Something I never knew about Peanut Butter

Options
2»

Replies

• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    well i just bought 2 more tubs of skippy natural pb...but i have enjoyed smucker's peanut butter the one with oil on top so i will get that one later
  • wbh0328
    wbh0328 Posts: 2
    Options
    Kroger Private Selection makes a natural organic Peanut Butter that has like three ingredients and doesn't separate. I don't refrigerate it and haven't died yet :smile:
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    This is interesting, I thought by buying organic I was getting just peanuts, but just realized my that favorite brand, MaraNatha Organic No Stir Creamy Peanut Butter, has palm oil and cane juice added. When you compare nutrition facts side-by-side though with the MaraNatha Organic Creamy (not no stir, 100% peanuts, no other ingredients), the differences are minimal... no stir has 1g less or protein, 2g more of sugar.

I think the key here is there is a lot of variation by brand and even within brand. Just read the label everytime.
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Guess I lucked out ... we have 2 machines at our local store ... one does fresh ground almond butter and the other does fresh ground peanut butter. Yes fresh. Kinda like a coffee grinder, but for nut butters. No oils or anything, just the nuts. It's pretty awesome and I've found that I actually like almond butter more than PB .. shocker. Still makes good AB&J sandwiches too! :D
  • CDresp
    CDresp Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Y'all are funny. :laugh:
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    At our Fred Meyers in the natural section there is a big hopper of peanuts and you can grind them into peanut butter
  • deblc6836
    deblc6836 Posts: 59
    Options
    How do you make the natural PB? Don't you need some kind of oil as well - canola or something?

No -- but you do need a good blender.
  • deblc6836
    deblc6836 Posts: 59
    Options
    Guess I lucked out ... we have 2 machines at our local store ... one does fresh ground almond butter and the other does fresh ground peanut butter. Yes fresh. Kinda like a coffee grinder, but for nut butters. No oils or anything, just the nuts. It's pretty awesome and I've found that I actually like almond butter more than PB .. shocker. Still makes good AB&J sandwiches too! :D

I would love that...I remember it from when I was a kid, I think -- but it's not in my area now.
  • cdusanka
    cdusanka Posts: 33
    Options
    How do you make the natural PB? Don't you need some kind of oil as well - canola or something?

I stated in an earlier post (which nobody seemed to read because there are posts afterwards saying natural is too expensive), that you can place a bunch of unsalted roasted peanuts in a blender or food processor and blend it until you get the consistency you want. Depending on how good your machine is, you shouldn't have to add oil...peanuts have a lot of their own oil and it will come out as you blend. But, if you're having difficulty, you can add a bit of MCT Coconut Oil or Virgin Coconut Oil to the mix to get it going...1 Tbsp should be more than enough.
    :flowerforyou:
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I grind my own peanut butter at the grocery store. I never refrigerate mine. I use it up in a couple weeks usually, so I don't think I really need to worry about it. It's never gone rancid on me.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Can you just buy peanuts, or is it a sepcial kin dof peanut. I tried it once, bought some roasted unsalted peanuts, put them in a food processor and blended them real good, and the peanut butter tasted like crap. Is there some trick to it? Also, would love to try other nuts to. Almonds, and what other nuts are good? Hazel nuts?
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Almonds, and what other nuts are good? Hazel nuts?

I think cashews would be pretty good if you like them. I looove cashews!
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Best Choice PB is really good!!! only peanuts and salt in the ingredients list, and smooth as little bits of peanuts in it for some awesome texture. I love it!!