NSV 1st Half Marathon

Options
TexasGirl92
TexasGirl92 Posts: 76 Member
Well this past weekend a friend and I both completed our fist Half Marathon. I just started running in April of 2011 because my sister was trying to convince me to do a full Marathon with her. I promised I would try a 5K but basically told her "don't hold you breath" on the marathon. Did the C25K program and after running my first 5K race I was hooked on running. I honestly thought I would stick with 5Ks and nothing else. Then near the end of last year I started to think I might attempt a 10K in 2012 (my running buddy was game) I was not finding any race that weren't a long drive away but started seeing lots of Half marathons around. We decided to go for it. I was tough but we both finished and managed to finish in just under our goal of 2:45 (2:43:40.0). So now I'm trying to decide if a full marathon is in my future. My sister wanting me to do one was what started the journey to begin with so I figured taking it full circle might be good (or maybe I've just lost it not sure yet) Any way so for all of you new runner beginning C25K and thinking that those long runs aren't for you well you never know :wink:

Replies

• Eric182
    Eric182 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are the perfect person that i want to talk to...I myself have decided to do a 1/2 marathon in my homestate of RI with my bestfriend but this will be my very frist time running ever ... the most amount of running i have ever done was from the couch to the fridge LOL .... but i am being focused on getting this done ... There is a 5k that is comming up in May that i would like to do. I think im more concerned with can i actually do this i started walking 3mins then running 3 mins for 40 Mins at my gym do u have any advice that u think might help me out...

A Frist time Runner (HOPEFULLY) lol,
    Eric~
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I was tough but we both finished and managed to finish in just under our goal of 2:45 (2:43:40.0).

:flowerforyou: Nicely done!
    I don't have a goal time for when I do my first 1/2 marathon - I just want to finish and NOT throw up on my shoes!:laugh:
  • nickyeatrunread
    nickyeatrunread Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have had almost the exact same experience with running. I did C25K and then a year and a half ish later completed my first half marathon in 2:43 as well and am now throwing around the idea of a full in October.

Congratulations on your first half--I cried when I finished mine. I never thought I'd be a runner.
  • daryll77
    daryll77 Posts: 29
    Options
    I was tough but we both finished and managed to finish in just under our goal of 2:45 (2:43:40.0).

:flowerforyou: Nicely done!
    I don't have a goal time for when I do my first 1/2 marathon - I just want to finish and NOT throw up on my shoes!:laugh:

Me too!
  • TexasGirl92
    Options
    You are the perfect person that i want to talk to...I myself have decided to do a 1/2 marathon in my homestate of RI with my bestfriend but this will be my very frist time running ever ... the most amount of running i have ever done was from the couch to the fridge LOL .... but i am being focused on getting this done ... There is a 5k that is comming up in May that i would like to do. I think im more concerned with can i actually do this i started walking 3mins then running 3 mins for 40 Mins at my gym do u have any advice that u think might help me out...

A Frist time Runner (HOPEFULLY) lol,
    Eric~

Eric I highly recommend the Couch to 5K program. I know at fist running for 60 seconds might seem silly if you are doing more but easing into it really works.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Also when we started training for the half marathon we used the Galloway method where you basically alternate between walking and running intervals throughout the entire run. My sister who has been running since junior high told me about it. My friend and I did a 4:2 we ran for four minutes then walked for 2 minutes. I turns out that even though my sister told me about it she had never used it herself. After I was part way through my training she started using it to for a marathon she was training for (she did 4:1). We did not use his exact training schedule. Actually the most we ran before the half was 10 miles but we still finished and made our goal so it worked for us.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html

On my short training days I used a 3:1 interval and have actually improved my 5k from when I use to run straight trough. I am able to run a much faster overall pace using the method than before when I was determined to run the entire time. I know some hard core runners turn their nose up at this method but it works for me my times are improving and I'm sticking with it.
  • TexasGirl92
    Options
    I have had almost the exact same experience with running. I did C25K and then a year and a half ish later completed my first half marathon in 2:43 as well and am now throwing around the idea of a full in October.

Congratulations on your first half--I cried when I finished mine. I never thought I'd be a runner.

Yeah I'm still kicking around the idea of a full. I found one in November and I just need to decide. I really enjoyed the half and think I will do one again. I think I just want to do the marathon just to check it off as done but I don't see myself have the time to train for than on of those. The half training didn't take up as much time as I thought it would I guess because the longest run we did pre race day was 10 miles.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My first half is in VA Beach in 9 days! I did my last long run this Sunday...11.2 in 2:07:46. I have a goal of 2:45 as well. And yeah..the not throwing up thing is a given :)
  • TexasGirl92
    Options
    My first half is in VA Beach in 9 days! I did my last long run this Sunday...11.2 in 2:07:46. I have a goal of 2:45 as well. And yeah..the not throwing up thing is a given :)

Good luck on you half. Just stick with your pace and don't get carried away in the beginning. It was a great experience for me hope yours is the same :)
  • mszebra
    mszebra Posts: 94
    Options
    Congrats!!! My first 1/2 was in October 2010- I finished in 2:35. I had knee surgery this past summer, and am back on track- doing my second 1/2 this weekend!
  • NiekaM
    NiekaM Posts: 5
    Options
    You might want to try another Half Marathon before going straight into a Full. I ran 5 Half Marathons in 2011, and am about to do my first of 2012 this month. I have never done a Full. I don't have the desire (or time to train) to. It is a HUGE difference! Instead, I have decided to work on my Half times, and my new finish goal is 1:40. the best i ever did so far is 1:45. Just as fun to have completion goals that are not going overboard!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I completed my first half 2 weeks ago. I'm also undecided about a full, i think that may be a bit much for me. Congrat's on a great finish time as well! 2:43 is a time to be proud of for sure! (Mine was 3:11 and I was thrilled with that). Great job!
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    I have completed a couple of halfs and am a running junkie (started last Feb.) One thing I will say is train for it. I am slowly building up my distances (hit 17 miles Saturday) and every mile over 13.1 feels like a LOT more than 1 mile the first time. Plan slowly, build slowly and be smart about it - i.e., do 2 -3 weeks of increasing distance followed by a couple of weeks of rest where you are only doing maybe 75% of max distance accomplished. Repeat.
    Make sure you have a hydration pack to stay hydrated when running outdoors. And find fuel you can consume while running. I use Gu Energy Gels but they are not for everyone.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!