Calf exercises?

Options
I've been doing the 30DS for a few days now, and am finding that my calves get really tight and painful during the jump rope sections. It almost feels like they both have massive charley horses, if that makes sense? They're not an unused muscle, as I do between 1-2 hours on my bike (or trainer) every day or two, so I don't get why they're causing me grief.

Are there any suggestions for exercises I can do to strengthen them, or is it more likely a stretching issue?

Replies

• mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    This happens to me. My calves are probably the most built and toned part of me and they tug and pull on the front of my shins and make it SO painful. I switched to new shoes with more support and it made a world of a difference.

Get some better shoes and hang in there. It will get better over time. The more in shape you get, the less they will hurt :smile:
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    First off, a great calf exercise that I love for strengthening are calf raises. You can start them with just body weight and depending how you feel you can do them with hand weights or how I do them now, with a squat rack.

I do also think stretching is probably a good idea. It could be coming from a general tightness in the calf and the Achilles tendon. I would try spending a minute or 2 stretching out your calves and Achilles before you start and see if that helps.
  • OtakuEngineer
    Options
    Calf raises are awesome and part of my strength training routine. The other thing I do is push through any pain or soreness... I play a lot of dance dance revolution, specifically songs that have a lot of jumping in them. At first I got basically what you're experiencing, but I just kept going, each day getting through the really hard jumping songs, and now after I get warmed up I have no problems jumping all day long.

Know your limits and don't hurt yourself of course, but I know for myself that if I keep pushing my muscles a bit harder every time I workout they get stronger and stuff like them feeling knotted up doesn't happen anymore.
  • mistyrider
    Options
    thanks for the feedback everyone! Today it wasn't as bad, so I guess it's something I just have to tough out!