Did you hear

Options
mrsyac2
mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
That they are possibly going to lower the daily values based off of a 2,000 calorie diet (thats listed on all nutrition facts) to 1700 calories instead.

Replies

• LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I wonder why they are doing that?
  • mrsyac2
    Options

Because America is full of obese people and people really don't need 2,000 calories a day.
    Thats just my take. I don't even know how true it is I need to do some research= But I heard it was being discussed to change it.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Because America is full of obese people and people really don't need 2,000 calories a day.
    Thats just my take. I don't even know how true it is I need to do some research= But I heard it was being discussed to change it.

What the government is trying to cover up, is.............It isn't how much we eat, but WHAT we are eating.........

I can eat 2000 calories a day of protein and fat and drop 3-4 pounds a week. And be a lot healthier for it..............

I can eat a 1000 calories of what they call the food pyramid, chock full of processed grains and such and gain weight too....................

I eat about 1600 calories a day, fat mostly, then protein and then veggies and a bit of fruit and I am doing just fine.................If I exercised more intensely, I would be able to eat about 2000 calories a day or more............

I do light exercise because I am still rehabbing from a car accident I was in a year ago...........
  • pelelovesme1011
    Options
    I don't think lowering the recommended daily calorie intake would do any good. America is still, on the whole, very lazy and will still get fat on 1700 calories a day. I agree LeanLioness; What we eat in those 2000 calories makes all the difference. Perhaps limiting the amount of fat allowed in a McDonalds Big Mac would be more beneficial :laugh:
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Well, the big majority of the "obesse" people in America never even consider how many calories they are taking in throughout the day...
    AND I agree....Its WHAT you eat!!!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    It just comes back to the fact that its impossible to change the way people eat. The only thing we can do is educated the populous and change the way WE eat, hoping to affect those around us. People WILL continue to eat themselves to death.

My DH was actually reading an article last night that shocked him. (I will try to dig it up in a bit and post it in here) It was about a cancer study, and to be part of the study you had to have tried chemo, radiation, surgery and be terminal. Basically, you had to be on your deathbead. What was the prescribed method? A low carb, high fiber diet. The part that shocked him (and the doctors for that matter) were that people would try it for a week and then quit because it was 'too hard' to give up carbs!! WTH?!?! :noway: People who had gone through all those miserable treatments quit because they wanted to keep stuffing their faces with crap. *sigh* :explode:
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    honestly I think the reason on lowering it has to do with the fact that when they started the Recommended daily amount Americans were much more active- Not so much these days you know. (we rely on cars rather than walking around the corner, people rather sit in the house than get outside and play I mean look at the children of America they are cooped up watching tv, playing on the computer or playing video games rather than being outside being a kid and being active)--

But then again it doesn't matter what # they put it at people will still eat however many they want and whatever they want

In referring to Americans lazy as a whole.

My neighbor got a shock of her life her husband and her went to another country and they are fit and the people were surprised that they were americans she asked why their reply was I though all Americans were fat and lazy- Talk about a back handed compliment
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    True on the activity. 300 calories is about three miles. Most people don't walk 300 feet. But like others said most don't know what they're eating so the number really doesn't matter.
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    We shouldn't rely on the government anyway to tell us what we should be eating. Ummmm....unless you think they were doing a good job to begin with.:laugh:
    Kandyjo is right, the people who need to pay attention to it anyways, won't.
    Who cares how many calories you take in when you are eating processed garbage anyway, you're doomed from the start. Eat whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies, and walk/bike/run.....then you will out live the government and we can take back our freedom.......:drinker:

OK, I'm reading a book on government conspiracy, so I'm kinda biased at the moment:wink:
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    Calories add up real fast anyway- You don't realize until you actually count your calories then you understand how fast they add up.

Cant really complain America could battle obesity like China where they measure everyones waists and if it isn't acceptable they fine you if after 6 months you don't get down to where the requirements are.
    China hits obesity in peoples pockets.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Cant really complain America could battle obesity like China where they measure everyones waists and if it isn't acceptable they fine you if after 6 months you don't get down to where the requirements are.
    China hits obesity in peoples pockets.

:noway: Great plan!!! Shame China has so many human rights issues, they've got some great ideas. :ohwell: :laugh:
  • AdamA
    AdamA Posts: 15
    Options
    Right now we have too many big companies profiting from our so called obesity problem. We won't see much change until the laws regarding nutrition change. This is why I'm glad I found this site, to be able to help myself with a giant support group.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I bet it is changing. They've already changed the food pyramid. Hmm..