What are your best most effective ab exercises?

I don't normally work my core but I've been attempting to lately. I've done some research but just wanna see what other people do!

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    My best results come from planks, deadlifts and kickboxing.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Planks and hanging leg raises work well for me.
  • Sit ups with a medicine ball held above my head. Love these!!!

Also, with an exercise ball (the big ones that you sit on). Lie flat on your back, holding it in your arms, arms stretched out above your head. Bring arms and legs up into a "V" and pass the ball from your arms to your feet. Lower ball to the ground and lower arms (lying flat again now). Reverse. Go into a "V", pass the ball back from your feet to your hands. Repeat.
  • Planks are great. Also reverse crunches, bicycle crunches, and Russian twists.
  • ML0305
    ML0305 Posts: 227 Member
    Planks and bicycle crunches!
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    The best thing out of P90X, in my opinion, was Ab Ripper X. I still do variations of the stuff I used on that two to three times a week. Outside of that deadlifts, good mornings (stiff legged deadlifts) and planking work great.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    plank twists
    bicycle crunches
    reverse crunch
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 682 Member
    squats and pullups
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Bellydance undulations, up and down! Wow, I have abs again! :bigsmile:
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/standing-cable-wood-chop
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/standing-cable-lift
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/pallof-press-with-rotation
    Cruches on a stability ball holding a weight straight up over you chest
    Standing side crunch - weight over head as if pulling down to the side as I lift straight to the side the leg of the same side (hope you understand that explanation, lol)

(I am keeping this on a ready to copy file - topic of the day is ABS... )
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    I don't normally work my core but I've been attempting to lately. I've done some research but just wanna see what other people do!

My core gets some decent work just from powerlifting movements. More direct work I like Hanging Leg Raises and Palloff Presses.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    The key to hitting the directly is finding an exercise that allows you to flex the spine, so you're actually working the abs, not just the hip flexors.

I've found the best exercise to be weighted crunches on an exercise ball. I can flex my spine over the back of the ball and come up just high enough so I don't engage my hips. A couple of heavy sets and my abs are toast.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Using an incline bench on the highest setting possible and pushing a 35 lb. weight towards the ceiling as I do a the sit ups, so I do not come up completely, I just push as high as I can in vertical line. I touch my back slightly as I go down, then repeat.