I am Cavewoman!

Options
Aaaaannnd I'm in the process of going Paleo. I was hoping there would be people greater and more experienced (but you don't have to be from the Pleistocene era) who have transitioned and would like to share how it has been to be grain, legume, and dairy free.

I've noticed my body going into carb-starved mode and wondered what this was like for other cave-dieters. Aside from "seeking doctor's advice before adjusting my fitness and nutrition regimen", is there any advice you'd like to share? I like crowd-sourcing the primal-minded ;)

Has it benefitted you in any way?

Replies

• GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Check out this group, there's a lot of paleo/primal folk here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/54-primal-paleo-support-group

Some are new to paleo/primal, some are more experienced. I'm sure you can find some helpful info by browsing through past topics.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    They call it the carb flu. It's just your body adjusting. Make sure you're eating the same amount of cals as before, just from lean proteins, veggies and some fruit. You'll eventually adjust and feel more energized getting your cals from the increase in protein and fat.
  • treatgirl
    treatgirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Me cavewoman too!!

I've only been doing this for about 9 days, but I bloody love it. Have so much energy and have dropped poundage like crazy so far. Had a head ache on day 2/3 but that was pretty much it for bad side-effects.

I'm keeping track of calories for interest, and to check I'm eating enough protein and not too many carbs. I'm not just eating lean protein though.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    what is this cave woman and paleo you speak of?
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    This diet has given me massive strength gains in the gym. I love it. :smile: All that protein helps so much. I am almost back to doing unassisted pull ups (and the last time I could them was the end of last summer 8 lbs lighter than I am now).
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    what is this cave woman and paleo you speak of?

"The Paleo and Primal diets are both referred to as the caveman diet. While the Paleo diet was first popularized by Loren Cordain, researcher and author of "The Paleo Diet," Robb Wolf, biochemist and author of "The Paleo Solution" also largely contributed to the movement. The Primal diet was developed by Mark Sisson and published in "The Primal Blueprint." Both diets, with a few minor differences, emphasize the consumption of foods that our ancestor hunter-gatherers ate and the avoidance of processed neolithic foods that were introduced after the introduction of agriculture."

Livestong's definition by Agalee Jacob, August 8 2011

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/545380-difference-between-primal-and-paleo-diet/#ixzz1oXk3n0c9
  • SarahSwimmer
    Options
    Wow, Thanks you guys! Curious, has anyone noticed a difference in having dairy vs. no dairy? I'm still eating greek yogurt but looking for a replacement if people think its makes a difference.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    paleo_chart1.png
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Some are new to paleo/primal, some are more experienced. I'm sure you can find some helpful info by browsing through past topics.

Agree - lots of good advice - just plow through some of the past topics and you can find anything from recipes to good websites...

I have been eating clean with a slant towards Primal for about a year...I am in the middle of a 30 day strict Paleo challenge and doing good -

I didn't have any issues since I had already been eating clean but I know some in my group had the headaches, swampy feeling the first few days as the body sort of detoxes itself off the higher carbs and sugars...

I will probably add in some dairy (mainly cheese as I don't really like Milk) and some of the natural sweeteners (honey, maple syrup) when I am finished the 30 day...but more as something occassional rather than an everyday part of my diet.

I honestly 2 weeks in have no cravings for chocolate or sweets...it's great...

My lifting has gotten better but then again i have only been lifting for about 2 months so I don't think I can fully attribute that to going Paleo vs basic improvement...
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've been doing paleo for about a month now (very guilty of cheating a fwe times though) but have found that not having the grainy carbs and dairy has helped me with energy, strength and I'm not backed up! ha (sorry!)

Friending you know if that's cool...I'm trying to get more people that are on my diet/workout regimen!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • SarahSwimmer
    Options
    paleo_chart1.png

Awesome. I will never have questions again! Just kidding...I live to question ;)
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options
    Bump to save the paleo flow chart
  • cracked_belle
    cracked_belle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    paleo_chart1.png

BAHAhAHAHAHA!!!! rock on.
  • cracked_belle
    cracked_belle Posts: 18 Member
    Options

thanks for sharing the link. I didn't even know MFP had groups. XD I suppose the "Groups" tab up there should have tipped me off though, lol.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    paleo_chart1.png

They can't eat peanuts?
  • SarahSwimmer
    Options
    They can't eat peanuts?

It's true (sadly). No one mourns the faceless peanut more than I.
  • emilyrthompson
    Options
    Can you eat tree nuts?
  • SarahSwimmer
    Options
    Can you eat tree nuts?

I don't think I know what those are... I know we can eat almonds and walnuts though.
  • emilyrthompson
    Options
    Tree nuts are all nuts EXCEPT for peanuts. Peanuts grow underground and all of the other nuts you eat, grow on trees. Almonds, cashews, brazils, hazelnuts, pecans, macademias, pine nuts are all tree nuts.