Wanted: Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe!

Options
00trayn
00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
MFP members always have such amazing recipe suggestions, and I'm not much of a cook, so I need some help!

I LOVE sweet potatoes. LOVEEEEEEE them. And I'm going to a Thanksgiving potluck dinner with friends on Saturday, agreeing to bring mashed sweet potatoes. One problem... I DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE THEM! I mean, I have trouble cooking chicken breast or fish in the oven, so things with recipes are a bit daunting. Does anyone have any decently healthy, easy to make mashed sweet potato recipes? I'm planning on making them the night before and tossing it in a glass pan to heat up in the oven the next morning to bring over ("dinner" is at 1pm). I love the ones that have honey or syrup or something in them, a few ingredients would be ideal.

Thanks!!! I'm so clueless when it comes to cooking... my poor future husband... hahaha

Replies

• melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/mashed-sweet-potatoes-82726.aspx

very good and very simple!! This recipe is already pretty decent at 133 cal/ 1/2 cup, and you could make it even better by substituting sour cream low fat..
  • KPaden1221
    Options
    we just do our sweet potatoes peel them cube them then boil them till soft put a little butter honey and cinnamon and mash together... YUMMY!!!
  • Alleghany
    Options
    I just bake the sweet potatos, remove the skins, add a bit of cream (I use soy creamer but you could probably use a milk based cream) and maple syrup (I just use a little but it's up to you and your tastebuds). Then I whip it up w/my hand mixer and it's the consistancy of mashed potatoes yet it's sweet. It's so simple yet so good. Hope this helps! GL!
  • blankcanvas
    Options
    This is aweseome! I don't know about the calorie count....You could make substitutions, like buy the canned yams instead of cooking them, and perhaps egg beaters instead of eggs....etc. but I always get RAVES over this:)
    6 medium size sweet potatoes
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp Vanilla
    1/3 cup milk
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    cook potatoes in boiling water 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender. Let cool. Peel and mash. Then combine wiht rest of ingredients and blend with mixer at medium speed until smooth.
    Spoon into 13 x 9 baking pan, sprayed with Pam.
    Then make topping:
    mix together
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup finely chopped nuts
    2 Tablespoons flour
    2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
    Crumble and sprinkle over potato mix in pan
    Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
    You're friends/family will think you're the greatest cook ever!
    Enjoy!
    416185.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • KPaden1221
    Options
    This is aweseome! I don't know about the calorie count....You could make substitutions, like buy the canned yams instead of cooking them, and perhaps egg beaters instead of eggs....etc. but I always get RAVES over this:)
    6 medium size sweet potatoes
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp Vanilla
    1/3 cup milk
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    cook potatoes in boiling water 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender. Let cool. Peel and mash. Then combine wiht rest of ingredients and blend with mixer at medium speed until smooth.
    Spoon into 13 x 9 baking pan, sprayed with Pam.
    Then make topping:
    mix together
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup finely chopped nuts
    2 Tablespoons flour
    2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
    Crumble and sprinkle over potato mix in pan
    Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
    You're friends/family will think you're the greatest cook ever!
    Enjoy!
    416185.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

yes yes they will.. this is my favorite thing to eat.. and sometimes i like to just put some marshmellows on top instead of the crunchy topping... ahhh.. amazing...
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Deborah Madison has a sweet potato mash recipe where you boil the taters w/ fresh ginger and then season w/ some toasted sesame seeds + sesame oil after you've mashed them.
    YUMMY but the flavors might not 'go' with the more buttery traditional dishes. I'm not really a stickler for that kind of thing.

Let me know if you would like the recipe, I have it somewhere. i think it's in her Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.

I did a quick look for the recipe online and instead found someone's revised version of Deborah Madison's Soy-Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Sesame Seeds - the poster already subbed out splenda + verjuice or rice vinegar for the mirin.
    Not a mash, but they look good!
    http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/recipe-for-soy-glazed-sweet-potatoes-with-sesame-seeds-185175

You can always have that future husband do the cooking! :wink:
  • 00trayn
    Options
    You can always have that future husband do the cooking! :wink:

HAHA! Oh I so plan on it, luckily the guy I'm seeing now can cook. I'm also more motivated when I'm cooking for someone other than myself, so maybe that will help with my cooking skills.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I peel, cube and mash mine with a little bit of milk or cream. I even whip them sometimes with a mixer to get really smooth. Then I put them in a dish, drizzle with melted butter, sprinkle with brown sugar and then bake for about 30 minutes. For the last 10 minutes, I put pecan pieces on top so they get toasty......so yummy! You can reduce the sugar and butter lower to make healthier, it doesn't take much to make a nice candied glaze on top.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    * 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can mashed sweet potato (or fresh)
    * 1 cup sugar
    * 1/4 cup milk
    * 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    * 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
    * 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted and divided
    * 1 cup chopped pecans
    * 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

Preparation

Stir together first 7 ingredients, 1/3 cup flour, and 1/4 cup butter; pour into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.

Combine chopped pecans, brown sugar, remaining 1/3 cup flour, and remaining 1/4 cup butter; sprinkle over potato mixture.

Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until bubbly.
  • erin3l
    Options
    Try these! I saw them on Food Network. Alton Brown made them. I also LOVE sweet potatoes!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chipotle-smashed-sweet-potatoes-recipe/index.html
  • 00trayn
    Options
    So many to choose from!!! You guys rock! I'm sure I can pick one that won't take forever to make, and won't require buying a lot of ingredients. I live by myself and I don't cook, so I don't really have spices and such in my collection yet. I can't wait to eat my creation, I think I'll make an extra large batch so I have extra to save for myself :)
  • littlehobbit123
    Options
    I just peel them, cut into chunks and boil for about 10-15mins til you can easily slip a knife through, then add a tiny dash of milk and mash - voila! Best way, less calories than normal mash and you don't need to add anything else (ie milk) for it to taste good unlike normal mash :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Here’s my recipe with a photo I took;

Picture036.jpg

My family loved them when I made them last x-mas and they were so easy and cheap to make. This recipe serves 2 so I had just quadrupled it.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes

2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
    2 medium garlic cloves
    ¼ cup plain fat-free yogurt
    1 tbsp sugar
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Directions: Boil potatoes and garlic until fork-tender approximately 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and garlic; transfer potatoes and garlic to a large bowl. Add yogurt and sugar to bowl, mash until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    WW Points: 2
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    If you have "Aldi'' grocery store anywhere near you they have boxed sweet mashed potatoes like the regular boxed mashed potatoes. I saw them the other day when I was shopping. They were pretty cheap. I don't like sweet potatoes or else I prolly woulda tried em. I'm guessing you just add butter & maybe milk?
  • 00trayn
    Options
    I've actually made the boxed sweet potatoes before and I'm a fan of them. I want to try doing some actual cooking for this meal, but those a great to have as a side dish with my dinner :)

And I LOVEEEE the idea of putting yogurt in the recipe. I'm a big fan of greek yogurt, I can imagine they would be heavenly if I put some in there instead of milk or cream. I knew it was a good idea to ask all of you for help :) They're gonna think I'm such a good cook... haha
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I just peeled, chopped and cooked them like regular potatoes, then i added a couple Tbsp of Herb & Garlic cream cheese while mashing, makes them lightly spicy and delicious (and i do not like cream cheese)
  • Hoptooit
    Hoptooit Posts: 4
    Options
    I just add REAL Maple Syrup instead of sugar etc.