Does anyone else have this happen to them when weighing them

Options
I have only been doing this for about a week and want to lose 10 pounds and according to my scale (it is not the digital kind but I always set it to 0) I have already lost 7 pounds. I know this isn't right especially because I do not even look thinner yet. Does this happen to people?
7 pounds seems like too big of a fluctuation, It usually shows me being 1-3 pounds heavier or lighter every day depending on when I weigh myself.

Replies

• margaretthedevil
    Options
    Whoa! Definitely check another scale, especially since you don't have a lot to lose.
  • cnutbrown
    cnutbrown Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 5 lbs in my first week due to water retention and such.....per my Dr. this loss was due to water consumption increase and doing a bowel clense. After the first 2 weeks my losses slowed to 1.5-2lbs a week.
  • tori_anne
    tori_anne Posts: 28
    Options
    This has actually happened to me before, I think I lost 6 pounds in one day when I knew I hadn't. The next day I weighed as much as i did two days before so I'm pretty sure it was just insane water weight fluctuation.
  • DinosaurMD
    Options
    I guess it's time for me to buy a digital scale. I hated the last one I had though =/
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    weigh a can of something and see if your scale is off. Old ones can be adjusted :)
  • morgie215
    morgie215 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've had that happen and I do have a digital scale and also weighed in at the gym..... Last week I also had it go the other way ~ going up 6 pounds in 1 day and then took several days before it went back down. I think it is water fluctuations, perhaps due to hormones. It is common when you first start dieting/exercising to lose a lot of water weight in the first week or two because you are eating healthier ~ junk food has so much sodium which can make you retain water weight.....
    I'm sure things will even out ~ and just be glad that it went down and not up!!
  • twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Options
    This happens to a lot of people.... I weigh in once a week (Sunday night). I've read that the best time to do it is first thing in the morning but never have time to do that so I stick with the evening. The important thing is just that you pick the same time of day because weight can fluctuate a lot during the day. Also, you should take your measurements as well. I've noticed that on the weeks when the scale doesn't move much that there's still a change in measurements :)
  • brandifry
    brandifry Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I finally got a digital scale, and sure enough my old one (not digital) was 5 lbs off!! I am only weighing in once a week, in the AM and remember around your period it will fluctuate a lot too. I just started a bootcamp this week, and the director sent us an article about the scale and numbers. Yes, it is hard to not weigh in and see the "numbers", but you can also do waist, bust, hip, and thigh measurements and in a month or so do those again to see how many inches you have lost!! You can also tell by your clothes etc. Good luck to everyone!! Keep it STRONG!