Master Cleanse

Options
I am starting the Master Cleanse this morning. I tried 2 days ago and made it until 9 pm and then had to eat something. I thought the main problem would be hunger but the headaches were horrible. I have trouble with migraines, sinus issues, & chronic ear infections in my left ear. Half way through the day, about 3 1/2 cups of lemonade in, I started sweating, my ears, eyes, and nose began watering, and the headache began. I also had very bad pain in my left ear. I couldnt do anything but lie in the bed. The salt water flush concerns me as well. Seems like an excessive amount of sodium.

Replies

• Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    What wiki says about master cleanse

"There is no scientific evidence that the diet removes any toxins, or that it achieves anything beyond temporary weight loss. Though unlikely to be harmful over the short term it can be harmful over the long term. Short term side effects include fatigue, nausea, dizziness, and dehydration, while long term harm includes loss of muscle mass.[3]"

i know wiki isnt the source of all knowledge but its enough to put me off.

No wait, the idea of no solid food and a laxative tea was enough to put me off.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh dunno about this one... Maybe you shouldn't do it. Appears quite unhealthy. Possibly dangerous. Why try again after what already happened to you anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Cleanse

14839892.png
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying it again if you have concerns and it made you feel so ill before?
  • Angela_Freeborn
    Options
    You need to eat all 3 meals durring the day and two small snacks like apples or something, Breakfast is very importanat as you need the food in the morning and pretty much every 3 hrs to give it a jump. Eating bosts your motab.. and this is what helps you loose your weight, if you starve yourself all day your body goes into shut down mode as it will store the food you did eat thinking its going to be a while before it gets the nexts which causes weight gain. Not only this but when you eat expecailly breakfast it also gives you your energy to do your everyday things.. So mainly what im trying to say is eat! if you choose to cleanse its not really going to help you. :) Hope this is helpful
  • theresabrenner
    Options
    I did a cleanse once, same one as Beyonce and other celebs. Lemon water, tsp of syrup, cayenne pepper. Crazy mixture but didn't taste bad. I did it for 5 days, no solid foods, just that drink all day long for 5 days straight. Lost 6 pounds in one week but guess what? It is only a temporary fix, that 6 pounds was back on as soon as I started eating solid foods. It's so not worth it. Cleansing is a good thing to do every now and then, but not for days at time. I've learned that you need to cleanse every now and then to maintain health, not to lose weight. I'm just saying.......
  • susanrush
    susanrush Posts: 18
    Options
    I did a modified version and had good results but I only did it for 4 days. And I guess I didn't do it quite right because I added some vegetable juice when I was really hungry and didn't do the laxative tea because that sounds horrifying. I wouldn't do it again though. I saw if you want a cleanse, do a vegetable/green juice diet for a couple of days, especially since MC made you so sick before.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    If you got sick the first time, why are you trying it again?

Why are you trying it in the first place? It does nothing for you but deprive you of nutrients you need. If you eat whole, un-processed foods, exercise and drink lots of water your body will naturally cleanse itself. You don't need to do crazy things to cleans these imaginary toxins out of your body.

Any weight lost will be gained right back after you're done.
  • tsanford78
    Options
    I have decided not to do it. Thanks guys for all the good advice. Going to just keep on with the ecercise and eating healthy! :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying it again if you have concerns and it made you feel so ill before?

nobody likes a quitter
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have decided not to do it. Thanks guys for all the good advice. Going to just keep on with the ecercise and eating healthy! :)

^ Good decision :) Watch your calories, exercise, and be healthy...you will win in the end!
  • lionempress
    lionempress Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    In general it is always best to talk to your doctor before trying something like this, ESPECIALLY if you have pre-existing conditions.
    After having said that I've always been into natural healing and natural preventative methods. I've always wanted to do a detox, but was always scared to making the commitment.
    When I first heard about the master cleanse I thought it sounded like a crazy fad weight loss scheme (that was last year when I first heard about it). Since then, I've decided to do the master cleanse after doing a lot of research on it it does seem to make a lot of sense (the ingredients and their purpose, the fact that you are getting calories in, and the methods to help expel the build up of toxins)

Anyway I plan to drink a minimum of 12 glasses so that I know I'm getting 1200 calories or more in. Another side note, headaches and some discomfort on SOME days are normal because the toxins come into our blood stream to be released through urine, sweat etc. The toxins being released are the things causing the temporary side affects not the cleanse itself. Also fat cells store excess toxins that our body hasnt been able to expel yet so as you burn the fat you are also releasing the toxins.

I'm not telling you or anybody to do the cleanse because that is not my place. I just wanted to say to everyone that you should do research and know what something is about before you knock it totally. There are many people out there that have done the cleanse and it's worked wonders. If you do lose weight while on the cleanse, then after the cleanse go back to eating junk on a regular then of course you will gain the weight back, that's common sense.
  • fatasslosermom
    Options
    I am starting the Master Cleanse this morning. I tried 2 days ago and made it until 9 pm and then had to eat something. I thought the main problem would be hunger but the headaches were horrible. I have trouble with migraines, sinus issues, & chronic ear infections in my left ear. Half way through the day, about 3 1/2 cups of lemonade in, I started sweating, my ears, eyes, and nose began watering, and the headache began. I also had very bad pain in my left ear. I couldnt do anything but lie in the bed. The salt water flush concerns me as well. Seems like an excessive amount of sodium.

Hi! I am currently on the Master Cleanse, day 9, but have "cheated" many times. My cheats have been healthy like baked salmon and chicken. I still exercise 3-5 times a week, so I wanted to make sure that I am getting enough protein while exercising. I don't want to lose any muscle mass. I too suffer from severe headaches, but fortunately I have not experienced any so far while on the cleanse. While I was preparing for the cleanse, I took B-5 or Pantothenic Acid which is suppose to help eliminate headaches while you wean yourself from caffeine and prepare for the cleanse. It totally worked for me, plus it gave me an insane amount of energy. My house was so clean!!! I realize you said you decided to not try the cleanse again, but I thought I would share a positive experience with you. I will admit the cleanse was very hard at first, but like many things, each day gets a little easier. By the way, I have not done the salt water bath. It sounds absolutely horrible. I drink an herbal laxative tea at night and it is pretty gentle.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Hi! I am currently on the Master Cleanse, day 9, but have "cheated" many times. My cheats have been healthy like baked salmon and chicken. I still exercise 3-5 times a week, so I wanted to make sure that I am getting enough protein while exercising. I don't want to lose any muscle mass. I too suffer from severe headaches, but fortunately I have not experienced any so far while on the cleanse. While I was preparing for the cleanse, I took B-5 or Pantothenic Acid which is suppose to help eliminate headaches while you wean yourself from caffeine and prepare for the cleanse. It totally worked for me, plus it gave me an insane amount of energy. My house was so clean!!! I realize you said you decided to not try the cleanse again, but I thought I would share a positive experience with you. I will admit the cleanse was very hard at first, but like many things, each day gets a little easier. By the way, I have not done the salt water bath. It sounds absolutely horrible. I drink an herbal laxative tea at night and it is pretty gentle.

I agree. This does sound horrible.
  • ashRodrigue
    ashRodrigue Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A natural, healthy way to flush toxins out of your body is by drinking adequate amounts of water.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    This is only a "Master" at cleansing your wallet for the hard earned money you paid for it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

This is a good decision. Well done!
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options

I think the idea of there being "toxins" in your body that can or need to be "flushed" is not based on any scientific evidence at all. It is true that we've all got traces of chemicals and stuff in our bodies - particularly people who ate paint chips as a child. :laugh: But, I don't think we can "flush" them by putting things into our mouths or sweating or whatever. Our livers and kidneys do these things, so long as they're functioning regularly.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

And why are you doing this again?

Trying to take a shortcut and failing will psychologically put you even further away from your goals. Instead of doing something that is bound for failure - choose to have one small success every day (an apple instead of chips, grilled chicken instead of fried). These little successes will add up and you'll grow stronger and it will get easier every day.

Failing even a diet that's intrinsically doomed to fail just reinforces in your head that you can't do this, that you're a failure, that you don't deserve it, that you're doomed to be unhappy with your weight.

Choose the path of success. Make small and sustainable changes to your life every day.

ETA: I see you've decided against it. Yay!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

So ... why are you trying again?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I knew a lady that did a full 40 days on Master Cleanse. She lost a ton of weight right away. But then she got sick. Turns out she got breast cancer. I don't think they're related, but I won't risk it.