Today is really hard...

Options
The last couple of days I haven't been as health concious as I'd like, but I have been working out harder and i'm still not seeing many results overall since the beginning of my healthy body/healthy mind journey. :frown:

Last night I watched the season finale of "16 & pregnant" on MTV which was a bad idea on my part because it was a super sad episode and in the last 2 months I miscarried my miracle baby at 6 weeks and my sister miscarried her son at 22 weeks. So needless to say it sucked and having my man off in Afghan isn't helping, and I was bawling. BUT instead of doing some yoga to calm me down I reverted back to old habits and er.. induldged in some peanut butter cookies. :grumble:

Although I would like to blame MTV and their stupid TV programs that suck you in no matter how rediculous the subjects are, I can't because they're my issues that I have to deal with personally and the show just brought to surface everything from deployment to baby issues that i've been burrying.

I really really really don't want to stay off the wagon, because exercising and eating healthier was my way of mentally coping, so I'm trying to get back on that and quickly today. So even though today sucks and I just want to crawl into my bed and polish off the rest of the cookies and take a 24hr nap curled up in my man's cammie blouse(camo work shirt for those nonmilitary folk.. he's a marine), I'm not going to.

Instead, I'd like to hear from you guys and gals what exercise or health food makes you happy, because I deffinately need to cheer myself up today and pronto.

--Kat

Replies

• April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    When I feel like I need something sweet I always keep Skinny Cow Ice Cream products in the freezer. Maybe since you know when you are depressed you tend to eat, you can get healthy treats in the house and no bad ones that way you dont have a choice.
  • beckythebunny122
    beckythebunny122 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've always loved how I felt after dance (usually ballet) or yoga. Especially if they are hard classes, because the harder they are for me, then the more I concentrate on doing it and the less I let other things dwell in my mind.

Feel better! You are in our thoughts!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    A fast walk or jog always cheers me right up afterwards. It releases those feel good endorphins and makes you happy. :smile: And when your done you'll feel so great you won't want those cookies.

Hope this helps.
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,816 Member
    Options
    When I'm down, I try to focus on doing things that make me feel good that don't really have anything to do with exercise or food. I'll sit in the sun and read a few pages of a book. I'll listen to my favorite CD too loudly on my stereo. I'll take a shower, put on my most comfy clothes, and watch my favorite movie.

If I want to do something that focuses on exercise or food, I'll take a walk in the sunshine instead of sitting in it with a book. Or I'll drink a tall glass of ice tea while sitting in the sun. Or I'll dance to my favorite CD (looking like a fool in my own living room!) Or I'll munch on grapes (a healthy comfort food for me).

But, by and large, when I'm feeling badly or sad, I try to stay away from food and think about the other pleasures I get in life and go do one of those things.

I'm so sorry to hear about the stress you are going through. Take care of yourself, and I wish all the best for your husband as well.
  • darthkatalyst
    Options
    I've always loved how I felt after dance (usually ballet) or yoga. Especially if they are hard classes, because the harder they are for me, then the more I concentrate on doing it and the less I let other things dwell in my mind.

Feel better! You are in our thoughts!

Thank you! :heart:
    Yeah I love love love ballet.. I was actually on pre-pointe until my ankles got so messed up they swelled every night twice their normal size :grumble:
    But, I'm thinking about starting to go again, and maybe just have one-on-one appointments with an instructor. Since, yoga has been my best friend actually. I think I might do a little of both today just on my own, I totally forgot about ballet for today until you mentioned it. :smile:
  • n8tveca
    n8tveca Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I feel like I need something sweet I always keep Skinny Cow Ice Cream products in the freezer. Maybe since you know when you are depressed you tend to eat, you can get healthy treats in the house and no bad ones that way you dont have a choice.

Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches are a must in my freezer. If I have cookies or other things in my house I cannot stop myself, so I quit buying them. I sent people home with leftovers of any sweets that might have been available if company was over.

Cheers
  • twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Options
    When I have a bad day, I've found that just staying busy helps. So when I'm stressed or upset I generally hit the gym. That keeps my mind off of what is bothering me. Also, exercise release endorphins, which makes you happy!

I have to agree with April0815, you should definitely find some sweet treats or comfort foods that are as healthy as possible, but still taste good to you to keep around the house. That way when you need something sweet you can have it and don't need to feel guilty about it. Some days are just harder than others and we all just have to learn to accept that we're human and we make "mistakes". So don't beat yourself up about yesterday, but praise yourself for all the hard work you've done soo far :happy:
  • darthkatalyst
    Options
    well i must also add that the cookies were of my mom's buying. if it were my house i would NOT have that kind of temptation surrounding me 24/7, but considering it is not my house and she eats all of the healthy food I buy and leaves the crap laying around, it's getting a bit frustrating. i wont be leaving my parents house until after Kevin's deployment which is looking like next spring. (When I got pregnant we decided to move in togther and get married once he got home because we would save more money this way.)

When i find that I want something sweet AND healthy I normally have to go buy it on demand, because if i leave it here it's gone in a few days before i can get to it.
  • darthkatalyst
    Options
    A fast walk or jog always cheers me right up afterwards. It releases those feel good endorphins and makes you happy. :smile: And when your done you'll feel so great you won't want those cookies.

Hope this helps.

great idea, thank you! :smile:
    i'll have to save this for later.. it's hitting the 100's today :grumble:
  • darthkatalyst
    Options
    When I'm down, I try to focus on doing things that make me feel good that don't really have anything to do with exercise or food. I'll sit in the sun and read a few pages of a book. I'll listen to my favorite CD too loudly on my stereo. I'll take a shower, put on my most comfy clothes, and watch my favorite movie.

If I want to do something that focuses on exercise or food, I'll take a walk in the sunshine instead of sitting in it with a book. Or I'll drink a tall glass of ice tea while sitting in the sun. Or I'll dance to my favorite CD (looking like a fool in my own living room!) Or I'll munch on grapes (a healthy comfort food for me).

But, by and large, when I'm feeling badly or sad, I try to stay away from food and think about the other pleasures I get in life and go do one of those things.

I'm so sorry to hear about the stress you are going through. Take care of yourself, and I wish all the best for your husband as well.

you totally reminded me of something that sounds really good right now--frozen grapes! haha. I like the idea of doing something fun and enjoyable just to relax and shake away the bad vibes. Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Exercise release endorphins, which makes you happy!

I have to agree with April0815, you should definitely find some sweet treats or comfort foods that are as healthy as possible, but still taste good to you to keep around the house. That way when you need something sweet you can have it and don't need to feel guilty about it. Some days are just harder than others and we all just have to learn to accept that we're human and we make "mistakes". So don't beat yourself up about yesterday, but praise yourself for all the hard work you've done soo far :happy:

Those words are soooooo true. You took the words right out of my mouth.:bigsmile: