strength and cardio resulted in greater weight loss, even with no change in fat free mass (FFM)--greater than the equivalent amount of either cardio or strength performed alone. I have seen other studies that indicate no increase in resting metabolism, even with increases in FFM. I suspect that, in most cases, the effects of "increasing muscle mass" on weight loos are overstated.

*Exercise seems to help conserve fat free mass and offset the decrease in resting energy expenditure (REE) that accompanies significant weight loss. I was looking at studies today that suggested that the decrease in REE in exercisers was only 1/2 the decrease in those who lost weight via diet and exercise.

*Exercise has numerous health and psychological benefits, which contribute to overall health. I firmly believe that exercise also results in increased self-confidence and self-esteem which I think are extremely important to weight loss.

It is true that exercise alone does not seem to be very effective as a weight loss tool. Again, I think the consensus is that diet changes and control of energy intake are crucial parts of a program.

Personally, I don't see how one can effectively and permanently lose weight without exercise.

Part of the problem is that exercise recommendations tend to be all over the board. Among the national govt agencies and health advocacy groups, the recommended exercise standards tend to be too weak, IMO, for weight loss. I think the main reason is that these groups are focused almost exclusively on writing guidelines for the general population which is mostly sedentary. The concern is that if recommendations are perceived as being too much or too challenging, most people will not even try.

However, the flip side is that by setting the recommendations too low, you significantly decrease the success rate. I don't know the answer.

Also, many of the effects of exercise are often overstated, esp the potential increase in resting metabolism with exercise. The effects are also often inaccurately applied--the positive effects of a high-intensity workout or activity are also indiscriminately attributed to a lower-intensity or recreational activity, e.g. a 30 min walk vs a 30-min run, or an aerobic class w/5lb weights vs a HIT type strength workout.

What I can say is that I think that to effectively lose weight, you need to burn at least 2,000-2,500 calories per week with exercise. I also think frequency is important as well--5 times per week. The program needs to include cardio and strength training. If you are comfortable and physically able to work up to higher intensities (not all out, but not recreational either), I think you will see better results.

176328.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • alepublicity
    alepublicity Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try P90X

You will see the change it is a combo Nutrition and exercise.
    It is critical to have the right combination!

I have been struggling for yeas to lose weight and it was until I combined both things I could finally lose 10 pounds.

You don't have to be supper fit! you just have to try and do the best you can! Plus you can do it at the comfort of your own home!

I am trilled with the results!

It is a slow process and you have to work hard but it is well worth it!

Good luck!
  • photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes, exercise does really help with weight loss. Plus it's good for your heart.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I read an article earlier that basically said exercise does not help with weight loss. The basic idea was that exercise makes us hungry, therefore we eat more.

http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/

MFP recommends eating your exercise calories, so in that regards, exercise is not helping with weight loss as it's not adding to the deficit in calories. So, exercise may not directly impact weight loss (calorie for calorie), but there are so many other benefits to regular exercise.

___

I personally have never lost weight without a combination of diet modifications and exercise. They go hand in hand for me.
  • Bella_Luna
    Options
    I would also like to add that exercise lowers blood pressure, decreases the risk or heart attacks and strokes, strengthens and tones muscle, as well as aids in building bone mass. It makes your body stronger, so that your heart can pump blood more efficiently, so that your lungs can increase their oxygen intake and will build your overall feeling of health and wellbeing. If you follow a regular exercise program throughout your life, it will help prevent you from being one of those elderly wheelchair-bound patients you often see in a hospital or nursing home. Its the "use it or lose it" idea. As you get older, you will become less and less flexible and moving will become more difficult and you could become proverbial "dead weight" unless you keep yourself mobile and stretched out with regular exercise.
  • mappy
    mappy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Remember - weight bearing exercise builds bone mass - women need to build bone mass as we get older to avoid osteoporosis.
  • mythos23
    mythos23 Posts: 15
    Options
    Remember - weight bearing exercise builds bone mass - women need to build bone mass as we get older to avoid osteoporosis.

True, my great aunt had some kind of bone density test done not too long ago, she has the spine of a 25 year old (she's almost 80). She also runs in the seniors 100m and 200m sprints, she's got a bunch of medals to prove it. I love my great aunt.
  • Chickiebabe151
    Options
    I am baffled. Of course it helps you loose weight. It burns calories while you are doing the excersise, it uses your fat stores for energy, thus burning fat, it increases your matabolism so you burn more calories while you are not excersising, and it increases muscle which makes you burn more calories. It also reduces your appetite, increases endorphins which will make you eat less for comfort, and helps you sleep better which is essential for weight loss. Yes, it makes you hungier but if you choose your foods correctly you don't need to eat everything you burned off. Even if you choose to eat all of the calories, then that just gives you that many more calories to eat. We all know it's not easy staying under the dailly caloric limit. Look at everyone you know or see on tv who works out. They look good dont they? Trust me, this is not some sick joke the world has been playing on us all along to get us to be miserable.

If you don't like to work out start with walks. An hour walk a day will burn at least 400 calories. Thats a great start. Working out is great for your emotional health and can be very theraputic and medatative. Try to find other motivations for excersising other than your physical appearance...once you do, the routine will be easier to stick to.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Ever seen The Biggest Loser? Those people aren't doing that by just cutting calories.

From my personal experience, I only lose weight if I exercise. Eating right alone just doesn't do it for me.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on why you are trying to lose weight. If you are just doing it to lose weight and thats it then you probably don't need to exercise much. However if you are trying to be healthy as well then exercise is the way to do it.

I'm sure there are alot of people here who can back me up on this.... there are alot of skinny people out there that are unhealthy despite thier size.
  • igmom
    igmom Posts: 90
    Options
    I completely agree with all the health benefits of exercise, but let's just talk about vanity for a minute.

Your weight loss goal is not just the number on your scale. You want to look toned and fit. The only way to do that is through resistance training. As we age, we lose muscle mass. So even if we weigh the same as we did in high school, we don't look the same.

Join the gym, and get inspired by the people you see there who are dedicated to fitness.
  • anglbebe
    anglbebe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree with koegl. At the moment I weigh less than I did at age 19, but I am not able to get into those clothes. Because there is way too much lose skin. My reason I lost too fast. Due to being diagnosed with PCOS, and getting the meds I needed. But now its evening out and with the exercise I am seeing 2 to 3 inches going away when only losing 1 pound or 2.

I look at it this way. Depending on how much you had to lose of course. If you were to say lose 50 pounds by just diet. Your skin would sag everywhere and you wouldn't feel that great about your weight loss. Now if you did diet and exercise you would tone you muscles and look better too.

Muscle weighs more than fat. So you may not lose "weight" right a way but you will definitely see a difference in inches.

Just from experience.:flowerforyou:
  • planetcitygirl73
    planetcitygirl73 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    All really great points. Many of you brought up things that I didn't think of. As for where I got the idea of exercise not being essential to weight loss, there were some people on the Weight Watchers board that were saying it, so I did some googling and quickly came across these two articles:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13821677/

And this:

http://weightoftheevidence.blogspot.com/2007/10/does-exercise-make-you-lose-weight.html

The internet can be a a wonderful tool, but at the same time it seems like there are a million sources that give you conflicting information.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    All really great points. Many of you brought up things that I didn't think of. As for where I got the idea of exercise not being essential to weight loss, there were some people on the Weight Watchers board that were saying it, so I did some googling and quickly came across these two articles:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13821677/

And this:

http://weightoftheevidence.blogspot.com/2007/10/does-exercise-make-you-lose-weight.html

The internet can be a a wonderful tool, but at the same time it seems like there are a million sources that give you conflicting information.

You just have to be really careful when looking at stories written in a general style, especially when they involve book authors who are trying to expose the "myths" of one thing or another. A lay person writing a book tends to become very selective about what research they examine and often lacks the broader academic perspective to evaluate the research they DO look at.

Human nutrition and weight loss are complex subjects. It is extremely difficult to control for the many variables, which is why I think you get a number of different results from different studies. You can look at one small part of the process (e.g. elevation of resting energy expenditure after exercise) is isolation, but it becomes more difficult to extrapolate the results to a larger group.

Differences in body types, differences in metabolism, differences in exercise routines, differences in even defining the terms: "weight loss", "fat loss", "exercise", etc all contribute to the general confusion.

And. finally, there is often no consensus on what constitutes "success". Is is amount weight lost in 3 months? 6 months? 1 year? 5 years?

As a rule, when someone makes an absolutist type of statement--e.g. "exercise doesn't work" or "everyone must eat X to lose weight"--they should be considered guilty until proven innocent.

There is no "one size fits all"approach.
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    Exercise just makes me feel and look better....tones me up....scale slows down but I look smaller and better in my clothes. Plus, I FEEL so energetic and just overall feel so much better!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on why you are trying to lose weight. If you are just doing it to lose weight and thats it then you probably don't need to exercise much. However if you are trying to be healthy as well then exercise is the way to do it.

I'm sure there are alot of people here who can back me up on this.... there are alot of skinny people out there that are unhealthy despite thier size.

That's my goal- to be healthier than the skinny girls. :smile:
  • planetcitygirl73
    planetcitygirl73 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much. I hadn't thought of things that way, Azdak. And for those saying it makes you feel good and healthier, I think you're right. I did a mile hike today on a very steep path in the woods. Although it was very difficult, I kept going and had such a sense of accomplishment followed by sore muscles that told me I was working hard. I'm very glad I did it. At the bare minimum, I can tell just from personal experience that exercise is definitely affecting me in a positive way physically and mentally.