Anyone Else Feel Like This? Is It Normal?

Options
I just started this site about two weeks ago. I have been eating right and exercising five times a week. For some reason, today, I haven't had the motivation to do anything! I mean I did all the exercise and I pushed through but it just felt so long and drawn out. Then, I was getting dressed and I just felt like I didn't look good in anything I was wearing. See, I have been losing weight in my sides and my sides look great! Heck, they look just the way I want them to look. However, I haven't been losing any in my front stomach area and I don't understand why. Has any one else felt like this or is it just me? Have you felt like you just don't want to do your exercise for the day and you feel like nothing you put on looks right around the areas you aren't losing in?

Replies

• gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    Have you tried posting in Motivation & Support http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/8-motivation-and-support

You might get a better response there :smile:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I had a real slump about 2 weeks in, which lasted for 2 weeks. I think it's normal, it's your body adjusting to a much lower calorie intake. I felt really cold all the time too.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you've just got to listen to your body and give it a break for an extra day or two if you're tired :) Keep the calories right, just skip the exercise to let your body recover!

Also: everyone has their bad days, but I find taking weekly pictures helps a lot. You might not notice the changes in the mirror but compare it week by week and you'll be able to tell the differences.
  • klmuggsy
    klmuggsy Posts: 13
    Options
    I had a real slump about 2 weeks in, which lasted for 2 weeks. I think it's normal, it's your body adjusting to a much lower calorie intake. I felt really cold all the time too.

Yes I felt the same way. I just wanted to lay there and give up. Haha. I don't think my body is used to not eating so much sugar and fatty foods. Ya know?
  • KathleenPub
    KathleenPub Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I get those days too so what I usually do is take the day off, put on a baggy tshirt and eat some fries and then jump right back into it the next day. I usually wake up feeling better because I said F**k it and relaxed and am re-motivated because I can see that there is still an improvement. As long as it isn't a daily thing or even too often I find it really helps to jumpstart me again :)
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I think we all suffer with this, some days "the mirror talks to me" & I think I am rocking it! Other days, who knows why but I look at my body & think why all the effort, Nothing changes! But you have to ignore the negative voice & ride the positve till that wave breaks, remember as long as you turn up another wave will be along in a minute :)

Russ
  • klmuggsy
    Options
    Sometimes you've just got to listen to your body and give it a break for an extra day or two :) Keep the calories right, just skip the exercise to let your body recover!

Yes. My husband says I need to take a break for a few days too. Lol. I have just been so excited that I have been losing ya know?
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've been here for a few months now and yes, you are in good company feeling like this. We all have 'off days' when it all seems pointless, but stick with it, you'll get through it. Your body is undergoing change, you'll need to adapt to this, but don't give up!
  • klmuggsy
    Options
    I get those days too so what I usually do is take the day off, put on a baggy tshirt and eat some fries and then jump right back into it the next day. I usually wake up feeling better because I said F**k it and relaxed and am re-motivated because I can see that there is still an improvement. As long as it isn't a daily thing or even too often I find it really helps to jumpstart me again :)

Hehe. I seriously wanted to! The idea of some sugary or a greasy food sounds SO good right about now. It's hard not just jumping right back into my old eating habits.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Having thought a bit more. I also think working your way in slowly is absolutely essential. I have seen countless people go from nothing to eating 1200 cals and spending 5 days a week in the gym, and almost all of them give up after a few weeks or months because it's too big a commitment, or too much strain on their body, or just too boring. I think it's much better to start off cleaning up your eating, keeping at your allotted calorie intake, do maybe two days of exercise a week while your body gets used to the lower cals and actually working hard. Then if you feel ok, up it to 3 days a week, etc. That way you are always pushing yourself, but within what you are capable of right now. Also, if you can't work out for a few days, it doesn't matter. I think being mentally wedded to the idea of you HAVE to work out 5 days a week is a recipe for failure, as it seems people miss one session, then feel it's a downward slope. What you are aiming for is something that is life-long sustainable.
  • emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I seem to loose more weight from my belly button up, and not my belly button down... so while I am dropping dress sizes at my waist and it's feeling fine on my back and arms... my legs are still relativly chunky... ! Trying to do more walking... but yes def have those days!!! Have those weeks!!
  • mousiclatte
    Options
    Going off refined sugar is hard on your moods - it took me about a month after I cut them out of my diet to stop wanting them, but after that it does get a lot easier and your mood will go back to normal. I’d also stop eating wheat which is processed as sugar once you eat it. You'll probably be losing weight from all over your body so it may take a while for your stomach get noticeably smaller. For exercise interval training is great and takes less time than doing cardio for an hour, will keep your metabolism high and is great for getting your body to use stored sugar/fat as energy. I got started by watching this fitness trainer’s YouTube videos about fitness and nutrition, a good one to watch is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSnkxUjWdYc&feature=related

Interval training video: - great for cutting down time at the gym!

http://youtu.be/GVxoP3Fy4TQ

If you reach a plateau a good thing to start is carbohydrate cyling or calorie cycling.

good luck :)
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Your brain wants to return to taking the path of least resistance. Most human beings naturally opt for something easy - it's just nature. Why would we purposely make things difficult on ourselves, right? But soon your brain will see that it's not "difficult" and the benefit of getting up and doing things will become worth it. You'll have your days here or there when you want to rest. Re-train your brain first :)
  • auntiekei
    auntiekei Posts: 14
    Options
    :wink: I think a lot of people feel this way
    I have been using this website for forty days now and i doing aerobics everyday and then on days i work i also go to the gym after work. There are days I just dont want to do anything but I push myself and after Im done i feel so much better.
    This website is great I have been trying to lose weight most of my life but not until i found this website did I actually lose weight consistently.
    If you would like you could make me your friend and we could do this together :flowerforyou:
    keep trying and the pounds will fly off!!!!
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yup, get those days, as has been said listen to your body, it's time for a day off the exercise. Maybe get into some comfy clothes, nice cup of tea and read a good book/magazine or whatever you do to unwind.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I sometimes think it's harder for women than men because you have lots of hormonal fluctuations that you have to deal with, on top of all the normal crap we have to deal with.

When it's going well, you feel fantastic, but there are days that you'll feel bleugh! :sick:

If only we could target fat! I'd love not to have a jelly belly and flabby moobs; the rest of me is looking fine at the moment.

The good thing is that the feeling will pass and you'll be up and atom, raring to go and be the best you can be.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Take care!
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Like someone above said, you have to ignore those negative inner voices. They will derail you...or a least try. Most times we are our own worst critic. Please don't give up, you've apparently come pretty far already...and who knows what another 2 weeks of hard work will bring! You are amazing, keep up the good work!