I don't look like I weigh as much as I do...

Options

Replies

• carolinenorthrup
    carolinenorthrup Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way - when I step on the scale at the doctor's office, they're always shocked. I must hide it well!

My doctor told me to lose 20lbs (based on the BMI), but if you go by body fat percentage, that would leave me with only 12% body fat - and I don't want to look like that. I'm aiming for a loss of 10lbs (leaving me with 19% body fat) despite what my doctor and the BMI tell me.

Try body fat calculators - you might not have to lose as much as you think!
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have the same "problem" which is actually a good one sometimes. Like you, my highest weight was 240. It really sneaked up on me though. I am also the same height. People think I am "skinny" at 204. I think 180 is going to be my cut-off especially if I tone up pretty nicely. Hopefully I reach it this year. "Cross my finger"
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'6" but have the same issue. In college there were 3 of us that appeared the same size and shared clothes but I always weighed quite a bit more than the other too. I find it hard to set a goal weight because of that.
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I weighed almost 400 lbs but didn't look like it. It am 5'10". Don't get me wrong, I was morbidly obese but no one ever guess I weighed as much as I did. I'm now down to 239. I still have a ways to go but don't think I'll ever be at the normal BMI.
  • GennetteD
    GennetteD Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm the same way. 5'7, current weight is 188 started at 215.
  • Dreamin_Skinny
    Options
    looks like 240 to me
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    You look about 240 when it comes to your height. Its a big number that scares you, but your height makes up for that. I am only 5 foot 6 and I looked really bad at only 200. My body also shoved it into my belly so I had a huge spare tire unfortunately. Also, you will have more muscle. Thats why I've always been able to pull off higher bodyweights. :)

Cheer up! Bigger numbers come off faster in the beginning anyway!
  • Trinketona
    Trinketona Posts: 190
    Options
    The same thing happens to me. People always guess I weigh 160 but Im really 200. Well 196 now but still close to 200 and most of them think I'm lying. Im 5' 9".
  • Wellnessbabe
    Wellnessbabe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't look like 241 (i'm being honest) That's the upside of being tall. Although I am a shorty I too hide weight well, as a result people feel they should make comments about my weight (usually the ones at work) wow u so skinny u don't eat? or you don't need to be on a diet! ... ugh i could go on but i better not it's gonna make me :explode:
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Right, I know I definitely need to lose weight, but I'm -supposed- to weigh from 140-170... that's 70-100 pounds.. doesn't really seem right lol.

Quite. If you're going from BMI charts, don't! The ideal weight for someone's body depends on all sorts of variables, and to weigh the 'right' amount for my height, I'd have to lose all muscle tone, and probably a few bones as well!

Similarly to you, at 5'8", I can quite safely and believably underestate my weight by 20-25kg for forms (obviously not medical ones, but I work in the performing arts, and they often ask height and weight). I'm built on a large scale, and for me to say I weigh 45-55lb less than I actually do is apparently entirely credible.

If it's any help, I'm aiming for around 175 on a large-build, 5'8" frame. Still well outside the BMI guidelines, but reasonable for me. I'll then reassess, but I'm guessing it'll be a matter of toning, rather than weight-loss at that point. Instead of aiming for 70-100lb, which seems unrealistic to me, judging from your pics, try starting off with 30-40lbs, and then reassess when you get there. Good luck!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    The scale does not lie that is why I tossed mine in the trash. I now go by how my clothes fit and how I feel. That # used to drive me into unhealthy obsession. Throw out the scale.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    glad to see that I am not the only one. I weigh about the same as you, pics are on my profiel, I dont know how to post them here, add me if you want to see them.

I can go to cedar point and get on that guess your weight game and they always guess like 180, which is nice cause I win every freakin time....its great soooo great.....I carry my weight well as well, but I dont like it at all.

we are blessed I guess.
  • I weigh 196 and you look waaaay better than me! I'm 5'6". It all just depends on how your body distributes your weight, I guess.
  • emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm the same... but i have large boobs and yes, i'm gonna say it...BIG BONES!! :laugh: True story...
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You definatly don't look like you weigh that much. I have always said the same thing about myself. I mean I know I am overweight, and I know I could look better, but at 5' 9". I have never really thought that I looked like I weighed between 230 and 240.

6962068767_1db3b2f104.jpg
  • SerenityGelsinger
    SerenityGelsinger Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have always been told that too. Before I had my son I had lost 30 pounds and I weighed 130 pounds. People thought I was 100 pounds and were saying that I shouldn't lose any more weight. I am only 5 feet 1 inch tall but somehow I seem to find a place to store my weight. I'm supposed to weigh (BMI says) between something like 119-130 pounds. So 130 would put me on the very top.

And I do think that you hide your weight well also, I'd never guess that's how much you weigh.

Edit: I just read another post and someone said something about bigger breasts. Maybe that's where I store it? Ugh...hate these things.
  • ataylo30
    ataylo30 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    you don't look like mid 200s to me either, i would put you on the door of 200 maybe 190 or so. That said...maybe you need to lose less than many people who weigh 240. I wouldn't give you a goal weight...maybe a goal size or an aerobic goal...like i can run this long or climb his many stairs etc.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and started out at 249. I'm down to 233 now, but have often been told I don't look that heavy. I have always been a "big" girl, stocky and muscular, so I think I can carry it off a little bit better. I look at pictures of myself against someone smaller, and wow, I look like a moose. I still have about 63 lbs to go before I'm where I feel I need to be.
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I too am 5' 10" and I weigh in around 205 and I HATE being over 200. I get that same thing all the time "You don't look that big at all!!" My ideal is 175 and that will still be a few over the "Recommended Guidelines" (which I think are a load of crap anyway!!!) Anyway, when I first lost a ton of weight, I weighed in at 265 and lost down to 158. Since then (8 years ago) I have put half that back on:( I know I dont want to be 158 again as it was WAY too hard to maintain. But I think 175 would be a good, healthy number for me. I am active and eat well a lot of the time, but I have a long way to go! Go to where you feel healthy and a weight that you feel you can maintain with minimal struggle. Lets face it, as overweight people its always going to be a struggle, but when you feel good about yourself, its less of a struggle:) Dont get too down on yourself!!! You're obviously on the right track so keep up the good work!!!
  • mcarden86
    mcarden86 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body type. I weigh close to 200 at 5'1", and even my doctor thinks I don't look like it. I'm just well proportioned :)