Avocadoes

Options
Okay, I've always heard avocadoes are good fat, plus they can make a lot of food more tasty. I'm kind of unsure what to do. They take up SOOOO many fat grams, but sometimes it really does help me stick to more nutritious food because it gives me a different taste instead of the same ol' boring stuff. So avocadoes in or out for now? I've lost 15 lbs since the week before Christmas and I want to make sure I don't self-sabotage or rationalize so be honest. Invariably though just 1/2 of one can kick me over the fat intake for the day.

Replies

• lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Okay, I've always heard avocadoes are good fat, plus they can make a lot of food more tasty. I'm kind of unsure what to do. They take up SOOOO many fat grams, but sometimes it really does help me stick to more nutritious food because it gives me a different taste instead of the same ol' boring stuff. So avocadoes in or out for now? I've lost 15 lbs since the week before Christmas and I want to make sure I don't self-sabotage or rationalize so be honest. Invariably though just 1/2 of one can kick me over the fat intake for the day.
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I think they should be in.

I really concentrate on the calories. If the amount of avocado doesnt put you over the top in calories for the day, you will still be losing weight. Just know that on avocado days, you should be looking at fish and chicken like meats so that you can get your protein with less fat.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    IN, i love them. A 1/4 a day in either my omelet, salad or snack or if I am in a hurry for lunch and i go to subway I have them put avocado on instead of mayo and oil, tastes better to me!

Moderation is key, I have to agree if you calories are good then maybe if you want the avocado have a little less or get rid of some fat somewhere else if it concerns you that much. In the meantime, keep your portions down and enjoy! :wink:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Don't even worry about the fat from avacados. It is so good for your heart. If you like them - by all means eat them!! There are so many benefits. Just count them in your calorie limit and enjoy!! YUMM:laugh:
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Thanks all! Good points! Oh...and just for the record...I weighed after I posted and lets make that 17 lbs lost!!! Woo hoo!!!!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Avocadoes are definitely IN. They are so good for you!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Nice len 17 lbs, that's awesome! Avocadoes are a good fat! I mean, don't go crazy with them, as with any type of food, you can over do it, but I mean, avocadoes are what you want, along with fish oil and most nuts (almonds are a great fat too) you are doing it right! Avocado fat (omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids) is healthy and it raises levels of HDL (the good cholesterol) so you should be fine with eating them regularly.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Hooray for Avacado....
    I could eat them with every meal.
    They are so good for you.

http://www.avocado.org/recipes/list.php?category=23
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    i absolutely love avocadoes i always put them in my salad or just cut them up and eat them by themselves and avocadoes are not bad for you.
  • melissa73
    melissa73 Posts: 368
    Options
    I ate one for lunch yesterday. It was great.. Didn't realize the calories until I logged but O Well/. l had plenty of calories from my work outl left for dinner. :laugh: I love them....
  • Soniabruja
    Options
    IN!!!
    Delicious....
    Make some guacamole, and eat them with rice-cakes....Ummm...:love:
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    IN! On a tuna melt sandwich it is the best. Also, I made a creamy chocolate dip with it once. Sounds weird, but it was really good.

I only really worry about the calories on this site. After that, I try to fruit and veggie it up!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I love avocados!!!

axNNYP2_700b.jpg
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I say IN. So amazingly good!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    two thumbs up for avocados
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,971 Member
    Options
    They have lots of monounsaturated fat..........so do a lot of foods and oils. If the calories from fat is too high try pork tenderloin. For the same portion pork has half the saturated fat and 1/5th of the total fat and they go well with apples.......their in season.:smile: