Any kettlebell advice?

Options
Leo247
Leo247 Posts: 20 Member
I can't lift really heavy weights in the gym so have bought some kettle bells for home. Does anyone know of any good workouts using them?

Thanks. x

Replies

• withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My kickboxing class starts out with kettlebells every time. We have a handful of the following that we use in 1:30 rounds for 15 minutes after 5 minutes of jumping rope:

Halos
    Windmills
    Swings
    Single leg deadlifts
    Goblet squats
    Sumo Squats
    Cleans/Clean and press/Push press
    Deck squats
    Good Mornings

Our instructor likes to add to the list, but there's usually 2-3 rounds of swings with at least 2 for arms, one type of squat (though usually a couple rounds), and one hamstring-focusing exercise sprinkled in for fun.

OH! Almost forgot, we usually have two different weights when we do these. The lighter of the two is used for anything that goes overhead and the heavier is for killing the legs because most of the women in my class aren't used to keeping a weight up overhead for more than a few seconds and the windmills can get tricky until you are used to them.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you are a beginner with kettlebells.

Start by learning and perfecting the kettlebell swing. There are tons of YouTube videos on this (Keira Newton has the best one-arm swing demonstration I've seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV-g4vxQCW0&feature=player_embedded), but if you have any RKC-certified instructors in your area, I highly recommend paying for a session for them to teach you how to swing properly.

Snatches are another great kettlebell exercise, but you really need to master the swing before you attempt snatches.

Turkish get-ups are a great fully-body strength exercise.

And of course you can do typical lifts like presses, cleans, rows, squats, deadlifts, etc.

If you're looking for actual workout programs, look up Geoff Neupert. He is an expert at designing kettlebell training programs for fat loss or muscle gain, whatever your goal may be.
  • Leo247
    Leo247 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for that. I'm off to you tube armed with all these terms ;-0 x