Just started, not losing anything please help!

Options
Hi everyone. I have been working out for a little over a week, and using MFP for only 4 days. I've been working out for 60 minutes every other day doing Zumba or a Biggest Loser workout DVD, and on the days in between I am doing light cardio like bicycling for 20 minutes, or walking for 30 minutes, as well as weight training every other day. I am also eating really well (at least I think so) and I feel a lot better, but I havent lost anything. In fact, I gained almost 1lb this week. Is it possible to gain muscle that quickly? I am an avid water drinker, so that's not my problem. Im wondering if its normal to not lose anything for a while, and then once the body is adjusted I will start losing, or maybe im eating too much? I have about 120lbs to lose, and MFP recommended around 2200 calories per day. I backed it down to 2000, leaving me with a 800 calorie deficit before I even work out. Im burning about 500-700 calories on my high intensity days, and about 150-300 on my low intensity days. Im not eating back my calories either. Can someone please give me some tips, Im new at this, and very committed, I just want to make sure Im doing the right things.

Thanks!

Replies

• Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    I would think you need to eat about what mfp says (2200), not eating back the extra exercise calories. It still boggles my mind that eating too little causes you not to lose weight. I'm thinking about taking someone else's advice to keep track of my measurements and not rely so much on the scale because my scale has me not losing weight for the last two weeks even though I have about 60 pounds to lose so it should be coming off easily - but I've really increased my activity levels so I think my body is in shock and holding onto the weight. I'm going to take my measurements today and see if they have changed. You may want to actually take a couple of days a week off from exercise to let your body recover. Good luck!
  • mickyjd
    mickyjd Posts: 97
    Options
    If you have just started to exercise, your body will retain water to protect your muscles - this might happen for 2-3 weeks. Once your body gets used to the exercise, you will see the weight drop off - with a balanced calorie controlled diet.

Just keep up the good work.
  • MrsHutcho9988
    Options
    Thanks guys, I plan on sticking too it for sure!
  • awilde4
    awilde4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I noticed that for about the first month the scale was pretty stubborn. I second the vote for watch your measurements. I think you will be pleasantly surprised there after the first month or 6 weeks.
  • ThomJosh
    ThomJosh Posts: 1
    Options
    Mrs. Hutch - for 5 weeks I had been watching what I ate, going to the gym 3x a week and that scale wouldn't budge!! However, I have to tell you that since I started using MFP last week, I've lost 3 pounds. The big difference? I am actually seeing what I am eating and watching the calorie intake to make sure I'm under or at the amount for each day. If you are tracking all of the food you eat, and you keep up with the exercise, you will begin to see results! Don't starve yourself and go way under on calories for the day because your body can go into "starvation" mode and you won't lose any weight. Hang in there - we're all in this together!
  • KristieLynn007
    Options
    I don't know about you , but I am impatient. LOL I have been exercising for about 3 weeks straight and joined MFP last week. I have lost about 2 lbs since then. Give it a week or two and I can pretty much guarentee you will drop a lb or two!!!! I think you are probably gaining some muscle. I have alternated....with using weights but i do not do it every single day or i limit the amount of weights that i do use(only 3 lb) Sometiems i walk on the treaadmill, go for walks outside or even do my dvd's. I just purchased more through amazon.com b/c i dont want to get bored doing the same ole stuff etc. Stick with it....you will lose but as i said it might take another week or so.....try to be patinet.....belive me i know it is hard....it feels like you should lose more quickly b/c of the effort you are putting in....i get it. :)
  • MrsHutcho9988
    Options
    I recorded my initial measurements on Monday, so I will keep track of it. It just gets discouraging starting out and feeling so good only to get on a scale and see you gained weight :sad: lol But I am going to stick with it because it makes me feel really good. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Time and patience, girl! Few people have a noticeable change in the first week. Just keep at it :)
  • MrsHutcho9988
    Options
    BTW my diary is public so if anyone wants to look at it feel free and give me some pointers. To me, I feel like Im eating pretty well, but im new to this. Thanks to everyone for responding and encouraging me, I've got a lot of weight to lose, and its so helpful to know that all of us are on the same ride.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    So you're netting 1300 calories on your high intensity days? I suspect you are eating below your BMR, which is going to slow down your metabolism and any weight loss. Either eat back your calories or set a higher daily goal.
    Hi everyone. I have been working out for a little over a week, and using MFP for only 4 days. I've been working out for 60 minutes every other day doing Zumba or a Biggest Loser workout DVD, and on the days in between I am doing light cardio like bicycling for 20 minutes, or walking for 30 minutes, as well as weight training every other day. I am also eating really well (at least I think so) and I feel a lot better, but I havent lost anything. In fact, I gained almost 1lb this week. Is it possible to gain muscle that quickly? I am an avid water drinker, so that's not my problem. Im wondering if its normal to not lose anything for a while, and then once the body is adjusted I will start losing, or maybe im eating too much? I have about 120lbs to lose, and MFP recommended around 2200 calories per day. I backed it down to 2000, leaving me with a 800 calorie deficit before I even work out. Im burning about 500-700 calories on my high intensity days, and about 150-300 on my low intensity days. Im not eating back my calories either. Can someone please give me some tips, Im new at this, and very committed, I just want to make sure Im doing the right things.

Thanks!