The Lunch-Break Workout

Options
I saw this article on Yahoo this morning and just thought I'd share. I sometimes workout on my lunch and am always in need of some good ideas!!

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/healthieryou/lunch-break-workout

Slipping a workout into your lunch hour is a great idea in theory—no more battles with your alarm clock over early A.M. jogs versus extra sleep, or trying to muster up the energy after a long day at the office to head for the gym instead of the cozy couch. But in reality, it’s hard to escape the office, get to the gym, work up a decent sweat, shower, hightail it back to your desk, and, oh yeah, eat in 60 minutes. That’s where SELF comes in. We worked with star trainer Larysa DiDio (her client list includes Olympic old medal gymnast Nastia Liukin) to design three cardio workouts that burn mega calories in 20 minutes or less, two of which don’t even require a gym! Slip one into your lunch break, then get your eat on—and save your off hours for other fun stuff.

Workout 1: Box away the bulge
Do each of the following moves for 1 minute:
Side Kick Bring right knee to chest, then kick leg out to right, foot flexed, toe pointing inward, with power; return to standing. Repeat with left leg. Continue, quickly alternating sides.
Jab-Cross Plant right foot forward (or left forward, if you’re a lefty); punch forward (jab) with right arm, then punch across body (cross) with left arm. Repeat.
Jump Rope Jump 1 inch off ground, landing softly on balls of feet. (No hope with a rope? Fake it!)
Back Kick Lift right knee toward chest, then drive leg behind you as you bend forward and punch left arm forward. Lower leg and repeat on other side. Keep on kickin’ with power.
Upper Cut Stand with feet hip-width apart; bring right arm around, clockwise in semicircle, as if punching someone under the chin. Repeat on left. Come out swinging!
Rest for 2 minutes.
Repeat the sequence twice.
TOTAL: 19 minutes

Workout 2: Jump off the jiggle
Do each of the following moves for the time indicated:
High Knee Jog in place, chest lifted, bringing knees up, up, up! (30 seconds)
Box Jump Using tape, create a cross to make four 1-foot-square boxes. Hop box to box (with feet together), clockwise, fast! (30 seconds)
Butt Kick Jog in place, kicking heels up to tush. (30 seconds)
Box Jump Jump counterclockwise super speedily. (30 seconds)
Burpee Leap up (arms raised), crouch down, jump to plank, spring back to crouch. Keep it up! (1 minute)
Jump Tap Stand near a wall and jump up to tap hands ona spot 1 foot above your reach. (1 minute)
Mountain Climber Assume plank position, then “climb” the floor. (1 minute)
Rest for 2 minutes.
Repeat the sequence twice.
TOTAL: 19 minutes

Workout 3: Hike it off
Set the treadmill at 3.6 mph (brisk walk), and toggle between inclines to simulate hills.
Start on ground level.
Minutes Incline
2 0
Move to hills
Minutes Incline
1 4
3 8
2 12
1 3
2 10
1 12
4 7
2 12
2 6
TOTAL 20 minutes

Replies

• raerox25
    raerox25 Posts: 3
    Options
    These are great workouts- similar to what I did in Boot Camp and Kwando. You will definitely burn some calories and have fun doing it.