treadmill and calories

Options
I have a question about walking on the treadmill. I started by doing a 4.5km/hr walk at a 4 incline and only burned 50 cals in 10 mins.. the guy next to me was at 100 cals in 10 mins and he was at 4.6km/hr with a 4 incline as well. What am I doing different to not burn the same amount? Does it have to do with the weight Im at right now because I remember being able to hit 100 cals in 15 mins and I did a total of 35 mins for only 175 cals -
Any help would be appreciated, as well as giving some information on how fast I should be walking. I weigh 204 lbs currently.

Thanks

Replies

• lovemyself4me
    Options
    seriously? no replies AT ALL?
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have a question about walking on the treadmill. I started by doing a 4.5km/hr walk at a 4 incline and only burned 50 cals in 10 mins.. the guy next to me was at 100 cals in 10 mins and he was at 4.6km/hr with a 4 incline as well. What am I doing different to not burn the same amount? Does it have to do with the weight Im at right now because I remember being able to hit 100 cals in 15 mins and I did a total of 35 mins for only 175 cals -
    Any help would be appreciated, as well as giving some information on how fast I should be walking. I weigh 204 lbs currently.

Thanks

Are you using a HRM to calculate your caloric burn, or the machine? I have found the machine to be highly unreliable.
  • uniquewrapz
    uniquewrapz Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Could be what info you're putting into the machine also...and you didn't say if the guy next to you was the same height/weight, etc

HRM is the best gauge of what calories you're burning.

Do you use the HRM on the treadmill to log your rate? that makes the machine's calculations closer, but again, the HRM you wear is the best.
  • cannikita
    cannikita Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The heavier you are, the quicker you burn calories because you moving a greater amount of weight. If the person next to you was heavier than you, and the treadmill allowed you to enter your weight, then that is likely the reason for the difference in calories burned. Also every treadmill does not calculate calories the same. So if you were on different types of treadmills that could also be a reason.