Eczema?! Please help!

Options

Replies

• LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Firstly, it's not a disease, it's just a skin condition :)

Edit to add more

I have suffered from really severe eczema since I was around 4 years old. I was 20 when my dermatologist finally gave me a patch test to determine if I was allergic to anything. She said I'm allergic to Parabens Mix, Fragrance Mix II, Balsam of Peru and Nickel. There's so many different compounds in these mixes that I have to carry a card around with me, with all the different names and chemicals etc, for when I buy shampoos and just about everything else!
    She also told me that I don't justhave atopic eczema, as I had always believed, but I have chronic hand eczema (I do get it all over my body too), severe atopic eczema, contact allergic dermatitis and Pomphylox. She also took me off my steroid creams and gave me a non-steroidal ointment.

I have tried every single thing going over the last 20 years and nothing has ever worked. It's incurable because they don't know what causes it, so they can't counteract it. Many people have theories and have suggested all kinds of treatments, including natural remedies, but I have never found anything to work. I use my doctor's prescribed moisturiser - I can't use vaseline, E45, Sudocrem etc because of my allergies - and if my itch gets really painful, I keep it in the fridge as it's soothing. I can only use one type of laundry detergent and I stay away from my known allerens and irritants, such as citric fruit juices, latex, dust, etc.

Please feel free to add me and we can share our experiences :)

Edit again! - When I was around 7-8 years old, my dermatologist suggested I cut out dairy - it didn't make a difference to me. I guess we just have to remember that every single person is different. What works for one might not work for another. I strongly suggest you have allergy testing done though, it makes it easier (still really difficult though!)
  • PeachKitty
    Options
    First, get a proper diagnosis. There's various skin conditions out there, some worse than others.

I've had eczema for most of my life, and it's such a tetchy condition. Sometimes I'll randomly clear up for no reason at all, and other times I can use all the lotions and potions I want, and it won't help me at all. I've the vague feeling that stress causes mine to flare up, a holiday away from work saw my skin becoming extremely clear, despite the incredibly bad diet I had while I was away.

Someone else mentioned using soap with honey and oats in. I've found that it's helped my skin a lot, it's softer and calmer than it's been for a long time. I even recommended it to a friend who suffers the opposite problem of me, she has very oily skin that's prone to spots, and it even helped clear her face up.

Moisturising wise, Hemp Body Butter is very expensive, but really helps. I also use Cocoa Butter Cream, which is cheaper and lasts for ages. You really need to experiment to see what works best for you.

Green tea also helps me a lot, if I ever have a severe break out I drink the tea like it's going out of fashion, and it tends to calm my skin down a fair bit. It's also good for you, boots metabolism, and has various other health benefits.
  • Adeolulu
    Adeolulu Posts: 5
    Options
    My 6 year old sister has terrible eczema. I make her an all natural whipped body butter consisting of natural unrefined Shea butter, coconut oil, Jamaican black castor oil and olive oil.....sometimes tea tree oil depending on the batch and her severity at the time.
    I suggest researching all these ingredients and others and customizing a batch for your skin and symptoms. Mix it all with a hand mixer and you have a creamy, thick body butter.

Also short showers with cooler water as opposed to hot steamy showers or baths.

Hope this helps!
  • MrsTWard
    MrsTWard Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    shea butter... works awesome mix with some coconut oil.. and what your citric acids....orange juices... ketchup will get you and get the water in..

I agree!! Shea Butter works wonders. My neice & newphew has it and it really helps.
  • TexasRaised89
    TexasRaised89 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    For at home treatment, well something to help it.... Athletes foot spray works great and hydrocortisone cream. Go to the doctor and if they deem it Eczema ask for Elidel....that cream works miracles!!!!! I had eczema really bad growing up.
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't eat fish, but I have psoriasis and I take fish oil and it's helped
  • jaimebarth
    Options
    Agree completely! You don't HAVE to do any medicine you don't want to. BUT you need to know what it is because if you start to treat it yourself you can easily make it WAY worse. Good luck!
  • 72MonteCarla
    72MonteCarla Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have an appointment with a dermatologist tomorrow morning. Maybe they can diagnose it, but I know the "treatment" will be bulls*^t. Most doctors know little to nothing about nutrition. They treat symptoms, not problems. They make as.much money from kickbacks from drug companies as they do from their patients. I have been trying to retrace every step since this began last week. I can up with two changes that may have triggered an allergic reaction: 1) I switched laundry detergent. 2) I bought a new salad blend (Organic Biologique Herb Salad Blend). I did a patch test on my skin with the detergent and I have seen nothing. So maybe it's something in the salad? A third option might be a change in the type or concentration of chemicals in the pool, which I can't track. The most notable thing is that it is completely bilateral. It is in the exact same places on both sides of my body, which makes me think "contact dermatitis", likely from the laundry detergent.Anyway, mostly I am just rambling my thoughts here. I am a scientist, and I can't help but employ deduction to find the solution... Trips to the doctor always prove frustrating for me because they spend more time writing the prescriptions than they do diagnosing the ROOT of the problem. I should mention that I also had allergy patch testing done recently which determined that I am not allergic to trees, pollen, weed, dust, mold, etc... No food allergy testing was done. I will buy the old detergent tonight and wash a load of clothes to wear tomorrow, and I will skip lunch today (the salad).
  • Embell0830
    Embell0830 Posts: 105
    Options
    Pretty much like everyone else said, see a doctor first. A couple of my coworkers use this stuff called black soap that they get at a farmers market for their kids with eczema. They say it really helps and makes the skin soft. It's an organic all natural product.
  • AnnaCVeach
    AnnaCVeach Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used to get eczema only during the winter but I've been battling it on my legs for well over a year now. And I just started using Aveeno Eczema Therapy and overnight it was greatly diminished!!! However, I agree with the other posters to get it looked at by your doctor and you DON'T have to take any medications they offer up. It's your decision. I hope you find the answers you are seeking.
  • gsarro
    gsarro Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from eczema for a number of years now. It first started on my breast and than went away only to pop up on my ankle. I scratched it so bad I took skin out and left an open sore. I went to a dermatologist and received some cream and another cream to help with the itching. The cream he gave me has helped immensely with making it go away. However, it seems to come back when I am stressed or sick. I haven't been able to completely get rid of but I have been able to get the redness down. It still isn't the most attractive spot on my leg. My diet really doesn't seem to be a factor on the breakouts.

You should go to a dr and see what he can give you. The amount of cream I use is less than a small nail full. They want you to use it sparingly.

Hope this helps one sufferer to another.
  • rjbrowne
    rjbrowne Posts: 28
    Options
    I would definitely get it diagnosed. My kids get eczema patches. If we are consistent with the cetaphil cream(the one in the tub) it goes away. We just have to use it frequently.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    African black soap (found on Amazon/ebay/natural health food stores?).

It's worked wonders for me!

Also 100% Shea Butter. They also sell shea butter soap on Amazon that some reviewers have claimed helped their eczema, but I have not tried it yet.
  • LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The doctors' patch test works completely differently to the way you do it at home. They put a concentrated spot of something on your back and cover it. You have to leave it for around 3 days and then they measure the size, shape and colour of the reaction you have to it... Uncomfortable and you can't shower and you feel like a robot! :)

EDIT - I didn't finish your response - sorry! I believe that I'm allergic to other things that didn't come up in the patch test, too... My dermatologist said not to worry about foods though so I don't know if I'm allergic to a food source.
  • jrose74
    jrose74 Posts: 27
    Options
    This is coming from someone that suffers from psoriasis my whole life.......There are several natural healing books that deal with eczema and psoriais that I have read over the years. One in particular states that there are several trigger foods that causes inflamation of both skin conditions. Tomatoes and tomatoe based anything is extremely toxic for ppl who suffer from this, along with black pepper and any white starches.
    I am one that has every treatment in the world (including natural ones) I have decided after suffering for years and now with having psoriatic arthritis from having psoriasis for years I would highly recommend seeking medical advice for the Dx and then make your determination about what Tx would be best for you. Unfortunately there is NO natural healing for myself at this point, not if I want to keep my ability to move. Good Luck on finding out what works.
  • jcnuebel
    jcnuebel Posts: 19
    Options
    My doctor suggested taking a soaking bath with a quarter cup of olive oil. It worked well. I wish they had a lavender smelling olive oil though...LOL. Soaking in olive oil just made me think of supper. It makes your tub slippery too. After the soak, pat dry and apply your moisturizer right away. The doctor recommended Cere Ve, but I found Cetaphil works best for me. It is no fun. The bilateralness of it makes me think it is systemic, not from contact dermatitis, but hey...I'm not a doctor. Good luck at the appointment.
  • AgnesMangles
    AgnesMangles Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor to have it diagnosed, but you may not have to use the steroid cream they may prescribe. I have eczema on my hands and face and Cetaphil cream really makes an outbreak go down. You have to use it every time you get the area wet until the eczema heals, but it works wonders. Just be sure to by the cream in the jar, not the moisturizer in the bottle.
  • 72MonteCarla
    72MonteCarla Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I found a dermatologist that would see me today. I was told that it is contact dermatitis. "Use a steroidal cream to clear it up, and an over-the-counter cream that I just happen to have a whole pad of coupons for..." Blah, blah, blah. Treat the symptom... Just as I knew would happen. Western medicine is so screwed up. I explained my concerns with steroidal medications. She insisted that I trust her. After all, she uses the same steroidal ointment, and she is pregnant. This was supposed to make trust her? It just made me think she is nuts. I'm supposed to go back in a week. If it isn't cleared up, then we'll do patch testing. But if it is cleared up, then we just ignore that it ever happened? Pretty much. That was that. No time for discussion, time to make $ treating the next person's symptoms... If I didn't have to take a half day off work for every appointment, I would shop around for a better doctor, but I have to work so I can keep getting this insurance to pay the ****ty doctors, and to get my paycheck so I can pay the ****ty doctors the chunk that isn't covered by insurance. Grrrrrrrr.....
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I found a dermatologist that would see me today. I was told that it is contact dermatitis. "Use a steroidal cream to clear it up, and an over-the-counter cream that I just happen to have a whole pad of coupons for..." Blah, blah, blah. Treat the symptom... Just as I knew would happen. Western medicine is so screwed up. I explained my concerns with steroidal medications. She insisted that I trust her. After all, she uses the same steroidal ointment, and she is pregnant. This was supposed to make trust her? It just made me think she is nuts. I'm supposed to go back in a week. If it isn't cleared up, then we'll do patch testing. But if it is cleared up, then we just ignore that it ever happened? Pretty much. That was that. No time for discussion, time to make $ treating the next person's symptoms... If I didn't have to take a half day off work for every appointment, I would shop around for a better doctor, but I have to work so I can keep getting this insurance to pay the ****ty doctors, and to get my paycheck so I can pay the ****ty doctors the chunk that isn't covered by insurance. Grrrrrrrr.....

My doctor did warn me that the steroid creme would thin out the skin where you are using it. Need to be very careful. I decided against it. Still think you should try my suggestion early in the thread before you consider a prescription. After a few weeks of using the Raileigh salve, I rarely have to use it anymore, and my hands were a total mess...basically open sores because of having to wash during the day so much. Very painful. They cleared right up.
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    I have had eczema in small patches all my life but it never bothered me until 2006. That year, my skin exploded. I got it all over my body. I looked like a monster. It was horrifying. I went to several doctors and tried everything. Finally, an esthetician told me to request a prescription of triamcinolone. I did, and there was an immediate improvement. By a week, it was gone. I am the same as you, I had no desire to be on steriods the rest of my life, so I sought a more natural remedy. What I finally found is to use two things at the same time. First put Pevonia's Dry Skin Lotion on the area, and then the basic original Eucerin over that. I now use my prescription like maybe four times a year or so. You might have to do a steriod for a short period of time just to get it under control initially.

Also, I finally figured out what was triggering mine, it was my shampoo.

I hope you get relief soon! It is absolutely awful, I feel for you! Saying a prayer for you!