Help please! Need some tips!!

Options
So this Saturday I will be doing this for 2 weeks its much easier than I expected...and that is good news!
However i am going to San Diego for 2 days for my gfs birthday and I dont want to mess up. I know there is a couple places I want to go that the restaurants dont have nutrition guides posted on their web sites. For those of you that have survived vacation any tips? any thoughts would be great really....

Also, if i was to workout the next few days and not eat my exercise calories would i be able to eat them the days im on vacation without weight gain? lol am i the only one who has thought about this??????

Suppose to leave Tuesday any help is appreciated!!!!:ohwell:

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,951 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: stay out of restaurants whenever possible

:flowerforyou: order things like broiled fish or chicken with no sauce or dressing, steamed veggies w/o butter or sauces, salad w/o dressing

:flowerforyou: draw a line across the middle of your food so you can eat half and take the other half with you for a meal later

:flowerforyou: If you order something you know is a bad choice, eat half and don't take the rest with you

:flowerforyou: take every opportunity to walk, swim, use the fitness room in the hotel, or do any other active thing that's available

:flowerforyou: say no to birthday cake
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Sorry but we don't get to treat our calories like roll over minutes. It would be great if we did!

What I do on vacation is try to watch my portion sizes. If I can spit a meal with someone or take half home and eat later. Or even just eat half and let them throw out the rest. Might be wasteful but I'd rather waste it in the garbage than have it waste in my body.

I don't know if you're a drinker but alcohol calories add up quick so limit the drinks.

I hear San Diego is beautiful. Take some walks and enjoy the city. I'm sure there is alot to see and do.

Happy Birthday to your GF! Have a fun celebration!
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    if you dont eat them now and then mow down later it wont do any good. you just have to use your best judgment and really think about everything before you order
    would i rather have this dish this once or loose 2 pounds this week
  • schmoopie1213
    Options
    So this Saturday I will be doing this for 2 weeks its much easier than I expected...and that is good news!
    However i am going to San Diego for 2 days for my gfs birthday and I dont want to mess up. I know there is a couple places I want to go that the restaurants dont have nutrition guides posted on their web sites. For those of you that have survived vacation any tips? any thoughts would be great really....

Also, if i was to workout the next few days and not eat my exercise calories would i be able to eat them the days im on vacation without weight gain? lol am i the only one who has thought about this??????

Suppose to leave Tuesday any help is appreciated!!!!:ohwell:

yeah i do dont eat the food or count out your cals or
    DONT GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TheWayIUsed2Be
    Options
    Those are good tips! keep em coming!!!!!! :laugh:
  • bugmagnt
    bugmagnt Posts: 150
    Options
    I agree with others: watch your portions and perhaps think about how the food is prepared, but I still think you can celebrate the birthday and have some dessert too! One spulge won't hurt -- just go for a walk around the bay (i can't remember the name of the little touristy shopping area), in Balboa Park, Old Town, or on Coronado Beach right behind the Hotel del Coronado -- it is absolutely beautiful there!!

Have fun!:smile:
  • Paradise2009
    Options
    I use to belong to Weight Watchers and you can plan for trips. Then you can splurge one day but imnediately go back to your diet. Try eating skewers, they have low calorie points. I like shrimp skewers. Hope it goes well.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    So what I did on my vaca was to pre plan, a lot. You can choose the days you know you will eat out and make sure you choose meals the are super low for your other meals that day. Light breakfast, light lunch, healthy but yummy choice out. Make sure that at least 1/2 your food on your plate is veggies. Box half your main dish. Snack on veggies! Peppers, cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes. Eat small snacks all day so you don't get hungry. Make sure you move, take the stairs to your hotel room and park far away so you have a little hike back after eating. Go for a walk everyday, the time of day doesn't matter and if you only have a short time slots of free walking time do short walks a few times each day.

But the best advise you could get would be to have fun and don't be hard on yourself. Once you make a choice then it is done so let it go and do better next time.

:flowerforyou: Safe travel to you, you will do great!

228826.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • countryfrench
    Options
    Get a hotel room with a fridge and microwave if possible. Go to the grocery and get some healthy high proteing/low carb snacks/foods like some yogurt, cut up veggies, individual packets of peanuts, fiber cereal, etc. Try to eat some in your room like breakfast, etc. Keep healthy snacks in your purse/back pack as an alternative to being held captive by the snack bar in Sea World or the Zoo or wherever.

Eat a snack like a yogurt, some veggie sticks, or a pack of peanuts before going out to a restaurant so you won't be starving.

Order grilled chicken. Get salad dressing on the side or ask for oil and vinegar. Ask for half-sized portions. Ask for substitutions for the sides that come with a meal-- like a side salad or soup subbed for french fries

And, don't stress if you blow one meal. If you don't cut yourself some slack once in a while you will never be able to maintain a lifestyle long term.
  • mappy
    mappy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    1. Don't show up to any meal starving.

2. Keep fruits and veggies that travel well in your purse and snack on them periodically.

a. Grapes - always juicy (even at room temp)
    b. Carrots - 1 or 2 medium, unpeeled but washed (peeled carrots are too wet)
    c. Fuji Apple - always crisp and juicy (even at room temp)
    d. Low Fat Granola (not high fat bars) but loose in a baggy - eat it with your fingers like popcorn.
    ALL OF THESE ARE CRUNCHY.

3. Water, Water, Water

4. Eat the cake, not the frosting.