Is Green Tea an acquired taste?

Options

Replies

• khbutterfly
    khbutterfly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love green tea - I have 3 cups of tea a day at work. TAZO zen is my favorite green - you can find at Target. I have tried other brands and they are gross, so I think the brand is key. Also STASH pomegrante raspberry green tea is really good too - I think that's at Target as well.

I think it's an aquired taste, but once you start to like it you'll be hooked. :)
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I used to have an iced tea pot that I added four green tea bags and two or three fruit flavored tea bags. It helped a lot, but I don't normally care for straight green tea. Try not steeping it as long.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    I love green tea - I have 3 cups of tea a day at work. TAZO zen is my favorite green - you can find at Target. I have tried other brands and they are gross, so I think the brand is key. Also STASH pomegrante raspberry green tea is really good too - I think that's at Target as well.

I think it's an aquired taste, but once you start to like it you'll be hooked. :)

This is the exact green tea that I usually drink. It's minty. If I don't have this, sometimes I use a regular green tea bag and a mint one together. It doesn't have to be plain old flavored green tea to get the benefits of it. Just watch what other things that you add, like sweeteners.
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I like Bigelow Green Tea with Pomegranate and a small packet of Splenda. I've tried others and they seem to make me thirstier after I drink them.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I love hot tea especially the jasmine green tea. I drink about 2 coffee pots a day without adding any sugar/honey. I don't know if it's an acquired taste, but I'm addicted.
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The only green tea that I've tried that I really enjoy is the Yogi Muscle Recovery. Other than that, I really don't like green tea. I think it's one of those things that you also need to buy a better quality. I'm forcing myself to drink the cheapo store brand box I bought. Only good if I sweeten it up with some Pure Via and drink it cold.
  • stacyll
    stacyll Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i think yes it's an acquired taste, not unlike red wine or kombucha. either you like it or you don't. the good thing with green tea is there are lots of flavors out there and you can do hot or cold, hot is better and of course without sugar/sweeteners is better. i love green tea. i probably love it more because i know the health benefits and plain tea is zero calories and break from plain water. keep searching for a flavor you like, try adding lemon but at the end of the day you may decide to consume it because it's healthy and good for you. i also agree about buying good quality but i've bought the generic whole foods one with pomergrante or even lipton varieties and been happy with the taste of those too.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I love green tea with one packet of splenda. Try it that way. (I only like it hot, cold is not great to me)
  • michelleion
    michelleion Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I get a cranberry or pomegranate flavored Green Tea (Twinings & Yogi make them I believe). I couldn't choke down straight green tea if you paid me handsomely! LOL

I was just going to mention the pomegranate one from Twinings, it's really nice!
  • geoginny
    geoginny Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Because it's there? (Kidding!) Green tea has all kinds of amazing benefits: kills cancer cells, fights heart disease, helps in lowering cholesterol and burning fat, aids in prevention of diabetes and stroke. Now just if I could learn to like it.
  • CW101
    CW101 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love green tea but I think it's an acquired taste. It took me a while to go from liking it to loving it. I prefer Tetley's green tea to Lipton's.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I add a slice of fresh ginger to the water as I heat it or with the bag for a milder flavor. Pull the ginger out with the tea bag. A squeeze of lime juice & a drop of honey top it off for me. (Just a side note, lots of people over-steep their tea, which makes it bitter. I never let a green bag go more than 2 minutes for a cup. IMO)
  • geoginny
    geoginny Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your wonderful ideas! It sounds like there are more palatable brands of green tea than the Costco brand (and of course it comes in a box with qty 100!). I can't wait to search for different brands and add fruity stuff as well. Maybe I can do this after all.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Green tea is the bees knees
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i think everyone would love green tea if it is prepared PROPERLY!
    too many people dunk it in boiling water which brings out the bitter tannins! and then they let it sit for 20 minutes in their cup! insane!

try steeping it in water that has not yet boiled but is very hot for *ONE MINUTE* - two at most!
    it should taste light and sweet when prepared that way, and is extremely refreshing when prepared right!
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I, personally, don't believe in 'acquired tastes'. That implies that you just keep trying it until you like it. You either like something or you don't and there's no reason to eat/drink something you don't like. Sure, tastes change as we grow but don't force yourself to ingest something that you don't enjoy. Don't sweat the trivial stuff.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Try another kind.

White tea.

A mix of black and green.

TEAS are like the colors of the rainbow or a snowflake...no two are alike.

I prefer whole leaf teas for maximum health benefits.
  • Yetta729
    Yetta729 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like Lipton's green tea with the different flavors. I get a different one each week.
    I make a big pot with regular green tea and the fruity flavors mixed. Don't let steep more than 2 minutes.
    Then I let it cool down and drink it lukewarm. That's the only way I can drink it without adding anything to sweeten it.
    I drink about 8cups per day ...
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Since only a large amount of green tea will do good ...I bought me The Green TEA EXTRACT Peach flavour . Just a dropfull into a glass of ice cold water and you have a refreshing drink ...or you can do it Hot like usual.
    I would just add it to my bottle of water :)

PURE INVENTIONS make it ..I bought it on Amazon.
  • erintheinspiration
    erintheinspiration Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Kirkland green tea with matcha from Amazon. My favorite so far.

Yes, I'd say it's an acquired taste.

^^^ YES!!! This is the best Green Tea by far!! I put a little creamer and a splenda in mine and LOVE it!! W/ the creamer it ends up being about 15 calories a mug... totally worth it! :)