Need opinions please!

Options
Ok, im kinda new to myfitnesspal on been on a few weeks, anyway, there are soo many different diets that people are doing, what is your tried and true? do you just track calories and exercise? Thanks for your time!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple.

Move more, eat less.

Track everything you eat and eat those calories earned by exercise.
  • shydal
    shydal Posts: 16
    Options
    move more, increase vegetables, decrease crap
  • redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    80/20 ... your body is built on 80% nutrition and 20% activity.
    Eat often, good choices of course. Drink the recommended amount of water.
    MOVE !! Even if for a 20 minute brisk walk everyday.
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I track everything and work out 5-6 days a week!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Burn more cals than you consume. Start there. Don't make it more complicated than it has to be.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Tracking is your friend! Be honest and accurate. No one "diet" will work. Eat what you like in moderation. Focus on getting more protien, complex cabs, healthy fats and reduce sodium intake. Also, DRINK WATER!!!
  • NiaDelwyn
    Options
    I agree with these ladies... I have tried many things over the past few years. Even though I am over weight I consider myself a master dieter lol. The best thing you could do is be conscious of what you eat and MOVE. It is a lifestyle change.
  • thenis
    thenis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    As others have already mentioned, just eat less junk and exercise 4-5 times a week. I try to keep my carbohydrates under 115 a day. This just means that I cut grains out of my diet and try to stick to homemade everything. The cooking has helped my hubby tremendously as he was having a hard time losing his weight. I am down 60lbs and have met my goal weight. I simply count each and every calorie and try to eat healthy. LOTS of greens!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I didn't follow any specific diet, I just kept track of my calories, carbs, fat, protein, etc. changed my eating habit's a bit and the weight just comes off regardless of how heavy or light you are.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy and move.:drinker:
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking the SPECIAL K 2WK CHALLENGE to jumpstart my eating habbits into a better direction. :) its easy and I just add extra food to my plan when I workout and earn extra calories to eat. I have everything on my blog. from every workout I do to everything I eat throughout the day.. I am usually a huge over eater and love pure junk foods candy hot cheetos u name it. but yea this diet seems to be keeping me on good strict track and i am happy :)
  • KimberlyWIOG
    Options
    It all depends on your body type. Eating healthier and exercising is the norm... but you need to test things out and see how your body best operates. For instance, many people stick to the 1200 per day rule and lose weight. I did that and the scale barely budged. I up'd my calories to 1500 per day and the lbs started falling off. I also eat some of my exercise calories back if my body is craving some more nutrients.

Some people watch their calories, but don't watch the grams of carbs, sodium, protein, fiber, ect. Some are able to lose, and some do not. Personally, I lose the most when I eat less than 100g of carbs per day and eat more protein. AND of course watch my sodium to minimize water retention. (*** just don't peek at my diary for the past few days... I've been on a salt rampage.. and the scale has definitely gone up, lol***)

I used to hate when people told me that I need to experiment and see how my body works, but honestly, after I swallowed my pride and started to do it, it worked. I wish you the best of luck!!! xo
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    80/20 ... your body is built on 80% nutrition and 20% activity.
    Eat often, good choices of course. Drink the recommended amount of water.
    MOVE !! Even if for a 20 minute brisk walk everyday.

:happy: ^^this~ Exercise, eat, cut down on the crap, drink lots of water, and LOG everything, even the bad days. :grumble:
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    There is no silver bullet to this whole thing, yes eat less and move more is a simple way of saying it.
    Find an activity that engages you physically and mentally {find something fun}.
    Certain foods effect people differently, some people eat certain foods and are bloated for a few days.
    Water is a great device in the journey to get healthier, yes any form of water counts but you need to keep in mind what is added to that water {sugars}.
    You did not get to where you are overnight, yoe are not going to get to where you want to be overnight.

I track my caloric intake {everything}; do not count anything but water as water and consume minimal 36 oz a day; I do not plan to eat my workout deficet back {if I eat into it that is okay by me}.

Good luck on your journey.
  • crochelle17
    crochelle17 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I know i need to be more anal about logging, been super bad with that!
  • StephC74
    StephC74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in diets. I personally am trying to make some changes to my eating habits that will help me be healthier. I am trying to eat more fruits and veggies, less processed foods and junk and I am trying to move more. Until 6 weeks ago when I joined MFP I had never even counted calories before. My main reason for doing it now is not to be obsessed with calorie counting but to get an honest look at my habits and to help figure out what a portion size is and recognize what food choices are contributing to my extra weight.
    I want to make changes I can reasonably maintain and make habits out of. My overall goal was to lose 25-30 pounds. I set my goals at loosing a pound a week and exercising for 30 minutes 3 times a week. Nothing drastic or hard to do. I do the 30 day shred 3 times a week and sometimes follow it up with 15 minutes of pilates to target my problem areas. I eat almost 1600 calories a day when I don't work out and around 1850 when I do. I have lost 8 pounds in 6 weeks. Slow and steady and making better choices is my goal.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've tried all different things since starting in November but what's working for me now is getting 30-60 minutes of exercise 5-6 days a week and following the Spike diet plan. It finally broke my plateau that I was going through for a few weeks and it has made dieting SO much easier and more enjoyable. Basically you eat at your BMR 3 days a week, eat at 500 below your BMR another 3 days (but never below 1200 calories), and eat at twice your BMR on your Spike day. I don't eat back my exercise calories either. This creates a weekly calorie defecit and the Spike day prevents starvation mode and really gets your metabolism moving and it's really awesome to have a day where I can eat pretty much what I want and get those cravings out. It's been working really well for me and I've been so much happier dieting since I started. And now I really, really love Sundays (my Spike day). :) I have 11 more pounds to lose and then I'll probably stay on this plan but move to maintenance where you Spike all weekend instead of just one day.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, as long as I stay withing my calorie budget here on MFP. No specific diet. It jus makes you more conscious of what you are using to fuel your body with. It's a mentality that will eventually click. You start to look at food differently. You start making better choices, more informed choices as you start using this tool more and more.

Adding excercise that you find fun is key. You have to enjoy doing it to keep with it.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    We have to be committed for the long haul. As mentioned, this didn't happen overnight and it will take time. It's the day to day decisions about what we eat and workout that matter.

They say the only pound you have to lose is the next one.

Don't worry about yesterday or tomorrow. Just work on eating and exercising right today, because that's all you have. If you do that, over time, you will see results.
  • randomnennie
    randomnennie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on how your body works.

My husband has the metabolism I would kill for.

But what works for me is a diet that is pretty high in protein. But as of late, I have cut out ALL white. No sugar, no flour, etc. I have been eating a lot of kale, spinach, other veggies and low fat meat. And it's been working great!