Advice for weight lifting and muscle build

Options

Replies

• CourtneyB610
    Options
    This helps a ton, thank you!! :))
    Best bet is if your just starting out to adventure into the world of weights is to take it moderate weight and simple excercises. Stick with a simple weight circut such as chest press, squats, rows, weighted lunges, chest flys and deadlifts. Chose a weight that you can lift 10 -15 times were the last five reps are hard but not so hard that your struggling to get up. Do each excercise for 2-3 sets making sure your form is correct. As they become easier either increase the weight or change the excercise.
    Weight lifting for women is very important to build strong bones for the future. You will not get big and bullcky unless you are eating mass quataties of protien. You dont not need to tkae supplments and loads of shakes unless your goal is body building specifcally. If your just looking to tone up and get a little muscle deffantly try to eat a small amount of protien within 30 mintues of working out to help aid muscle recovery. It can be anything from a protien shake to a hanfull of nuts.
    Do seek out adive from a trainer with in your gym just to make sure your form is correct. It is very easy to injure your self doing weight work improperlly. If you do not have access to this there is a great many sources of info on the interent. One sire is particulaary good. Its www.fym.com or google fit yummy mummy.
    This is just my opnion from being a dedicated weight women. Please feel free to ask any questions or if you want tips, adivce and support hopefully i can help.,
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest a heavy weight lifting program.

Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

If you are ready to really get into it, the easiest way to do it is bulking/cutting cycles where you eat above maintenance to gain muscle (but you gain fat too) and then below to lose the fat. If that scares you (and it is scary) and since it's summer, you could eat at maintenance and lift. I bet you'll make good gains (especially if you are new to lifting) and then come fall you can decide if you want to do a real bulking cycle. Winter is "bulking season".
    Before you do 5x5 strength training get your form down first. If you start out lifting heavy and not knowing what you're doing you're just going to hurt yourself.

This exactly! People recommend that others start lifting heavy with no knowledge of the other's current capacity and form. Above all be very careful, don't get hurt by over-extending yourself.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    the easiest way to do it is bulking/cutting cycles where you eat above maintenance to gain muscle (but you gain fat too) and then below to lose the fat.
    MYTH ALERT

Bulking and cutting is a huge myth created by supplements makers so they can sell mass gainers, cutting formulas, and other supplements we don't need and the National Institute of Health and all other government health agencies advise we should avoid unless recommended by a health care professional.

Bulking is nothing more than just adding muscle and cutting is nothing more than burning fat. I bulk and cut at the same time and there's absolutely nothing special about me.

Check out these videos.

• GAIN & LOSE http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961#p/u/2/oi-jnsG0Z7Y
    • FOR HARDGAINERS http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961#p/search/0/Xcuhi6RaZ24
    • PROTEIN SUPS http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961#p/u/5/d4_UY_kIPFU
    • OVERTRAINING http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961#p/u/3/sON-SHTtVCQ
    • SOMA TYPES http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961#p/u/0/aSnnAVxQ8m0
    • ALYSSA: http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961#p/u/0/ahPQwxs1iTc

Good luck and good health!!

Wrong,

You can do bulk and cut cycles with no supplementation at all. The reason why bulk cut cycle is the most effective is that you cannot gain muscle on a caloric deficit unless you are new to lifting. and when bulking you will add some fat, so to get fat off you do a cut cycle with a small caloric deficit so you don't lose much of the lean mass that you added.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    Thank you! I'm contemplating using one of the personal trainers from my gym for a session or 2 so I can get correct form.

Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts 5x5

If you are ready to really get into it, the easiest way to do it is bulking/cutting cycles where you eat above maintenance to gain muscle (but you gain fat too) and then below to lose the fat. If that scares you (and it is scary) and since it's summer, you could eat at maintenance and lift. I bet you'll make good gains (especially if you are new to lifting) and then come fall you can decide if you want to do a real bulking cycle. Winter is "bulking season".
    Before you do 5x5 strength training get your form down first. If you start out lifting heavy and not knowing what you're doing you're just going to hurt yourself.

That's a good way to do it :) Once you know the right form you on your way to success.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts 5x5

This exactly! People recommend that others starting lift heavy with no knowledge of the other's current capacity and form. Above all be very careful, don't get hurt by over-extending yourself.

All three programs recommend people start with lower weights, and have tips and videos for correct form....
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I would you suggest you visit bodybuilding.com - she has her workout regimen and eating regimen there... I just did her 12 week fat burner workout plan...
  • CourtneyB610
    Options
    Thank you so much! And yea, I'd prefer not to injure myself when I'm just starting out with this! Lol.

Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts 5x5

This exactly! People recommend that others start lifting heavy with no knowledge of the other's current capacity and form. Above all be very careful, don't get hurt by over-extending yourself.
  • CourtneyB610
    Options
    Thank you very much!!
    the easiest way to do it is bulking/cutting cycles where you eat above maintenance to gain muscle (but you gain fat too) and then below to lose the fat.
    MYTH ALERT

Bulking and cutting is a huge myth created by supplements makers so they can sell mass gainers, cutting formulas, and other supplements we don't need and the National Institute of Health and all other government health agencies advise we should avoid unless recommended by a health care professional.

Bulking is nothing more than just adding muscle and cutting is nothing more than burning fat. I bulk and cut at the same time and there's absolutely nothing special about me.

Check out these videos.

• GAIN & LOSE http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961#p/u/2/oi-jnsG0Z7Y
    • FOR HARDGAINERS http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961#p/search/0/Xcuhi6RaZ24
    • PROTEIN SUPS http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961#p/u/5/d4_UY_kIPFU
    • OVERTRAINING http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961#p/u/3/sON-SHTtVCQ
    • SOMA TYPES http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961#p/u/0/aSnnAVxQ8m0
    • ALYSSA: http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961#p/u/0/ahPQwxs1iTc

Wrong,

You can do bulk and cut cycles with no supplementation at all. The reason why bulk cut cycle is the most effective is that you cannot gain muscle on a caloric deficit unless you are new to lifting. and when bulking you will add some fat, so to get fat off you do a cut cycle with a small caloric deficit so you don't lose much of the lean mass that you added.
  • happyvitale
    happyvitale Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Glad i could help.
    This helps a ton, thank you!! :))
    Best bet is if your just starting out to adventure into the world of weights is to take it moderate weight and simple excercises. Stick with a simple weight circut such as chest press, squats, rows, weighted lunges, chest flys and deadlifts. Chose a weight that you can lift 10 -15 times were the last five reps are hard but not so hard that your struggling to get up. Do each excercise for 2-3 sets making sure your form is correct. As they become easier either increase the weight or change the excercise.
    Weight lifting for women is very important to build strong bones for the future. You will not get big and bullcky unless you are eating mass quataties of protien. You dont not need to tkae supplments and loads of shakes unless your goal is body building specifcally. If your just looking to tone up and get a little muscle deffantly try to eat a small amount of protien within 30 mintues of working out to help aid muscle recovery. It can be anything from a protien shake to a hanfull of nuts.
    Do seek out adive from a trainer with in your gym just to make sure your form is correct. It is very easy to injure your self doing weight work improperlly. If you do not have access to this there is a great many sources of info on the interent. One sire is particulaary good. Its www.fym.com or google fit yummy mummy.
    This is just my opnion from being a dedicated weight women. Please feel free to ask any questions or if you want tips, adivce and support hopefully i can help.,
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options

Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts 5x5

This exactly! People recommend that others starting lift heavy with no knowledge of the other's current capacity and form. Above all be very careful, don't get hurt by over-extending yourself.

All three programs recommend people start with lower weights, and have tips and videos for correct form....

That's awesome Rae
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for just 7 months and doing as much research as I can. There is sooo much conflicting info out there it is overwhelming.

The only real advice I can give you is:

1. Get enough sleep.

2. Drink enough water.

3.Eat enough protein. <
    1gram per pound of lean body mass is a good enough formula. You can still eat in a deficit but you need to make sure you are getting enough food for the energy it takes to work out. So carbs and fats are still important.

4. Base your exercise around the larger compound lifts. Like chest press, squats, dead lifts, pull ups, rows, lunges, dips, etc.
    Compound lifts are lifts that normally use more than one group of muscles or joints.

5. Isolation exercises (like arm curls) are not necessary at first but should compliment your compound exercises.

6. Dont neglect your core or your cardio. Core is used in most lifts and will keep you from getting injured. Cardio will make your heart and lungs stronger allowing you to get more out of your lifting. Also helps with recovery. You wont need to do as much as if you were doing it for just calorie burning but make sure you push yourself a few times a week for around 20 minutes. Some people will tell you that cardio burns muscle and it definitely can if taken to extremes but conditioning is very important also.

7. Try to give a muscle group at least a couple days rest before working it again. You build muscle while resting. You break it back down in the gym.

8. Look up proper lifting form BEFORE you try doing a lift. Watching someone else in the gym is not a reliable source.

9. Do rotatory cuff exercises. Most common injury for weightlifters.

10. Only do stretches after warming up. And warm up before lifting.
  • clickmaster
    Options
    So how is it a myth?
    Just as I said. You can cut and bulk at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive processes which is why there is no need for cycling between the two. Cutting is just losing fat and bulking is just building muscle and both can be accomplished together at the same time.

The popular myth would have us eating lots of carbs to bulk and then cutting to lose the fat we added while bulking. That process is not necessary which is why it's a myth (that is is necessary). If you go to any GNC store you'll see formulas to help with both processes and those supplements are why naive bodybuilders believe they need to cycle between bulking and cutting phases. There is, of course, no good science to support that theory.

• clickmaster
    Options
    I would you suggest you visit bodybuilding.com
    Don't use bodybuilding.com. It's a scam-site for the purposes of selling supplements and is full of bad information. Check out this list of over 60 dangerous supplement products sold with bogus advertising claims which scam-site bodybuilding.com was forced to recall and take off the market --> http://www.usrecallnews.com/2009/11/bodybuilding-com-supplements-recalled-may-contain-steroids.html . More here --> http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm188957.htm?nav=rss

• MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Looks like a ton of good info here.
    I hear lift heavy a lot...
    For a women slatrting out what weight is considered "heavy lifting" ?
  • clickmaster
    Options
    80% of max is a good weight for beginners through advanced. However, beginners should keep the intensity low and build it slowly over a period of months to prevent DOMS and build neural drive, coordination, etc. Intensity is the effort put forth or the energy expended per unit time during a set. Low intensity would be a few comfortable reps with a set duration <30 seconds. High intensity would be working the muscle and increasing the "burn" until the muscle is paralyzed by lactic acidosis and absolute muscle failure is reached at <90 seconds. It's important to learn to "listen" to your muscles and keep a detailed diary of each workout including the weight and time under load. Strict form should be used until enough experience and knowledge is acquired to allow for "cheating" and advanced exercises including "negatives", "super sets", "fractionals", "pre-exhausts", etc. Use "baby steps"...walk before running. Remember, you're building more than muscle. You're also building more robust organs and systems...a better body.

• clickmaster
    Options
    Wrong,
    Wrong. You can gain muscle on a caloric deficit. Bodybuilders trained without cutting and bulking cycles for many decades up to about the 60s when Joe Weider began turning bodybuilding into a supplement market. There is no good science to support your claim.

Ref:
    http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?page_id=18

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Looks like a ton of good info here.
    I hear lift heavy a lot...

"Heavy lifting" is just whatever you can lift for the required reps without hurting yourself.

When I first started lifting, I couldn't use weights for some of the exercises. I wasn't strong enough. So for me, 'heavy lifting' was my body.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd go with Stronglifts 5x5, mainly because it has you start with the bar only, then you add weight weekly. By the time the weights get "heavy" (minus bench, which is probably the weakest lift for women), you should have form down where you can safely do the exercise without getting hurt.

It looks like you have a good base to start with, but remember how your muscles develop is determined by genetics. You look as if you have the same body type as Jaime Eason, but you may not develop that way. Do 12 weeks of Stonglifts, reassess, then by then you should have a feel for how your body is going to develop.

Also, don't bulk/cut like some bodybuilders do. You worked hard for the body you have now, don't ruin it by a messy bulk. That being said, you can bulk safely, with a slight calorie increase (mostly with lean protein). The reason some body builders can get away with a messy bulk/cut routine is that steroids help immensely with fat loss (and every pro body builder is on steroids).

Good luck!
  • happyvitale
    happyvitale Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This good advice and is really some the best given sp fare.

I have been lifting for just 7 months and doing as much research as I can. There is sooo much conflicting info out there it is overwhelming.

The only real advice I can give you is:

1. Get enough sleep.

2. Drink enough water.

3.Eat enough protein. <
    1gram per pound of lean body mass is a good enough formula. You can still eat in a deficit but you need to make sure you are getting enough food for the energy it takes to work out. So carbs and fats are still important.

4. Base your exercise around the larger compound lifts. Like chest press, squats, dead lifts, pull ups, rows, lunges, dips, etc.
    Compound lifts are lifts that normally use more than one group of muscles or joints.

5. Isolation exercises (like arm curls) are not necessary at first but should compliment your compound exercises.

6. Dont neglect your core or your cardio. Core is used in most lifts and will keep you from getting injured. Cardio will make your heart and lungs stronger allowing you to get more out of your lifting. Also helps with recovery. You wont need to do as much as if you were doing it for just calorie burning but make sure you push yourself a few times a week for around 20 minutes. Some people will tell you that cardio burns muscle and it definitely can if taken to extremes but conditioning is very important also.

7. Try to give a muscle group at least a couple days rest before working it again. You build muscle while resting. You break it back down in the gym.

8. Look up proper lifting form BEFORE you try doing a lift. Watching someone else in the gym is not a reliable source.

9. Do rotatory cuff exercises. Most common injury for weightlifters.

10. Only do stretches after warming up. And warm up before lifting.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    I agree with clickmaster, you can gain muscle whilst losing fat. Diet dictates the excess calories and training/exercise dictates your physical health and fitness. Why spend time cutting, putting yourself into a calorie deficit, to then bulk to add muscle?

With a controlled diet, you can increase muscle and still maintain and even lose body fat. Granted, you may not see drastic improvement but considering half a pound of muscle per week is the standard for non chemically assisted training, the trade off is worth it.

If you lose 2lbs in weight and add half a pound of muscle, the fat loss will only appeal as a pound and a half, this is to be expected. Just as adding the extra protein and micronutrients to your diet will increase your daily calorie intake, your body will process the extra calories with the exercise so you not be taking on excess calories, just burning off what you’ve consumed and still meet your calorie goals.

I’ve lost weight doing this since the New Year, I’ve lost weight and added muscle. So I know for a fact it can be done without cycling cutting and bulking. You may not see huge improvements immediately but you didn’t put excess weight on overnight, did you?