What to eat when I have a sweets craving

Options
I need help! I live with four other people, one of them being my boyfriend, and I am the only one who is trying to eat better and exercising in the house. Consequently, they make cookies and brownies and have ice cream and its all over the place. I always seem to have a sweets craving after dinner and dont want to reach for all that junk food all the time. :( But I dont really know what I can have thats healthy but satisfies my craving. Looking for suggestions on what you guys may eat when you get those cravings. Thanks!

Replies

• katiej122
    katiej122 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Fruit is my favourite for satisfying my sweet tooth without having processed junk :) yoghurt is good too, also if I'm craving something sweet and I'm hungry I have a slice of multigrain toast with a little drizzle of honey...you can also buy jarrah hot chocolate drinks that you make with hot water, and are only about 45 calories a serve, theyre good for an occasional treat and the water fills you up quite a bit suprisingly :)

Oh and weight watchers jelly is a lifesaver, 9 calories a serve, tastes just like normal jelly
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Visit the recipes forum. There is a lot of alternative sweet dishes there....brownies and such.

I usually have a Chobani greek yogurt...apple and cinnamon taste heavenly!
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Can definitely recommend the recipes forum. It could even be something to get your housemates involved in that way! Other than that, I recommend any fruit you like and/or a glass of juice. They always seem to satisfy me when I have a craving for something sweet.
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    also if I'm craving something sweet and I'm hungry I have a slice of multigrain toast with a little drizzle of honey...

Serious craving for that right now! :sad:
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    when I crave something sweet I have a banana and soy milk smoothie, it works for me :)
  • NataschaMarie333
    NataschaMarie333 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh man, Im pretty positive Im the sweet tooth craving queen!
    How do you feel about sugar-free stuff? Im lucky enough to be the most non picky eater ever, so I like just about everything!!!

-Sugar-free jello? 10 cals of yumminess per serving!
    -Pudding!
    -Fruit Salads, always great!
    -Vitatops (chocolate flavor) Check out vitalicious.com. These 100cal muffins packed with vitamins save me, buy the dry mix and make them yourself, keep frozen.
    -No pudge brownies, there's diff flavors
    -sometimes Ill make diet coke (or diet 7-up) cupcakes... just the cake mix, mixed with a can of soda pop and baked.
    -I loooove apple pie! I often cut up an apple, leaving the skin on...sprinkle with cinnamon and nuke for 1-2 min, good with icecream/ frozen yogurt.
    -Another obcession...Dice up an apple, like above sprinkled with cinnamon, pour some yogurt over them (one of those one serving size cups) then sprinkle a pack of your fav oatmeal, any flavor really, stir it up then nuke for 2min... Kinda like a poor mans apple pie, but better for you, I loooove it!
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Fruit is always a great alternative. If it's an ice cream substitution I LOVE frozen grapes.
    Honestly, I've always had the worst sweet tooth and chocolate was my best friend lol....when i started on here in january I cut out all refined sugars (so i still ate fruits and honey, but no candy, no adding sugar to my tea...etc) well...now the cravings are gone. I can walk right past the candy isle when i'm shopping and not look twice. If you can resist for about 2 - 3 weeks you can get rid of those cravings....this isn't just anecdotal evidence...there have been other threads discussing sugar addiction.
  • applekoko19
    applekoko19 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have sugar free jelly... Always helps me :) but more recently I have been having one expensive chocolate a night with a cup of good coffee... I treat it like a quasi-religious experience!
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    Fruit & yoghurt are usually what satisfies my craving - I'll gladly go over my calorie budget, if I have to, to eat that mango, orange or apple. I don't have THAT much of a sweet tooth though :smile:
  • mbriscoe79
    mbriscoe79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with some others. Jelly!!
    I eat Aeroplane Lite Jelly and its 7 calories a serve ( so i double the serving size LOL)
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I love yogurt after dinner, I also sometimes throw some of the little tubs in the freezer so I can have some frozen yogurt after dinner.

I also bought some lollipops that are made from "real" fruit juice and are 38 calories each. If I limit it to one every other day or so, it's a real treat! I bought them at Aldi, but I live in Switzerland, here they are called "Nimm 2" (take 2).
  • PurpleSweetpea
    Options
    Frozen grapes or sugar free jelly :happy:
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I just ran across this bit. Shows healthy substitutes for 16 'cravings'
    http://www.ivillage.com/snack-swapper-tool/4-f-425724?nlcid=t d|03-08-2012|
  • emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Reading these posts is making me crave sweet things... but i usually have fruit or fat free yoghurt!!! There are so many varieties... and some even have chocolate or cake pieces in...! oooo Jelly.... I'm in!
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds weird, but a handful of Frosted Flakes cereal, no milk.

It is sweet and does the trick for me.
  • kelley663
    kelley663 Posts: 20
    Options
    My Fav are the new Fiber one BROWNIES they have reg. chocolate and Peanut butter chocolate and they are 90 calories. I also like sugar free popsicles. Sometimes I have the popsicle when the late night munch hits me :) I have the brownie for one of my snack during the day. Also Skinny Cow makes these grate things called crisps I think they are110 calories , you find them in the candy isle of grocery stores , they are just like a candy bar and satisfy the sweet tooth :)
  • lexidell46
    lexidell46 Posts: 143
    Options
    Skinny cow, is great for my sweet tooth.