Lots of positive comments but dont feel it?

Options
I am interested in hearing if anyone else feels the same. I have lots 72lb and get lots of positive comments like..."u look great"..."ur nice and slim now" but dont feel any different, still feel as fat as i was although i know am not. Does this make sense? Is this normal?

Replies

• lauraemthomson
    lauraemthomson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    3932259.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's normal, or at least very common for your body image to lag behind the actual changes to your body. I've been in maintenance since mid September and am only now getting to the point where I can hold up an item of clothing in a store and accurately predict whether or not it will fit me without checking the size marked on the label. Throughout the time I was losing weight and for a long time after, things I knew to be my current size, intellectually, looked impossibly small.
  • lauraemthomson
    Options
    thanks for ur reply makes me feel a bit more "normal" and am the same with the clothing, picking it up and thinking it will fit, buying it and then having to take it back to the shop..
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Not to be mean but I disregard those compliments because I hear the same ones when an obese person loses 50 pounds and is still obese, someone telling me I am sooo tiny, or I dont need to lose weight or stuff like that, I just dont feel like its particular tome, that theyd say it to anyone thats lost weight so it means theyve noticed Ive lost but not that Im done
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Weight loss is just as mental/emotional as it is physical. I have received numerous comments, sometimes it makes me feel really good and other times my inner voice goes right back to the "yeah right" and I mentally (ok, sometimes verbally still) dismiss the compliment immediately. Some days I look in the mirror and think to myself "wow!" and feel so proud and am truly amazed at my transformation. Other times I look in that same mirror and see some flab or other little things to nit pick about, usually call myself fat, beat myself up a little bit more then and walk away. :embarassed:

I think my 'fat' voice so to speak will always be there. It's really hard to not be critical of yourself I find. I think for a long time most people who have been used to this, were so used to cutting themselves down, so it's hard to fight the urge to want to do it, or fight the routine of it.

I hope it gets better, for you ... and for all of us that feel this way, but no you're not alone!
  • lauraemthomson
    Options
    thanks everyone!
    3932259.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself to feel good about your accomplishments. You desreve it. :flowerforyou:
  • britexmom
    britexmom Posts: 145
    Options
    you have achieved an awesome loss already so you should feel proud of yourself :) i think that in time when you are accustomed to your new size then you will realise what everyone else can already see.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I'm really just getting started, but I'm experiencing almost exactly the opposite. I feel very different (better!), but don't see any visible change on my body. I'm sure the change is there (clothes fitting a little looser, had to punch a new hole in my belt, that kind of thing), but in the mirror? Looks like the same fat guy in the morning.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I think our brains kind of need to go through an adjustment period as well as our bodies. I kind of felt that way for awhile. But the more I move around in this body the more accepting of it I become.
  • Lorrie_73
    Lorrie_73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    What good is weight loss and living healthy if you don't think you deserve it or can enjoy it? I read a great blog recently Does the Fat Girl Ever Leave? It was about this girl who was formally overweight and struggled with her new healthy body image. Although she was fit, she still struggled with old fat girl thoughts. Her answer was Yes, eventually, the Fat Girl mentality leaves. You are not the old you. Take pics of yourself and compare them to old pics and you will see EXACTLY what everyone is complimenting you for. Enjoy your succcess! But I do think your thoughts are normal.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I am interested in hearing if anyone else feels the same. I have lots 72lb and get lots of positive comments like..."u look great"..."ur nice and slim now" but dont feel any different, still feel as fat as i was although i know am not. Does this make sense? Is this normal?

True that our mind sometimes is slow to catch up with our actual image.... Hang in there. My goodness, 72 lbs is something you should be extremely proud of! That is a major accomplishment. Even if you don't always feel it, you know your body does. Way to go girl! You rock!!
  • brenteesha
    Options
    I agree with most of the other comments... you won't see the changes as soon as other people see them. It is definitely mental and emotional, too. After I gained weight in middle school and dropped it in high school, I always felt like I was heavy... on the scale, in the mirror, whatever. Now, looking back, I can't believe how incredibly SKINNY I was! Only wish I could have enjoyed it at the time... but, lesson learned. This time I am determined to enjoy it! Don't beat yourself up about it... just try to stay positive and your body image will follow in time. (:
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I was an athlete in my younger days, then had some injuries and life changes and gained weight. It took me 10 years or so to realize that I was really fat and needed to make some changes. I was in denial. Hopefully it won't take me that long to realize that I am not anymore. Self image is always jaded in some way or another, but eventually you will look in the mirror and see a skinny, fit person.